Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NationStates  (Read 507248 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: NationStates
« Reply #1260 on: June 24, 2014, 05:49:15 AM »
Uhhhhh kol

The Issue

Following the ban on cars, a criminal alliance dominated by Olympic-class sprinters has sprung up, resulting in hundreds of running footwear shops being robbed. The Land of the Red Rainbow's police force has requested that they be allowed to ride antigays as a substitute for their inability to chase these athletic thugs on foot.

The Debate

"It's brilliant, if you ask me," says portly Police Chief Sophie Mombota while enjoying a doughnut break. "Chasing criminals on foot is so tiresome now that we can't have our cars. If the government allowed Mounties, the entire process would be so much easier. We wouldn't even need to put handcuffs on suspects, since we'd just trample 'em down!"

"It's a good idea, but we can solve this using a much more direct approach," muses a tanned off-duty cop. "I mean, why bother with animals when you can still allow cars? I agree cars should be banned for the public, but we policemen need them. Besides, it's MUCH more fun to run over criminals with cars than antigays."

"You wimps are a disgrace!" bellows lycra-clad gym instructor William Levy. "You don't need cars or antigays to keep up. It's about time someone whipped the lot of you into shape. Give me four hours a day with these pansies and I'll have them catching criminals in no time at all. Now drop and give me twenty!"

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1261 on: June 24, 2014, 06:04:25 AM »
let them ride antigays

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #1262 on: June 24, 2014, 08:33:44 AM »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1263 on: July 05, 2014, 05:24:53 AM »
The nodes of the graph are the regions, with size proportional to immigration/emigration. Edge thickness proportional to number of nations in each connection. Data from July 5 2013 to July 4 2014. Around 32000 regions and 250000 nation moves are shown. Nations must have stayed at least one update in each region for the movement to be shown.

http://zoom.it/3Yzr#full

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1264 on: July 05, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »
Looks cool

The Land of the Red Rainbow is ranked 1st in The United Pacific States and 269th in the world for Largest Welfare Programs, scoring 401 on the Safety Net Mesh Density Rating.

Blaist Blaland is ranked 2nd in The United Pacific States and 270th in the world for Largest Welfare Programs, scoring 401 on the Safety Net Mesh Density Rating.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1265 on: July 05, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »
kol. right next to each other. so cute.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1266 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
It's almost like... they have the same person running them!!!! :O

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1267 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:51 PM »
oh my god option 4 is the perfect darvincian solution

Electile Dysfunction
LEGISLATION PENDING
The Issue

Stung by an extensive exposé in The Sande Sitei Tattler of faulty and corrupt elections processes, certain Members of Parliament are loudly demanding that the Electoral Commission of Darvincia revisit the current voting system.

The Debate

"What's wrong with a plurality voting system?" rhetorically questions MP Lars Scented. "Count the votes, and the candidate with the most wins. It's the simplest and cheapest methodology, and it creates a stable two-party system without any radicals wasting Parliament's precious time. What more could you want? And..." the MP leans forward and continues in a hushed tone, "It's the best way to ensure our party stays in power indefinitely."

Accept

"Our current electoral system needs only a little tweaking," says Marleen Dodinas, a member of the Electoral Commission. "Why don't we adopt instant-runoff voting? That way people can vote for their favorite candidates plus their second and third choices without worrying whether they're mainstream enough. We'll need to hire a few more people at the Electoral Commission to tally the rounds of votes, but honestly I don't see that as a problem."

Accept

"Now is the time to completely overhaul the electoral system!" cries Evan al-Zahawi, chairperson of a single-issue political party dedicated to legalizing pig wrestling. "We need proportional representation now! If we adopt party-list proportional representation with open lists, political minorities will gain seats relative to the popular vote and actually have a voice. The centrists have dictated government policy for too long; let the political fringes speak!"

Accept

"You're missing the whole point of democracy," argues a strange woman wearing a toga. "Democracy is about equality! The best system of representation is sortition. Go back to the ancient way of doing things and pick representatives from among the common citizens through allotment. People who run for political office are usually untrustworthy and power-hungry. Randomly-selected citizens will make far better decisions than greedy politicians, even if they're a little incompetent. Lottocracy all the way!"

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

"Or we could just do away with this populist sham," sneers Sir George W. Peters, a landed gentleman. "Do the teeming masses really need to complicate our lives? Institute a steep poll tax to keep workers from voting, and we won't be troubled by the greedy plebeians and their insatiable desire for more welfare. Cut the entire welfare budget while you're at it, and respectable people like us can have a nice tax cut."

Accept

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1268 on: July 16, 2014, 03:15:00 AM »
demarchy

protip: greece

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1269 on: July 16, 2014, 05:35:00 AM »
randomly selected citizens tho

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1270 on: July 16, 2014, 05:57:57 AM »
I doubt that'd be a good idea irl, imagine randomly selected scientists? Randomly selected engineers? On a lot of issues they'd probably have no idea what they were doing if they have no education or interest relevant to politics. And randomly picking people without having them being elected based on their political plans isn't democratic either.

I was split between 2 and 3 and picked 3.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1271 on: July 16, 2014, 06:02:37 AM »
seriously I would pick the second but it's darvincia so I must go for the fourth one

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1272 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
randomly selected citizens tho
is demarchy, from greece (well you had to be male and hold land or wealth)

i personally prefer e-democracy with a panel of randomly selected people who are qualified in law heading the law making although citizens can write their own laws and have them reviewed and then voted on

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1273 on: July 28, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
Kol

A period of unprecedented peace and prosperity in Blaist Blaland has seen your personal approval rate sky-rocket. Recently, a small but growing movement has emerged claiming that these general good times are the result of your divine favour, and are advocating that the people worship you as a god.

The Debate

"All hail the glorious The Blaist Communist Party, giver of safety and wealth!" shouts Anne-Marie Laine, the Prefect of the Cult of Divine Nationalism from atop a wooden crate in Blanaxon Grand Plaza. "Are not the might and benevolence of the holy The Blaist Communist Party manifest for all to see? Should we not respond in humble worship? Proclaim your divinity before all, O Great One, and your people shall listen!"

Accept

"This is heresy!" pontificates Hope Note, a high-ranking clergywoman of a major religion, while proffering a collection plate. "Surely you can't seriously be entertaining delusions of divinity? You would undoubtedly bring divine wrath upon us! I urge you, speak out against these wayward souls and endorse the teachings of our holy writ as the true path to righteousness. Only then can we be assured of continued providence."

Accept

"Let's not be too hasty now, there may be an opportunity in this," muses Maria Trax, one of your shrewdest political advisors. "Of course you're not divine, we both know that, but is there really any harm in letting these whack-jobs think you are? Nothing begets obedience like the command of one's god, after all. Perhaps a carefully constructed public statement is in order, one that gives legitimacy to these people's beliefs while avoiding claiming divinity outright. Let people read into it what they want, and if they flock to this 'religion' in droves, well, would it really be so terrible if a large percentage of Blaist Blalandians became your devoted disciples?"

Accept

"Bah! Ridiculous gobbledygook, all of it!" says Cooper Zhu, controversial atheist author of the book 'Atoms in Space and Relations Between Them - An Exhaustive Account of Existence'. "These cultists are no crazier than any other religious types, and have done far less damage than some I might mention. Take this opportunity to disavow all religion as superstitious nonsense, and throw your support behind reason instead. It's the perfect opportunity to end the tax breaks for people with imaginary friends, and funnel that additional money into the areas it can do some real good, like authors of popular science books!"

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

"All hail our glorious The Blaist Communist Party... or face eternal punishment!" shouts a wide-eyed bearded man in sack cloth waving a greasy tract. "Pay no heed to these sectarians, my liege, they have departed from the way of truth! Only we, of the Cult of Nationalist Divinity, have remained faithful in the face of their slanderous impiety. We know you to be an uncompromising and demanding god, intolerant of all false doctrine. We stand ready to convert the masses to your worship, by force if necessary! Starting, of course, with the insufferable heretics of the Cult of Divine Nationalism!"

Accept

20140911 stat:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:47:07 AM by Bla »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1274 on: October 17, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »
Oh yes top 100! Or top 0.072%

20141017: Blaist Blaland is ranked 81st out of 112,727 for Most Developed (98 Human Development Index).

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #1275 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:36 AM »
Saving antigays, no, not happening.

lmao

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1276 on: December 12, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
do we want to publicize tups on ns

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #1277 on: January 01, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '145305'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:57:48 AM by FiahOwl »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1278 on: March 10, 2015, 08:41:08 PM »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1279 on: March 11, 2015, 04:13:30 AM »
Kol so many graphs

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1280 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
TUPS has been raided and the most recent visible posts were surpressed.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1281 on: March 24, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
not again

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1282 on: April 03, 2015, 08:30:56 PM »
ethanthova hit 10 billion

i'm less than 200 million behind bla!

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1283 on: April 15, 2015, 04:35:30 AM »
Have you seen the banners page? Achieving all kinds of things unlocks the crisp banners on the top of the nation page and you can select which ones to show from the banners page actually.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1284 on: April 15, 2015, 03:09:28 PM »
yeah kol, i've been planning to design a few custom banners

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1285 on: April 28, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »
apparently the black riders (yes them) were using illegal script and their founder got deleted

https://nationstates.net/region=the_black_riders

and now their region is being mercilessly invaded

sweet, sweet karma

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1286 on: April 28, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »
i used to think lexicon was a random cool name that he chose and then I began learning linguistics

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1287 on: April 28, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
i'm moving my wa nation into tbr to join the fun

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1288 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:53 PM »
Nicce