Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split optimization focus  (Read 3895 times)

Physics_Hacker

Split optimization focus
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
I had an idea, but I'm not sure if it could be implemented, though if so, it could really help with system performance when doing complex simulations, so here it is:

There could be a dropdown menu each time you open a new simulation, that would show options of different categories from which you can choose, and when you do, whatever you selected will be the main focus on what the system processes. for example, if you select "Gravity" the simulation will be biased to simulate gravity more accurately. Choosing "Climate" will focus on climate more than gravity, making planets have better climate simulation, once SPH is implemented there could be the option "Hydrodynamics" in which the system would focus more on how the insides of planets or the distribution of a nebula or protoplanetary disk would be the main focus of the simulation. I feel like this wuld greatly increase performance and, possibly, fps. There could also be an "Other" option so that the simulation won't have a focus point, meaning it will keep the system already used. Also, there should be an option in the settings as to whether all simulations run on the "Other" option or not, for those people that might not want to have to choose their simulation type every time or just make such varied simulations that choosing one option. If possible it might be nice to be able to select a main and a secondary focus point but probably wouldn't be outright required.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
Re: Split optimization focus
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
Finally, a great idea! 8)

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »

storm027

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:08:42 PM »
wonder what the devs will think of this idea, sounds interesting to me

Only2ndplace

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »
I also think, this would be very nice idea, especially for beginners, who don't know about all the options in the simulation menu, though don't know how hard it would be to implement.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
Also, what about a "No Render" mode, where the only thing the program actually renders is the UI? It could help with those of us that want to run long-time-scale simulations and still have them be accurate (I ran a hand-made solar system simulation all night last night running as fast as accurately possible, and it only advanced two years...so sad...) it could help, if nothing else, so that we don't have to go through and set all our settings to the lowest ones and then return them to normal when we want to see what we're doing...It could probably reduce the need to use computing power for rendering even more than setting the render mode to wireframe mode too, since even using that, the engine has to render and update that constantly which does use computing power that could be used for gravity.

DoctorWh0?

• You...shall not...pass!!!(This physics test)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
Great idea, I think should be implemented Alpha 20.

Hyper_Schnitzel

• Physics is Phun!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 06:37:40 AM »
I like that idea a lot...
It is kinda like the different render options but with processing... maybe they could implement it in the physics settings, or just make a drop down menu like you said

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 12:29:16 PM »