5 (33.3%)
Yes.
1 (6.7%)
Sure, but keep it really basic.
9 (60%)
Nope.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Space Ships  (Read 3523 times)

Koningkrush

Space Ships
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »
Do you think it is possible to add space ships to the game? As far as programming goes, it seems like they could just be treated like any other object.

The differences I could see would be acceleration, deceleration, and course plotting whether it be manual or automatic. Maybe even a form of "hit points" for the ship before it completely explodes and maybe different types of fuel/engines?

Space stations would also be interesting, with size all the way up to artificial planets.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
Re: Space Ships
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
You can kind of imagine you have a spaceship if you use the WASD keys to move the camera view across the universe

Koningkrush

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Yeah but space ships are heavily affected by Gravity. You could pick a course for a certain location and the computer would plot the best way to get there, probably involving gravity well sling-shotting.

AndronsFilms

• Brazilian Alpha Tester
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »
This is a great idea, i would love to play god in US² while i'm in a spaceship, through it may be difficult to code and also it really isn't the focus of US² to have anything besides simulating the cosmos, but i bet it would attract more people to the game and make it more fun to play.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:48:27 PM »
Do you think it is possible to add space ships to the game? As far as programming goes, it seems like they could just be treated like any other object.

The differences I could see would be acceleration, deceleration, and course plotting whether it be manual or automatic. Maybe even a form of "hit points" for the ship before it completely explodes and maybe different types of fuel/engines?

Space stations would also be interesting, with size all the way up to artificial planets.

You are correct in that the motion of a ship, with engines off, is no different from a planet. Adding thrusters is something we would like to do anyway, so ships are certainly not out of the question.
As someone else remarked, if you wanted a realistic ship, you would also need very good course planning assistance, which is a bit harder to implement.