Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Constant crashing is ruining my play  (Read 4358 times)

craigy

Constant crashing is ruining my play
« on: May 01, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
Hello,

I love the concept of this game and I wish I could enjoy it, however the constant crashing means I cannot play this game. Firstly, the amount of crashing I am getting is ridiculous, often every 10 minutes. But now I cannot even launch the game, I am stuck in a constant loop of launching, crashing, sending error report. Now, I know there are fixes for most things, so can anyone please offer me any suggestions on fixing this?

I have tried deleting all game files and reinstalling, and my graphics drivers are the most recent.

anyone???

LoganTheFool

• YES ITS STILL USED
Re: Constant crashing is ruining my play
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »
*sigh* I am having the same problem, its reinstalling for the 3rd time. I might just have to waste money and buy it from here.

bojo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:36:24 AM »
When you restart it theres an option somewhere to start it with an empty simulation to prevent it going into a cycle of crashes....memories not working now cos i've only had to do it once, but i'm sure someone else will know.

bojo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:24 AM »

Zaggeh

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 06:15:56 AM »
When you restart it theres an option somewhere to start it with an empty simulation to prevent it going into a cycle of crashes....memories not working now cos i've only had to do it once, but i'm sure someone else will know.

It's actually on the crash error report screen.  There should be a more/advanced options or something like that near the bottom, and then a little arrow to expand it in the bottom left.  Restart last simulation is checked by default.  Uncheck it and you should be good!

I think this option is a bit obscure.  I'd prefer that it just set a flag when it crashes and then show a dialog box next time it loads "Universe Sandbox quit working unexpectedly last time.  Would you like to reload the last simulation?"  Kind of similar to how Google Chrome handles it's crashes. :-P

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
I think this option is a bit obscure.  I'd prefer that it just set a flag when it crashes and then show a dialog box next time it loads "Universe Sandbox quit working unexpectedly last time.  Would you like to reload the last simulation?"  Kind of similar to how Google Chrome handles it's crashes. :-P

Agreed. This is how I'll change it to make it work. If not in today's update, one later this week.

craigy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
Thanks all for responses.

Starting without the simulation worked. Having this button a bit more visible would definitely be a good idea.

I can now play again, thanks for this game.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »
Just made the code change in the last hour. Will update the fix later today.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:51:51 AM »
The fix is now live on Steam (as of 7 hours ago).