Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What the F dash dash dash word Just Happened To Me? Black sun:Computer shuts off  (Read 10858 times)

Jlukehypernova

Okay, Here's what happened. I decided to play my Universe sandbox 2 game that I bought just a few days ago, right? And I like destroying things, so I made Mars smash into the earth, that was cool, then I smashed Venus into the earth, that was cool too. Then i really started thinking big and said... What if i made the sun a black hole? And I was running these simulations in real time. So I came into first person view on earth, I locked the sun's mass and started shrinking the sun down to below 1 km. And then the numbers skyrocketed to something like 6500000km. I'm already a little confused at this point. Then I started increasing the sun's mass to I think above 100,000,000 Solar masses. Then I looked at earth's speed and it was accelerating to above the speed of light, before I knew it I was moving at over 10 times the speed of light. I saw mercury and venus dissapear, then the Earth dissapeared inside the black hole, and now I was just in space, but the weird part is I was still in first person view. So I was thinking what just happened? So I panned around and then I saw the sun that i had turned into a black hole. But it was engulfed in all this fire around it so i couldn't see the black hole directly. And I was just marveling at this thing. But then i realized that i was still moving towards it. I swear I wasn't pressing anything. As I got closer I could make out the black hole, and there was all this fire around me and it. Then I got close enough to see the black hole almost completely un-obscured. Then i heard what sounded like an explosion. Then a huge wave of fire stared engulfing the black hole. That eventually dissipated. Then it happened again and again and again. So I looked around again and then I got ejected from the black hole again. Then I got the idea to send the new horizons probe in. I forgot to pause time, so the probe just fell in to the black hole. I made a second one and paused time. I came into first person view on the probe. I slowed down time so I could observe what happens. As it got closer to black hole i could see the black hole again, Then the computer just shuts off completely..............
(Stuff got even crazier when I altered the second experiment, but I don't feel like everyone's ready for that story yet. that's because I don't want you thinking i'm crazier than you think i already am. but I need some definite feedback from an outsider's perspective)

Physics_Hacker

Most of this is explainable but honestly I don't feel like typing for literally two hours to explain it all...

Jlukehypernova

All i want to know is why i didn't come out of first person view when earth got destroyed, and why my computer just shut off when it was plugged in with a full battery.

Physics_Hacker

All i want to know is why i didn't come out of first person view when earth got destroyed, and why my computer just shut off when it was plugged in with a full battery.

The reason is because the object you were "attached to" was destroyed, so you had no planet selected. With no planet selected, you can't have a locked screen view.

On that, it might just be that what you were doing was too hard on your computer, if you have lower system specs then doing really calculation-filled actions could, theoretically, crash your computer, now if you have a very good computer...I don't know what to say, there's not a lot of explanation I can do.

Jlukehypernova

Okay, thanks.
Maybe you could duplicate the experiment and see how that goes.

Physics_Hacker

Okay, thanks.
Maybe you could duplicate the experiment and see how that goes.

All of what you said is explainable beside your computer shutting off , which I'm sure was just that you didn't have a "good enough" computer for what you were doing. Mine's a pretty good computer (laptop though but still better than most people have as their home computer, not to brag or anything) and the type of stuff you're describing pulls my computer nearly to it's knees, so it's not impossible, not even close, that that "crashed" (turned off, shut down, whatever you want to say) your computer.

Jlukehypernova

Actually my computer was able to pull a lot of this off in one fluid motion.
And my computer sucks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:11:43 PM by Jlukehypernova »

Physics_Hacker

Actually my computer was able to pull a lot of this off in one fluid motion.
And my computer sucks.

Ah, Then I have no explanation. Very strange...

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
overheated maybe. computer shuts off automatically to protect the processor. check your fan for dust

Jlukehypernova

Maybe it is dusty, I never thought about that. I was kind of hoping it was a government conspiracy or something.  Or that i created a wormhole and the pc couldn't handle it.

Darvince

• 差不多
Obviously the much more reasonable solutions. But anyway ubox seems very glitchy when concerning changing the mass of stars live, so that would be 99% of your problem, since the star kept repeatedly turning into a normal star and then going supernova as you increased its mass.

im4space

• Global Moderator
A computer shutting off unexpectedly can be caused by many things. If problem can't be reproduced and only happened once, it could be caused by what is called a soft error. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error

What could have happened is that a cosmic ray could have hit one of your memory chips and changed a bit in the  memory. This could change the program and then it wouldn't do what it was supposed to do. It could crash your computer or shut it off.

This would only be temporary however. Rebooting the computer resets all the memory, so it shouldn't happen again.

Jlukehypernova

Hold on, a cosmic ray could have hit my computer chip? Do you mean in the game or in real life?

Gordon Freeman

No, an actual-factual cosmic ray came from the sun (or some other source) and blasted your computer.

im4space

• Global Moderator
No, an actual-factual cosmic ray came from the sun (or some other source) and blasted your computer.

A cosmic ray powerful enough to pass through the atmosphere and a computer would not have come from the sun, but from a supermassive black hole or supernovae. See http://www.astronomy.com/news/2014/07/a-source-of-the-most-powerful-cosmic-rays.

Cosmic rays causing computers to crash are very rare, less than once per year. But it does happen. And there is no way to tell what caused the crash.

kallisti

• I'm trying.
I have also experienced that my laptop crashed during crazy simulations, presumably due to overheating (or perhaps I was the lucky one to have a cosmic ray hit my 'puter ;D). The OS has safeguards implemented to avoid temp-related shutdowns, but it doesn't always work.

DenisineD

Its the Chuck Norris Effect....no computer and not even the universe can stay stable...it crash.

Darvince

• 差不多
Wait, that's a real thing? Very fascinating, I never knew that.

BOYCSY

• Typical Uranus jokes.
That might be what it looks like when a Black Hole crossed the Solar System, except for Earth travelling 10 times the speed of C

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
I know im sort of late, but, that CAN't be the case. Why? THe earth has a magnetic field. Prevention #1. The earth has an atmosphere, cosmic rays are so small and move so fast that it would burn up instintly when it hit the atmosphere prevention #2 If the ray survived all of that, than how did it get inside your computer prosseser like that? Prevention #3

Physics_Hacker

I know im sort of late, but, that CAN't be the case. Why? THe earth has a magnetic field. Prevention #1. The earth has an atmosphere, cosmic rays are so small and move so fast that it would burn up instintly when it hit the atmosphere prevention #2 If the ray survived all of that, than how did it get inside your computer prosseser like that? Prevention #3

Cosmic rays are a type of light, they don't "burn up" in the atmosphere. They might be absorbed by it but they do get to the ground.

Darvince

• 差不多
Cosmic rays are incredibly high energy EM waves, electromagnetic waves, which visible light and radio waves are also a part of. Cosmic rays are often higher energy than gamma rays and only rarely interact with objects due to their very small wavelength allowing them to pass through an atom, only very rarely hitting the nucleus or an electron as 99.99999% of an atom or some similar very large fraction is empty space.