Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can't get it to launch  (Read 2832 times)

kamikaze15

Can't get it to launch
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
This is the only content in output_log:

Initialize engine version: 4.5.0f6 (fd4616464986)
GfxDevice: Creating device client; threaded=1

The process closes as soon as it launches.
It's up to date. It launched fine in my laptop (Win7) but not in my desktop which is WinXP.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Can't get it to launch
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
What are the specs of your desktop?

How old is your desktop?

Have you tried restarting your computer?

kamikaze15

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 05:31:14 PM »
AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor @2.1 GHz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics 700 MB approx. (integrated I believe)
DirectX 10

I've restarted the pc multiple times, deleted it and installed it again, verified game cache files, AV and firewall disabled.

shadow6061be

• Belgian alpha tester
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:42:33 PM »
Try to launch it in compatibility mode (windows XP SP3 works for me, and I can't launch it without compatibility mode)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, shadow6061be... please let us know if that works for you, kamikaze15

wubbzy301

• I stole a username idea!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:46 PM »
This is the only content in output_log:

Initialize engine version: 4.5.0f6 (fd4616464986)
GfxDevice: Creating device client; threaded=1

The process closes as soon as it launches.
It's up to date. It launched fine in my laptop (Win7) but not in my desktop which is WinXP.

The problem is creating the device client doesn't work in windows XP (i think)

kamikaze15

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »
Trying in safe mode didn't work either, it acted the same

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
How old is you PC? It looks like you have an older ATI card, they don't call them ATI Radeon anymore, just Radeon HD. They stopped support of the old ATI's. You can't even get drivers for them (from what I looked up on the driver downloads).

If the output log stops at the line "GfxDevice: Creating device client; threaded=1," it could be your GPU. Your GPU may not allow threaded operation since it is an older card. Or it could be the CPU, and I don't think older ones utilize multi-threading. Oh, and what version of OpenCL do you have? That could be causing the program to close so abruptly. You pass the minimum requirements, so I don't know. :P     

Maybe there is a cfg file in the game that would allow a custom edit so your PC reads the program properly without an abrupt close.

To Dan or C7:

Is that possible? Is there a file that can be changed manually to fix his problem? I got Fallout 3 to work on my Windows 7 by changing a file's number value. That game didn't work as well on modern CPU's because it was an older game and didn't take advantage of multiply cores.

Or quite simply, kamikaze15, your PC may be too old for it to even work at all, but we won't say that just yet. That's the "last resort" explanation until you're out of options. When I see stuff like this happen to other people, I blame the graphics card or CPU, because they're usually the culprit in people's problems. This time could be different, though.

kamikaze15

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
It's about 6 years old or older... The card's driver is from 2009, and I haven't been able to find any newer ones.
I couldn't find OpenCL anywhere in my PC, is there even support for XP?
I tried compatibility for older OS' and the process started and didn't close this time, but its memory use doesn't change at all.
I guess it's time for an upgrade.