Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Setting a binary star orbit in US2  (Read 3369 times)

DenisineD

Setting a binary star orbit in US2
« on: September 26, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
Hello

How are you all?

I m trying to set an binary orbit from my US1 to US2 (systems i ve build via my accretion method)

The second star have an orbit of 60.9 AU with an eccentricity of 0.42

With planets, you can set it via the planet information: the sma distance, the eccentricity and etc...but for a star orbiting an other....it seem that those variants are lock. I can't set the eccentricity, the sma or the angle :S

how to do it?

Physics_Hacker

Re: Setting a binary star orbit in US2
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »
Sadly, I've found that you have to do everything manually.  Getting a near-circular orbit takes some time, since you have to change the velocity and everything....Not to mention inclination.

DenisineD

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
ah :/ Because manually i can put the second star at 60.9 AU but when i check the distance inside the info of the star...it say 49.5 AU...so it mean it put it at the maximum of the orbit and 49.9 is the real distance.

In US1 it take the star B 600 something yrs to do a whole orbit. but since its now 49.5 AU in US2 well it take 500 something yrs.

The ecc is 0.23 in us2

oh i ll try to put it at the max in US1...maybe if i can reduce the velocity i ll get toward my 0.42 ecc... lets try this.

Thats something they should look for the next update haha + adding a baricenter so we could fix the simulation on it
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:06:19 PM by DenisineD »

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 05:43:13 AM »
Does it not work when using the "Balance" option?

Arian

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:39:34 AM »
Does it not work when using the "Balance" option?
That works for getting an orbit, but not for getting a certain orbit, since stars apparently don't get their orbits calculated as such. They don't get an orbital parent and all orbital properties are disabled for editing.

Putting up an orbit with certain values might be quite a challenge that way since it takes a lot of maths to even get the initial positions right. Not having changes in orbital properties displayed, doesn't help either.

Actually I don't see why orbits are not considered a feature of stars in US2 as stars can certainly orbit each other.

codefantastic

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:31:52 AM »
It would also be nice if they re-added the baray center as a clickable/focus-able object like in US1

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
It would also be nice if they re-added the baray center as a clickable/focus-able object like in US1

And allowed planets/other stars to orbit the barycenter, this would make more complex systems much much easier to make, and make putting planets in circumbinary orbits much less of a pain.

codefantastic

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:29:35 AM »

And allowed planets/other stars to orbit the barycenter, this would make more complex systems much much easier to make, and make putting planets in circumbinary orbits much less of a pain.
I know right? It's impossible to have stable orbits around to stars unless the planet is right next to the star!

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »

I know right? It's impossible to have stable orbits around to stars unless the planet is right next to the star!

Well, not impossible, as I have done it many times, but it takes a lot of work to get the velocities just right and everything...

Arian

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
I am currently working on a system that features a number of possible sub-systems. I'm still testing it for stability and maybe I add some more sub-systems even. My goal is to have every planet and moon suitable for life of the same or very similar species(as far as such properties can be influenced).
I think by the end of the week I should be done testing and explaining the "design" considerations to be posted in the "share your creations!" thread.