Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Few Ideas and Questions.  (Read 2384 times)

Thunder Ice

Few Ideas and Questions.
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
1. At the current moment, when an asteroid or moon strikes a planet, the impact shock/blast wave will begin to expand outward, but depending on the size, the wave will fade out halfway across the planet, but other times, it will reach the other side. I feel that it would really be cool that, depending on the size of the asteroid and force of the impact, it would create a blast wave powerful enough to cover the planet or just the small impacted area. Think of the impact scenes in Armageddon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nyn_yZQ98 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbaQD6eF_qc

2. I think it would be cool for an asteroid that's 6 miles or larger to slam into Earth and have the impact wave completely incinerate the planet's surface. The wave would wash over continents and oceans, engulfing them, again, like the scene from Armageddon.

3. Seeing as how cities and other places are planned to be implemented, how possible would it be to implement things like visual tsunamis and fire storms? I think it would be cool to watch cities get engulfed by tsunamis or from the blast wave. Take this for example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNtsVP42bOE

4. How much detail will go onto the planet's surface? Cities are coming, but what about things like highways and forests? This could be useful in re-enacting certain events, like the Tunguska explosion in 1908.

Just a few things I thought of.

Gordon Freeman

Re: Few Ideas and Questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:54:48 AM »
1. At the current moment, when an asteroid or moon strikes a planet, the impact shock/blast wave will begin to expand outward, but depending on the size, the wave will fade out halfway across the planet, but other times, it will reach the other side. I feel that it would really be cool that, depending on the size of the asteroid and force of the impact, it would create a blast wave powerful enough to cover the planet or just the small impacted area.

What I understood is that you think the shockwave lifespan and intensity is randomized. It's not.

2. I think it would be cool for an asteroid that's 6 miles or larger to slam into Earth and have the impact wave completely incinerate the planet's surface. The wave would wash over continents and oceans, engulfing them, again, like the scene from Armageddon.

6 miles? That's far from even stripping the atmosphere away.

3. Seeing as how cities and other places are planned to be implemented, how possible would it be to implement things like visual tsunamis and fire storms? I think it would be cool to watch cities get engulfed by tsunamis or from the blast wave.

I'd say that the water heightmap can already handle city flooding, if the buildings are 3-D.

4. How much detail will go onto the planet's surface?

Probably not much since calculating physics is already CPU intensive.

4.This could be useful in re-enacting certain events, like the Tunguska explosion in 1908.

Loading the visuals is hard enough. Actually linking them to physical events is probably near-impossible. Sorry, bro, but this isn't Garry's Mod. These are actually really good ideas but they just won't work.

Plutonium

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:55:01 AM »
Basically you want detailed surface processes caused by the impact. You were clear about that in your previous thread.
Currently 10 km diameter asteroid impacts are not even leaving a dent (because of LODs I believe) and you can't land on the planet's surface. GA mentioned that their current focus is on macro scale. So we are far from things like highways or forests.

Armageddon is a blown out of proportions Hollywood movie. I wouldn't take it as a reference.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
Armageddon is a blown out of proportions Hollywood movie. I wouldn't take it as a reference.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
Lucifer's Hammer, on the other hand, you can safely file away in the 'double check, but a solid baseline'.