Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Custom solar system lock system?  (Read 3398 times)

Naima

Custom solar system lock system?
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:37:35 AM »
So if I want to simulate a working solar system how can I do ?

When I put a planet in not correct orbit it can be sunk and gradually fall toward the sun or other bigger masses ...

Is there a lock system that allows placement of a planet only in a fixed stable orbit and adjoust it accordingly to remain stable when I add further items in the simulation?

Naima

Re: Custom solar system lock system?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:46:36 AM »
Any news on that?  I want to create my own fun custom system that actually works , but I have no idea how to place a planet in a stable orbit or even if I have two stars make the rest stable ... There are some guidelines or only highlighted areas where to place the celestial bodies in order to create a belieavable and qorking system?

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
Is there a lock system that allows placement of a planet only in a fixed stable orbit and adjoust it accordingly to remain stable when I add further items in the simulation?

No, that is not possible. If you have a very heavy body which is orbited by very much lighter bodies, and those bodies are separated by large distances... as the solar system... then somewhat stable orbits should arise.

If your system does not match that description, it will generally be chaotic and unpredictable.

Naima

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 04:36:35 PM »
How do I know where to place bodies around a system? I tried to make a bynary system but they always end mergibg themselves one into the other ... Can it be done some helpers that will help make stable bodies and configuration? Not talking of a forced system but a highlight that tells you look if you put this body in this green zone it will. Be stable otherwise not ...

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:50:54 PM »
Don't place orbits so close to each other.

Naima

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
easy to say but then I can't make a binary system and relative planets .

irigi

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
easy to say but then I can't make a binary system and relative planets .

I would probably reformulate the rule from Gordon. Two planets orbiting the same star should not be close, otherwise the system will be unstable. But if they form a close double-planet (like Earth-Moon), then it is OK. How close should the planets be to maintain stability gives the so-called Hill Sphere. If you have smaller star and the double planet is close to it, then the planets must be very close to each other, otherwise the star will disrupt them. (Which also implies they will be tidally-locked to each other.)

System of planets or moons around Gas Giant should be also pretty stable. You can look at this interesting post: http://planetplanet.net/2014/05/13/building-the-ultimate-solar-system/ , where author describes how to make largest possible stable system.

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 01:56:19 AM »
When you add an object, press 'orbit' in the thingy that comes up just above the body you clicked.  looks like you have it on 'still'