Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [Suggestion] launch satellites  (Read 3394 times)

Poke Smot

[Suggestion] launch satellites
« on: December 28, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
Hi,
I'd like to have a way to launch a small body from a larger one, and have it intercept and take orbit around a target body. In other words a way to pretend to launch satellites to distant planets and orbit them.

Example: You launch a monolith from Earth to Saturn, automatically plotting the path and velocity with the simulator to intercept Saturn, and once there the monolith takes a predetermined orbit around Saturn.

Ideally all automatically set parameters would be adjustable from a panel prior to launch.

That would be awesome.

Gordon Freeman

Re: [Suggestion] launch satellites
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:50:59 AM »
Are you poking smot right now?

Yes, I agree this would be a neat KSP-ish feature. You can already do this on a mediocre level by landing on a body and launching a body from there.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
His username should be Poking Sot I guess

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »
What I would like to see In US2 is a new category in the add objects menu called satellites, space shuttles and rockets that have stuff like International Space Station and Apollo 11 ect. Also a random satellite generator, random space shuttle generator and random rocket generator.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
What I would like to see In US2 is a new category in the add objects menu called satellites, space shuttles and rockets 
Those would probably just put under "Objects"

...called satellites, space shuttles and rockets
Wouldn't it be simpler and more logical just to call it "Spacecraft" or "Vessels"?

Also a random satellite generator, random space shuttle generator and random rocket generator.
I'm afraid to say that this sounds almost impossible.
Unlike KSP, US2 does not have individual object parts, so it is impossible to randomize anything more than a disfigured blob. Either way, how would the randomizer "know" if a rocket is practical or not?

This has given me an idea though: what if we could import our KSP Spacecraft files as 3D models into US2?

His username should be Poking Sot I guess

Soking pot?

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
This has given me an idea though: what if we could import our KSP Spacecraft files as 3D models into US2?
Exactly, that is what the random spacecraft button would do, if a new alpha update would add a new folder called spacecraft, you could import your spacecraft and play with it in US2.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:45:20 PM »
So you mean a randomly selected spacecraft, not randomly generated?