Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rocky Planet Textures!  (Read 6999 times)

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
Rocky Planet Textures!
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »
Hey guys!

Any tips on making a rocky planet of photoshop?

Thanks!

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: Rocky Planet Textures!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »
Making Some Detailed Fractal Planets

Use that and play around with the color and settings.

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
Thanks, but I only get it for 2 weeks, and if I'm honest I find it a bit hard to use, do you have any photoshop strategies for making a rocky planet?

Thanks!

FiahOwl

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:06:05 PM »
Thanks, but I only get it for 2 weeks, and if I'm honest I find it a bit hard to use, do you have any photoshop strategies for making a rocky planet?

Thanks!

It works for more then two weeks. It works indefinitely.

It's just the crappy save feature that saves in ultra low resolution that stops working after two weeks.

Omnigeek6

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:17:42 PM »
First of all, don't bother with FT Pro.

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/wilbur.html

This program is free, and I found it much easier to use than FT Pro.

Wilbur is the best program for randomly generating a heightmap for Earthlike planets. Its fractal noise features won't give you perfect plate tectonics, but "Hetero Terrain" is far superior to the stringy continents you get from FT Pro.

Now, I would like to note that I use GIMP, not photoshop. However, many of the features should still carry over.

If you're creating a rocky or icy planet without things like oceans and plate tectonics, you can still use Wilbur, but creating a SEAMLESS clouds or plasma texture in photoshop and desaturating it also works nicely.

If your planet doesn't have much geological activity and weathering, you'll also need craters.
Create a new, transparent layer, select a "fuzzy circle" brush, and randomly click around a bit. Set the brush to the size of your largest craters. You should now have a basic crater layer. Next, make a copy of the layer and run the "small tiles" filter (or its photoshop equivalent). Your second crater layer should have four 50% scale copies of the original crater layer, all tiled together. Repeat the tiling step 4-6 times, so you get craters on all scales.
Now, you need to merge your craters with the base heightmap. If you merge the layers at too high opacity, the heightmap will be completely overshadowed by the depth of the craters and not show up when we run the "emboss" filter later on. I recommend setting the opacity of the craters to around 25% before merging the layers. You might also want to play around with the blend modes: overlay and grain merge work well in GIMP.

Once you have your final height map, with or without craters, make a copy of the height map layer and run the "emboss" filter on it. This will make the texture look nice and three-dimensional. However, your depth should still be fairly low.

other stuff coming later...

FiahOwl

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
Hmph. So you're saying all of my habitable planets are too "stringy"?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:31:48 PM by FiahOwl »

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »
Needs more Terraformer.

smjjames

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
One or two (or three) look a bit stringy, but I've seen far stringier ones somewhere. The cloud cover on most of them break up the profile anyway. Probably your stringiest is texta35, but it's fine really.