Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Changing Orbital Parent?  (Read 5722 times)

Icospheria

Changing Orbital Parent?
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
I am struggling to create moons of planets in new systems. I assume I am making a mistake somewhere. After I place a moon with the add tool and edit it's parameters somewhat (for example, changing it's mass or inclination) my moons stop orbiting the planet and end up in orbit of the star. This happens even with the simulation paused. What am I missing?

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
Re: Changing Orbital Parent?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:29 PM »
I assume you are placing the moon too far from the planet.

Icospheria

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »
I assume you are placing the moon too far from the planet.

This is for sure not the problem. As an experiment, I moved Earth's moon orbit inward to a geostationary orbit, and it immediately began orbiting the Sun.

Krypton

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
How far away is your planet from its sun?  If it's too close, the moon will be more strongly attracted by the sun.

Are you sure you're not placing another planet in orbit around the original planet?

Icospheria

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
Using the Sun, I am placing Earth at ~1 AU, then adding the Moon. Using these conditions, adding the Moon at a geostationary orbit (24 hour orbital period) the Moon immediately stops orbiting earth and begins orbiting the Sun. Same happens if I drastically change the Moon's inclination. Possibly a bug? I'll do some more experiments and to see if this happens at other orbital distances from the star.

Deadpangod3

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »
make sure the add tool is set to orbit, also try hitting "auto orbit" in the action tab.

Icospheria

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »
make sure the add tool is set to orbit, also try hitting "auto orbit" in the action tab.

Thanks so much, the Auto Orbit feature did indeed solve my problem!