Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dan - Remove the Everything Else forum...  (Read 19026 times)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: Dan - Remove the Everything Else forum...
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
I'll check back in in six months and make my pitch

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
I suppose that change would work for any new visitors...though it's still front and center.

Occam's razor, Dan...you are fighting the simplest and best solution for your commerical product.

Phinehas, do you realize that not everyone is as capitalist and as much money craving machine as you are? Occam's razor didn't work for light, and it didn't work for black holes, so it most likely does not work except for very simple things such as choosing the lowest price in a store. And even that may not work, as sales may change as you are purchasing an item.

...and you will then continue to lose potential customers and not have a vibrant community as every other software product I have ever owned currently does.
...Who on earth will check the forum of a product as the first thing they do, specifically clicking on the Everything Else board, in this case, that has no relevance to them whatsoever, since they are only looking for reviews and what people have done with the product?

If a vibrant community is people coming on once a month to get information about updates, or post a system once every couple months, let me know. This game would nearly cease to exist outside of Steam.

That would only be relevant if I were actually talking to mentally retared people.  It's a word that aptly describes the behaviour here.

If you are calling everyone that will post at the Everything Else board, including the only mod, every person that actually raised interest in Universe Sandbox, and also the only person that still makes systems and textures actively, retarded, then I must know if all people with an IQ under 115, (approximately 3/4 of people) are mentally retarded.

Why don't you just get rid of Everything Else?  Can you even give me one logical reason to keep it and allow it to be in it's current state? Do you actually think that if you lose the six people that rely on it to survive another day, that nobody will be here?  You will gain more people than you would lose....you however are never going to find that out.  Your loss.
Refer to what I said before on the first two sentences; you made grammatical errors in the first two sentences.
If the eight people that use the forum regularly leave, then he will lose quite a bit of revenue from possible customers, as well as the fact that very few (≤0.1%) of people will check its forum first before buying it. Some people may also join without even having it (Me originally, as well as Supernova), and just sign up for the community.

Overall, phinehas, Dan does not only care about the money, but also about the community, which you seem to not care about the latter at all.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:59:36 PM by phinehas »

FiahOwl

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
So? Society changes. Deal with it.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:59:45 PM by phinehas »

FiahOwl

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
The thread was directed at Dan.  I was trying to reason with him.  Now you got me trying to reason with you...which is a zero sum game.  Go back to counting to a million.

>doesn't care
>reasoning anyway

Makes sense.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:59:27 PM by phinehas »

FiahOwl

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
Just please.. Pleas stop using capitalist and business logic on the internet.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
The thread was directed at Dan.
And so I'm not allowed to reply?

Go back to counting to a million.
Applejack - hmmmm, nah

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 06:53:55 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:00:24 PM by phinehas »

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
I'm going to quote matty406 on this one.

Guys are we still seriously beating this horse that was just pronounced clinically dead some minutes ago?

It's not worth arguing about this anymore.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:59:08 PM by phinehas »

FiahOwl

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
Bye!

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
No worries and thanks again for your concern... you might be surprised at how well Universe Sandbox has sold (and continues to sell) on Steam.

I really don't see how the random posts in Everything Else discourage purchases. Most people on Steam purchase without ever visiting these forums.

And there's Steam's Universe Sandbox forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1125

smjjames

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »

Time for my input.

As has been said, the random stuff, not neccesarily the totally off the wall random stuff, but things that have absolutely no relation to Universe Sandbox itself. In fact, its a normal thing in almost every forum except for the most specialized forums.

As for the retarded comment, yes I have aspergers (and ADHD. Of which a few other people seem to have around here as well), but I am in no way retarded and I'm as intelligent as you are phinehas, as everybody else. I know it wasn't neccesarily directed at me, but I utterly resent that.

Yannos

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »
I carefully read all above posts and I am with Dan on this one. I had never visited the "Everything else" section till now, out of curiosity and it seemed quite normal to be honest. Mostly internet games, killtimers for people that need something to do on a short work break. Other than that the General discussion seems in a really good shape. Lots of posts on user generated systems, some of those fictional, some simulations of real ones. Quite a lot of posts on textures which I can not see how it can be a bad thing and a few posts on mechanics of Ubox. Seems healthy to me and definitely uninfected by whatever randomness might exist in "everything else". Also removing "everything else" from recent posts seems as a good idea.

ps By the way I checked the steam stat on "starting Ubox ten times". Guess what. Less than 10% of Ubox steam buyers have completed it. My opinion is that the forums have nothing to do with it. It is just that Ubox is a gravity sim disguised as a game for commercial reasons, so people that do not want to actually reproduce real life systems or test simulations, when they are done bombarding earth, they never come back. The rest of us and probably the original poster have a huge "my simulations" file in their system.

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 09:09:19 AM »
This is what this forum would look like.....

FiahOwl

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
This is what this forum would look like.....

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
But that makes no sense...

jakobscalpel

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
I'm the type of person this thread was supposedly started to protect/nurture. Heard about the product last night and was intrigued. Downloaded the free version. Only after enjoying the product did I come here, mainly to do some research before purchasing. I saw there was an Everything Else forum. I completely ignored it in favor of the information I came here to find.

My guess is that leaving that forum will help more than it will hurt for all the reasons mentioned previously. BTW, this product looks great and I can't wait to play with it.

smjjames

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »
I'm the type of person this thread was supposedly started to protect/nurture. Heard about the product last night and was intrigued. Downloaded the free version. Only after enjoying the product did I come here, mainly to do some research before purchasing. I saw there was an Everything Else forum. I completely ignored it in favor of the information I came here to find.

My guess is that leaving that forum will help more than it will hurt for all the reasons mentioned previously. BTW, this product looks great and I can't wait to play with it.

Exactly, if you don't want to run into all of the nonsense stuff, then don't go into the everything else section.