Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Orbit troubles  (Read 3327 times)

Daryl95

Orbit troubles
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
I am building a system to base my science fiction novel on. I started with the local galaxies and deleted all the ones that I didn't think I'd ever use, leaving the major ones. I locked all of the positions of the galaxies because I didn't care if they moved and wanted to save on memory. I then locked the position of the Sun, again to save memory, and added Mercury. Mercury wasn't locked. I grew interested in making my own planets so it would be original and not copying somebody else's work. Here's my first problem:
Could not find a tutorial for Photoshop CS2 where all of the layer blending setting are messed up.
I had to go with a lower quality solution and used paint.net.
I placed another star and named it Colony. I then activated the habitable zone marker and placed a Gas Giant inside and tried to add rings. The rings gave me trouble but when I clicked Jupiter, they worked, I guess because I started with Jupiter. Here's my second problem:
When I deleted the rings, the appeared two Astronomical units away with no planet.
I then placed a moon with red and orange plants and oceans outside of the rings. Here's the REAL problem:
On my first attempt, when I reloaded the sim, the moon was inside the Gas Giant. On my second attempt the moon and gas giant were inside the star. None of the planets' orbits are locked. They should all revolve freely, and Mercury does. My gas giant and moon do not.
Forth Problem Discovered:
I can't set Mercury's rotation.
Fifth Problem Discovered: Phantom trails sometimes appears with no object and seam to be infinitely distant.
Most if not all problems seam to occur on restarting a simulation that I have saved. I now ALWAYS save my work, but my work doesn't save properly.
Below are several incarnations of the system. Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:17:20 PM by Daryl95 »

Daryl95

Re: Orbit troubles
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »
Here is the texture I used for the moon in case the sim gives you trouble without it.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
The simulation is too large. The bodies are too far away. I think thats why.

Daryl95

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
I thought of that but it worked with more galaxies than there are now and I only added Mercury and three other objects before I had this problem. Since I locked the positions of everything but the planets it isn't calculated any motion of stars or galaxies, meaning that it should take less memory. I really would like it to work this way if there is anyway I can work around it. I'm going to give it a try on XP as soon as I can fix my dvd drive.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
lock the postion of the planets too

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:04:59 PM »
Hmm, it's a glitch that causes objects inside galaxies to not be able to be zoomed into more than the radius of their parent.