Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: We need bigger items  (Read 3792 times)

Deathzilla7

We need bigger items
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
I've managed to get a dice to a million kilograms, but not to the size of the moon. And I've managed to get a planet to millions of suns of mass, but not to a galaxy.

I think we need more items of bigger sizes. Something needs to be like 1 M kg, 1,000 M kg, 1,000,000 M kg, 1x10^15 kg, and 1x10^18 kg.

We also need something that is 1 M Suns, 1,000 M Suns, and 1,000,000 M Suns in mass.

If we had these, we could crash objects from dice to planets making them bigger and bigger.

hohonator

Re: We need bigger items
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
i agree

Deathzilla7

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:13:03 AM »
bump

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »
When you say "size", do you mean mass or also volume?

I got a die to the mass of The Moon simply by clicking the mass value box and selecting "1 moon". Then I tried increasing it by dragging the mouse up while clicking in the box, it increased to the size of more than 60 milky ways without any problems. So I don't get any crashes from that, at least.
You can also just type the value in there without using the arrows, so I don't think template bodies are needed to have masses like that, if that's what they were for.

I agree some more objects would be nice, though. I think nebulae between stars and galaxies in size and mass - they could be generated like galaxies, using an image to make all the massless particles, and have a central mass body.

Deathzilla7

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
No, what I mean is: One of the Fun Things to Do is to crash asteroids into the Earth. I went and thought "Hey, it got slightly bigger". So, I mean, without editing the properties of the items, I want to basically make a giant super collider with the planets and items.

Imagine being able to bring a die up to the size of the milky way, as you said, manually (for the fun of smashing things together). Like crash 2 dice, and you get 10.6g. Keep crashing them until you get them bigger than a football and start adding those, until you can add bowling balls, then monoliths.

But, I can't say "and so forth", because there's a massive gap between monoliths and asteroids. It would take, from the size of 2 monoliths and 1 dice (minimum combined mass-3648kg), to the size of the smallest asteroid (Apophis-27000 M kg), just under 1.5 MILLION more monoliths, to be able to start crashing moons.

Then, from Apophis, it would take the addition of over 4.8 MILLION more Apophises before you can add anything like Pandora (0.0013*10^20 kg).

What I would like is a few objects in between these measurements with a scale of 100 times, 1000 times, etc. So, maybe something that is 1 M kg and 10 M kg, so we can add them to the giant dice sooner and easily make it to Apophis size. and maybe something 100 times the size of Apophis and then 500-1000 times the mass of that, as well. Then we can easily go from crashing dice into eachother to crashing small moons and eventually planets into eachother.

You know?

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »
Okay, fair enough.

Another solution for this very specific way of playing the game which would be useful also for other things could be to make it possible to copy objects and paste them, so you could just copy your object and "unlock" the bigger sizes gradually and exponentially.

Deathzilla7

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:17:31 PM »
True, that could work well.

So, Dan, if you could implement these ideas, that'd rock.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
I see where you're going with this. You'd like objects that better step up or down between all of the sizes that are possible. I agree.

I'm looking to fix lots of problems and make lots of improvements with the next update due out sometime next year.