Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden - Killed  (Read 7073 times)

Chaotic Cow

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
Osama Bin Laden - Killed
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...den-dead-obama

Osama bin Laden, the criminal mastermind behind al-Qaida and the world's most sought-after terrorist since the attacks of 11 September 2001, has been killed by a US operation, President Barack Obama will announce late on Sunday night.

Osama's body is in possession of the US, having been killed in Pakistan as the result of a US special forces and CIA operation, according to the first leaks of reporting from the US television networks.

President Obama is to make a highly unusual Sunday night live statement to announce the news, around 11pm eastern time.

The news comes eight years to the day that President George Bush declared "Mission accomplished" in Iraq – but it is now the unlikely figure of Barack Obama is the commander in chief who announces the final triumph over the focus of so much international attention.

This is a turning point in the global "war on terrorism" that has been waged since 9/11 – and the news will reverberate around the world.

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
Re: Osama Bin Laden - Killed
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
I suppose, even if Osama was killed, wouldn't the members still attack?

raxo2222

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:54:58 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...den-dead-obama

Osama bin Laden, the criminal mastermind behind al-Qaida and the world's most sought-after terrorist since the attacks of 11 September 2001, has been killed by a US operation, President Barack Obama will announce late on Sunday night.

Osama's body is in possession of the US, having been killed in Pakistan as the result of a US special forces and CIA operation, according to the first leaks of reporting from the US television networks.

President Obama is to make a highly unusual Sunday night live statement to announce the news, around 11pm eastern time.

The news comes eight years to the day that President George Bush declared "Mission accomplished" in Iraq – but it is now the unlikely figure of Barack Obama is the commander in chief who announces the final triumph over the focus of so much international attention.

This is a turning point in the global "war on terrorism" that has been waged since 9/11 – and the news will reverberate around the world.

Link is screwed, go here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/world/asia/osama-bin-laden-is-killed.html

matty406

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:15:11 AM »
There's topics about this EVERYWHERE.
I actually think they could've tried a bit harder to get him alive...

Chaotic Cow

• President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
lol...Well when you are being shot at you tend to shoot back.

Joshimitsu91

• Hit me up on Steam: "Joshimitsu91"
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
I'm sure i read they were ordered to shoot him unless he was naked, because they thought he might have had a bomb strapped to him.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
Wtf

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
Days after the confirmed death of Osama, there was a twin explosion in Pakistan.

spaceless

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
I'm sure i read they were ordered to shoot him unless he was naked, because they thought he might have had a bomb strapped to him.

Why would they think that, considering they somehow must have speculated that no one of Osamas people or Osama himself knew they would be coming? I don't think Osama hab a bomb strapped to him all the time, those people tend to wear them only for a few specific hours...;P

Articles say btw that Osama himself was unarmed. Also one of his wives was shot in the leg, while Osama was shot in the chest and head. That was clearly a kill-mission, IF they wanted him alive, they would have accomplished that. I mean dozens of Navy Seals surrounding a small perimeter like that without the residents knowing...they never had the slightest chance of resistance.

EDIT

Off-topic: I'm wondering how often it happens that "Osama" gets accidentally misspelled "Obama"....ever wondered about that too, anyone? ^^
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:50:15 PM by spaceless »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
My teacher accidentally said "Obama" one time. ;D

spaceless

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
I'm just waiting for Obama himself, in the heat of a speech, to say "Obama" only once :D Probably won't ever happen though ^^

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »
Why would they think that, considering they somehow must have speculated that no one of Osamas people or Osama himself knew they would be coming? I don't think Osama hab a bomb strapped to him all the time, those people tend to wear them only for a few specific hours...;P

I wasn't suggesting what happened... i was telling you what i read. Despite that i think it would be perfectly within reason to assume that a man who is the spiritual leader of a huge terrorist organisation to have some sort of booby trap or weapon on him or near his bed.

I don't see the point of capturing someone to spend money on trials and stuff just to eventually hand them back over so they can be killed anyway...

spaceless

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
I didn't say it would have been better if they captured him alive. Would have been worse for the government since they would have had to think of how to deal with him in order to not upset people, and with people I mean Americans, because most of them wanted to see him only dead. And not upsetting the terrorists, well, that would have been impossible anyway ^^
So killing him was surely the easiest way of settling the matter, I agree.

Btw, I'm not saying at all that I think what you read is necessarily wrong, I just find it to be unlikely for a guy like him to have a booby trap directly next or even on him, because then he would be dead anyway, not having a single chance to escape. I find it more likely for them to have an underground escape route, which he would be using while his minions hold off the foes.....though of course no one has a chance to escape if surrounded by half an army while 10 or so on his side.

But that's just my 2 cents ;)

EDIT

Haha, just read (;)) Osama had quite a big and modern adult film collection in his hideout :D Must've been his wives', for sure xD
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:17:52 PM by spaceless »

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
Yeah just i hear alot of people complaining about him being killed, i didn't aim that at you sorry :) I think they've saved alot of hassle. But then again, it wouldn't have been my problem i guess being from UK and all :P

spaceless

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »
I noticed you being english, read it in your profile ^^
In fact I myself didn't bother much about that whole Osama thing, we're just discussing a little here, which i think is always a good thing :)

Now what do you think about that adult film collection? You think he liked blondes? :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:09:17 PM by spaceless »

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »
Now what do you think about that adult film collection? You think he liked blondes? :D

Without a doubt! Lol.

ChemicalBR0

• flying is just falling without hitting the ground
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
there's only 1 thing to say really.
thank **** he's dead

the only bad thing about it is that they took so bloody long to do it.

he was a mass murdering terrorist scumbag who didn't deserve to be treated as a human being.
he didn't even deserve to be treated like an animal.
he was a disease of the planet that needed to be eradicated. a job well done i say.

even if they did take him alive it would have been a long drawn out case that would probably have seen him sent to the chair anyway.

so it saved them the electricity bill.

spaceless

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
In another forum I stated that I'm the first one outta here as soon as space flights become cheap. Reading posts like yours everywhere proves how hate only breeds more hate, it's a damn vicious circle.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand those feelings and I too think he wouldn't have had the right to be defended by any means (in court I mean). But I also think that the true "disease" that needs to be eradicated is all that religious fanaticism that obviously tells those people to do things that don't even have a thing to do with their religion. I cannot understand why certain people believe what they believe, I probably never will, but there is something that makes them behave that way and that should be eradicated. As long as there's violence there will only be violence.

But probably I'm too liberal for our world, so I'll just wait for those space flights. Of course the shuttle can only take up my do-gooder-soul by then, cause the flesh's already rotten, but I'll take that ;D

EDIT

Oh and there's more news on that adult film collection. It's been taken into custody by the participating soldiers :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:38:30 PM by spaceless »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »
I don't think it's abuse of religions to be a religious fanatic. It's a pointless defense of religion to say that the things fanatics do have nothing to do with them, in my opinion.
Certainly the idea of being rewarded for killing other people after death has something to do with suicide bombing, just like the "kill the gays" some Christians are trying to implement in Uganda has everything to do with religion.
There will be religious fanatism as long as there is religion. We may have become a bunch of moderates, most of us in Europe, but if people ever forget to question religion, I think it can jump right back to fanatism, just like it has done in USA, which wasn't always as religious as it is now.

However, the reason why the western world is so hated in some other parts of the world isn't only because of religion. I think it is especially because of our greediness (like the EU's protection of its own agriculture, export of milk powder, forcing thousands or millions of African farmers to be unable to sell their own milk to their own market), how we always start wars with countries we disagree with (and often we have good reasons to disagree with them).

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »
GIMME LAOS. NOW.

spaceless

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 03:17:47 AM »
I don't think it's abuse of religions to be a religious fanatic. It's a pointless defense of religion to say that the things fanatics do have nothing to do with them, in my opinion.

I didn't say that. I said the things fanatics do, have mostly nothing to do with their religion. For example the suicide bombings you mention. In fact they are a pure contradiction to the koran. Killing innocent people is condemned by it's writings and no one will get rewarded for that. So why are those people doing it? Is it a misunderstanding? Do they get misled by someone? I don't know. But "to be a religious fanatic" exactly means "to abuse religion". It's probably done to force oneselfs opinions and established structures. Those people are afraid to lose something, but I guess it's quite complicated to see what. And they are stubborn, just like the pope and a part of his followers. It's the same in every religion.

Anyway, religion itself is not the problem but how it is conveyed. My passport says I'm catholic, but I'm not religious at all. Why not? Cause it was conveyed to me as not important but still something positive, as long as it's peaceful. But thinking it is not important for the world doesn't give me the right to condemn any religion in its entirety.
just like the "kill the gays" some Christians are trying to implement in Uganda has everything to do with religion

I didn't hear about that, but after googling a bit it seems that's more something mainly political mixed up with a little bit of horribly conveyed beliefs.

------------

Probably a lot of that behavior has to do with the general mentality a people shows. The US kinda tends to be a little extreme in nearly every part of society, and they kinda always have been quite puritanical, so I don't really know what you mean with "[...]USA, which wasn't always as religious as it is now".
[...]how we always start wars with countries we disagree with[...]

Huh? Which wars did we, the EU, start? I agree that a lot of the policies are only beneficial for one side, but going from there to starting wars is quite a big step.

Btw, I don't know if I always choose the right words to express my thoughts since I'm talking/writing quite a lot at the moment and I'm not a native speaker, but I hope my phrases are well comprehensible ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:47:16 AM by spaceless »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 08:57:29 AM »
I didn't say that. I said the things fanatics do, have mostly nothing to do with their religion.
By "them", I was exactly refering to their religion.

For example the suicide bombings you mention. In fact they are a pure contradiction to the koran. Killing innocent people is condemned by it's writings and no one will get rewarded for that.
Is it? Remember that religious texts are often self-contradictive. Pointing out one verse to say "this is a book of peace, and anyone who doesn't agree has nothing to do with the religion" doesn't really work, because holy books aren't always that consistent, so the other side can pretty much do the exact same, but simply to the opposite point of view.
Let me point out three small lists of not so peaceful/tolerant verses which have been found within the Quran:
Cruelty
Intolerance
Injustice
It doesn't surprise me, with this amount of garbage in them, that holy books have been used to do insane things for thousands of years, and that this still happens today. I don't see any reason to distinguish between holy books or any other books when judging them.

But "to be a religious fanatic" exactly means "to abuse religion".
I'm pretty sure that this is not the definition. These all define it as a sort of irrational, unquestionable, extreme devotion to a cause:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fanaticism
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fanaticism
http://www.yourdictionary.com/fanaticism
I have not seen it being defined as "abusing religion" anywhere. But if "abusing religion" is the same as "following it unquestionably and excessively according to your understanding of it", then you're probably right. :P This is just the point where I don't see it as abuse any more than following it casually (in fact I think the moderates are actually further from following the religions than the fanatics are).

Anyway, religion itself is not the problem but how it is conveyed.
Since it is so often conveyed wrongly, might it not be a sign that there's something wrong with what's being conveyed? I mean, if anyone writing the Bible, if there were any good god who could see into the future, surely that god would had told the followers "leave out Leviticus and forget all about this nonsense", rather than including it, resulting in the death of millions of innocent people and totalitarian regimes lasting a millennia.

My passport says I'm catholic, but I'm not religious at all. Why not? Cause it was conveyed to me as not important but still something positive, as long as it's peaceful.
I think the only way to make Christianity peaceful is by deliberately cherry picking the peaceful parts and ignoring all the bad things, or saying you get a good message out of the cherry picked good parts. Even Jesus said no one who did not hate his (and her?) mother, farther and if I remember correctly, whole family, could not be his disciple, and said no rich people could enter heaven (ha, forget everything about neo-Conservative Jesus now, Sarah Palin!), or at least that it was harder than getting camels through the eye of a needle, so I guess it's just time to make liquid camel or mass-produce some very big needles.

But thinking it is not important for the world doesn't give me the right to condemn any religion in its entirety.
With free speech, I think we have the right to condemn religions as we like?

I didn't hear about that, but after googling a bit it seems that's more something mainly political mixed up with a little bit of horribly conveyed beliefs.
I think this is a perfect example of the pointless defense some non-religious people make for religion. Why not protect the politics and say mainly mainly religious instead?
Certainly, it is mainly religious. The history:
Long ago, Africa was a place where gays were not killed.
Then Europe colonized Africa, made everyone slaves, stole their resources and all that. During this time, the colonial powers forbade homosexuality.
Then the west officially stopped colonizing Africa.
Then the west became more tolerant of gays. Africa has also been infected by Christianity.
Now some people in Africa say "the Bible says homosexuality is unnatural, gays are abominations who should be killed, it is an evil culture from the west".

And guess what happened in Uganda a few years ago... An American church went over there to preach hate, and since then Uganda has gone from the insane ban on "homosexuality" to the worse than insane threat of death penalty and totalitarian penalties for not reporting if you know a gay within x amount of time.
I recommend a video called "Vanguard: Missionaries of Hate". I found it on YouTube, but now it's apparently private. But it does well in showing the problems, without being afraid of mentioning religion in a bad light.

Probably a lot of that behavior has to do with the general mentality a people shows.
Well, today, thanks to Christianity, homophobia has been spread from a small culture (homophobia is cultural, not homosexuality) to all around the world, and it is true that today many people, who are not even religious, are still homophobic. I've even heard someone call Christian boy scout groups "gay scout groups".

The US kinda tends to be a little extreme in nearly every part of society, and they kinda always have been quite puritanical, so I don't really know what you mean with "[...]USA, which wasn't always as religious as it is now".
I meant that, at least when it was less religious, this nonsense could not be used as justification for insane opinions. Now it can. My point is that we may think "religion has evolved into a peaceful, moderate version in the west", but with this example, I'm trying to show that religions which contain absurdities like Christianity will always threaten us to jump back into the radical state, where it is "abused".

Huh? Which wars did we, the EU, start? I agree that a lot of the policies are only beneficial for one side, but going from there to starting wars is quite a big step.
I meant USA here, mostly. Well, NATO led by USA, because most of EU happily jumps after USA wherever it goes.
All arguments in defense of our wars in Libya and Iraq would end up being based solely on how we disagree with their dictators. I think our reasons to disagree with them are perfectly valid.

Btw, I don't know if I always choose the right words to express my thoughts since I'm talking/writing quite a lot at the moment and I'm not a native speaker, but I hope my phrases are well comprehensible ;D
I didn't have any problems understanding them at all. I'm not native English either.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
i remember on a fake us citizen test, i put osama bin laden for the name of US vp :P