Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gravity speed  (Read 5847 times)

Moosedrool

• The slowest poster
Gravity speed
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:35:58 AM »
I’ve read on a bunch of science boards and seen this on through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman. It is theorised that the effect of gravity can only be at the speed of light. If you were to split up the universe in Planck size pixels in at least 5 dimensions as per quantum mechanics, it practically makes it impossible for electromagnetism or gravity to be moving quicker than that.

In this theory if you remove the sun or at least its gravitational pull in an instant the planets will remain in orbit until the light from that moment actually arrives. AKA the earth will remain in orbit for at least 8 minutes.

I think it’ll be interesting to see galaxy formation simulated where all the particles interact with each other and have this unique effect, stars would be effected by the opposite stars in our Milky way literally where they were approx. 100,000 years ago. Or as you actually see it due to the light taking the same amount of time to travel across.

Just a thought for people whom also theorise that there is more dark matter than normal visible matter in our Milky way causing it’s surreal uniform spin. Could it rather be of this gravitational delay?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Gravity speed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »
how i think about the speed of gravity: if you have a particle accelerator, then you can create and destroy mass. If there is a sensitive accelerometer, then it could detect the changes in mass instantly and make ftl information transfer possible. Since ftl information transfer isn't possible afawk, then gravity must have limited speed.

Also dark matter does probably exist. besides explaining the rotational curves of galaxies, it also affects galaxy clusters in collisions; and we have directly seen dark matter and normal matter being seperated (normal matter is slowed by friction while dark matter is not). since light and gravity travel at the same speed, our methods of gravitational lensing and observation of the electromagnetic spectrum must be viewing the cluster at the same point in time.

also my computer restarted half way through this post and it still had it saved when i restarted. nice.

Moosedrool

• The slowest poster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »
Particle accelerator could work but would yet again require multiple experiments as the affect would be tiny. Not sure if any instrument would be sensitive or at least compute the data quickly enough for detecting the changes of gravitational pull one Planck frame after another so I would think of tracking photons through the pixel detectors movement over time when there were quarks and when they decayed. The problem with this is scientists also kind of throw aside much of general relativity during those experiments as particle behavior proves that there are instantaneous connections with different particles over space. I think we’ll need to understand more of the quantum world and the forces involved before even trying a relativity problem in one of those devices.

I’m actually posting this in the Ubox section as an Idea for simulation though.   ;D

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
The problem with this is scientists also kind of throw aside much of general relativity during those experiments as particle behavior proves that there are instantaneous connections with different particles over space.

quantum entanglement does not actually allow information to be communicated, it just allows two people to see the observe the same thing simultaneously. An accelerometer and a mass manipulation device would, because two people could send meaningful messages back and forth with them.

Moosedrool

• The slowest poster
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »
Yes, but what I’m trying to say is that there are unknown’s (Particles/Interactions) in the quantum world that might affect with the measurements. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:30:15 PM by Moosedrool »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
affect what measurements?

Moosedrool

• The slowest poster
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:03:39 AM »
Whatever the gravitation force measured by the super sensitive accelerometer during the time you theorise gravitational delay.

Currently there are 16 found particles W bosons being virtual and 17 if you add Higgs, all with different mass. Matter doesn’t just disappear in an accelerator, the Hadrons (Photons) collide and separates the quarks from the strong force (Gluons) interacting with them (Holding them together). The particles undergo a decaying process. The strong force is calculated to be 100 times stronger than electromagnetism at a subatomic scale. Due to the speed which the particles travelled at the reaction is slowed down hundreds of times meaning the decay time actually takes longer relative to observers. Particles can even pop out of existence from extra dimensional space.

Equipment measuring the gravity might be affected by.

Strong force interactions.
The time slowing down for the decaying process.
Additional particles with mass popping into existence.
The fact that it’s still not an instantaneous mass removal process.

This is just a small portion of known factors. It is unknown how many particles exist but the concept of every day matter only requires 3. Up quarks, down quarks and electrons. The rest such as gluons play a fundamental role in the arrangement but just like any science it’s a learning process. As I mentioned, rather try to prove an experiment for this concept on a larger scale as the theories for combining relativity and quantum mechanics together are just theories.

Think of it as dropping objects of different mass 2000 years ago. No one knows air is matter that causes drag so everyone assumed the heavier the object the faster it falls. The same type of conclusion can be made with the “does gravity have speed?” experiment. What else could have affected the result in a quantum world?