Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mult-CPU support?  (Read 14756 times)

XeonPower

Mult-CPU support?
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:26:55 AM »
I see the "Multiple Processor Support" checkbox in the settings menu, but when I check it nothing happens. I am watching Task Manager and the program still only uses one thread. I am running the program on a six-core Core i7 processor and just wanted to know if I am doing something wrong since this would no doubt increase performance many times over. Also, I am running the Steam version if that matters.

Thank you.

P.S.
Absolutely awesome program!! I am no astrophysics expert, just a biology grad and I can't tear myself away from it! I love it!

Carnage2K4

• Faith Kicker
Re: Mult-CPU support?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »
going by some tests I did on my quad, it merely spreads out the process over the extra cores but will still only utilise the max process a single core can do.

for example on a single running at max, it will take up 100% of that core, but only 25% overall on a quad (or 16.6% on a hex).
if it's spread over all the cores it will still only utilise 25% (16.6% hex) overall but only use between 1-50% on any 1 of the cores at a time.
so the cores could be running at 4%, 15%, 3%, 3% for a total of 25%.

so as far as I see there is no benefit for the option.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:33:09 AM by Carnage2K4 »

Joshimitsu91

• Hit me up on Steam: "Joshimitsu91"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:44:28 AM »
Dan Dixon has stated somewhere that the option is still in development and isn't very useful at the moment, so i don't bother with it (for now anyway).

Zaggeh

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:51:09 AM »
"Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted.  You may wish to review your post."

Dan Dixon has stated somewhere that the option is still in development and isn't very useful at the moment, so i don't bother with it (for now anyway).

Hah, you beat me to it.  I'm stubborn though so I'll post anyway. :-P

The multi processor support is still being worked on.  It's not really considered a finished feature.  It has some issues and doesn't really provide that much of a noticeable performance increase.  I'm sure it's on the list of things to do though.  (Actually, it is.  labeled as In Progress in the Community Idea List)

Joshimitsu91

• Hit me up on Steam: "Joshimitsu91"
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »
Hah, you beat me to it.  I'm stubborn though so I'll post anyway. :-P

The multi processor support is still being worked on.  It's not really considered a finished feature.  It has some issues and doesn't really provide that much of a noticeable performance increase.  I'm sure it's on the list of things to do though.  (Actually, it is.  labeled as In Progress in the Community Idea List)

Ha, sorry about that ;) Yeah, thats where i read it too come to think of it!

ChemicalBR0

• flying is just falling without hitting the ground
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »
if you hover over the option it also pops up a tooltip telling you it's experimental.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »

Eventually this feature will be turned on by default (and may go away eventually altogether, meaning that you won't be able to disable the multi-core support). No worries even if it's on it will still work on single core systems.

XeonPower

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 12:04:14 AM »
Ok, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something wrong with my install/machine.

LimitlessAeon

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
Poor Dan has to read repeat posts constantly. I'm surprised he still replies to these haha. I wonder how many multi-CPU threads there are on the forums :P

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:18:46 PM »
Actually these forums are smaller than you think.

Vohn_exel

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 02:00:10 AM »
Poor Dan has to read repeat posts constantly. I'm surprised he still replies to these haha. I wonder how many multi-CPU threads there are on the forums :P

Someone should make a compendium of everything he's said so far, like what was done with Notch and Minecraft.

Tirao

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 04:10:57 AM »

Eventually this feature will be turned on by default (and may go away eventually altogether, meaning that you won't be able to disable the multi-core support). No worries even if it's on it will still work on single core systems.

Some CPUs get really hot on 100% usage over time, so an option like:

On multiprocessor systems, use at most X of the processors

and

Use at most X % CPU time.

would be cool.

LeBob

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
Oh good, it's not just me with the multicore issues, I sometimes get 8fps when I have dust multiplication on 25, but only 15% of my CPU is in use, so is it the program limiting the fps or a part if my system?

chew

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »
This seems almost to be the right place to ask about PhysX support. (?)

Dan, what are your thoughts on that?

Cheers

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:18:59 AM »
Oh good, it's not just me with the multicore issues, I sometimes get 8fps when I have dust multiplication on 25, but only 15% of my CPU is in use, so is it the program limiting the fps or a part if my system?

There's no arbitrary limitation, and I'm not sure why it's so low. It's fair to say there are many opportunities to improve the multi-core support in the future.

This seems almost to be the right place to ask about PhysX support. (?)

It's a good idea, but no plans for it at the moment. That said, I haven't ruled it out.

LeBob

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »
I thought it might be one of the parts of my pc, but the RAM is under 40%, the CPU under 20% and my graphics card is very low too ( I ran Black ops alongside US with no trouble). I've tried making the exe a higher priority but to no avail...

Aephion

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
Oh could it be that Windows 7 auto-distributes resources by estimations? Because US, loading the default empty system isn't taxing at all, so if W7 just assumes that's what it needs plus a small buffer, that's just not gonna cut it for the larger simulations, right? :)

Just tossing a thought out there ^_^

chew

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 04:25:48 AM »
It's a good idea, but no plans for it at the moment. That said, I haven't ruled it out.

This might help: PhysXâ„¢ Candy Wrapper http://tinyurl.com/3kwz5bd

Puddin

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
I have to agree incorporating PhysX can make a world of difference for a game based on physics.  Will help with alot of the ideas on the wishlist such as merging bodies (bunches of rock can pull themselves into a sphere with enough mass) as well as thermal effects as well.

As far as that goes though it is all alot of work for one man.  Are you doing this by yourself Dan?  (if so many props to you) You have built up quite a user and fan base at this point for your software, why not ask the community for help?
I can honestly see myself throwing quite a few hours at a project like this for nothing more than amusement.

Enkidu

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
Registered to bump vote PhysX support. I am running an sli setup and the second card would be MUCH better utilized as a PhysX slave.

Edit: Also, I agree with Puddin. I noticed that US is number 11 on the top sellers on Steam right now. Whether it be from the community or from a hired pool... extra hands and eyes are ALWAYS beneficial.

Congrats on the success so far. This has the makings of something truly amazing. I am sure the community would love to help.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:19:06 PM by Enkidu »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »
I say its from the community.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »
Portal Bundle is below Universe Sandbox. lol

Ooooh!!!! DiRT 3 comes out May 24?

LeBob

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »
Is there a way of making the application use more ram or memory? I'm sick of the lag when there's 10GB of Ram sitting doing nothing...

Sycosys

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
Why haven't Any of you Mentioned OpenCL?

OpenCL Works for ALL processing cores, GPU, CPU, ATI, NVIDIA,INTEL,AMD