Welcome, Guest

Poll

Is it good to have this feature in Universe Sandbox 3?

Yes
7 (100%)
Maybe
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Other(Reply)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Planetary Formation and Evolution and Natural/Artificial Terraformation  (Read 3644 times)

kairunotabi

A feature that will show how the celestial bodies are formed and evolve through time.

Planetary evolution can be affected by accidental or intentional influences such as meteor strikes that will shape the surface or terrain of the celestial body, for example:

A solar system was formed formed from the gravitational collapse of a fragment of a giant molecular clouds, bigger chunks collides with each other and forms planets, as time passes these new born planets takes shape depending on various situation. Some may have water, some may be deserted, some may be a gas giant, and some may be a planet with life and more.

So, what will be the benefits of having such features?
  • Students can visually see how these celestial bodies are formed and evolve through time.
  • Students can intentionally modify these bodies through terraforming them and/or through other cosmic events.
  • Educators will no longer need to explain the theories behind their formations since the students are interacting with the process and they can explain it on their own based on their observations

That's all, so guys, what do you think? Is it worth it to have these features? Is there anything you can suggest to improve this feature? Feel free to vote and ask!

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Planetary Formation and Evolution and Natural/Artificial Terraformation
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:07:46 PM »
you can do all of these now actually :) just create a bunch of objects orbiting around a star or heavy object and you can watch them evolve into a system.

kairunotabi

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
No, not like that. I mean something like this possible processes

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »
yes, you can do all of the processes described except for solar wind. just assemble large cloud of small objects of different entities, make them orbit/rotate, and play. i do know that in universe sandbox 3 there will be fluid simulation implemented which will make this easier.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
He's talking about accretion.
Yeah, Dan is going to make this possible in Ubox 3.
But I'm not sure about terraforming though.

kairunotabi

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
Terraforming is good feature because of its interactivity, if the Educator shows how a star system were formed, a student may ask what will happen this, that would happen and the Educator will just interact with the bodies and ta-da! Ther you go!

I think the terraform process is on its way, since there will be craters on the planets after the strike in USBox3 but I hope that the physical appearance of the celestial bodies will be affected by their distances from the star their orbiting
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:53:22 PM by kairunotabi »