Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Roche distortion?  (Read 2370 times)

DoctorWh0?

• You...shall not...pass!!!(This physics test)
Roche distortion?
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »
I know that this will probably be REALY hard, but I would like to have planets distorted by Roches limit, then fragment into individual pieces.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Roche distortion?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
You're in luck... roche fragmentation and tidal heating is the main new features we're working on for our next update, Alpha 19.

It won't look quite as cool as that image you shared, but we do have plans to improve the effect beyond what we do initially release.

dylan

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:19:32 AM »
You're in luck... roche fragmentation and tidal heating is the main new features we're working on for our next update, Alpha 19.

It won't look quite as cool as that image you shared, but we do have plans to improve the effect beyond what we do initially release.
do you have any idea if alpha 19 will be out by the end of this month

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:35 PM »
Our release date is currently unclear... adding roche fragmentation and doing it in a why that is realistic, has revealed other issues with the simulation that we're now working to fix. Turns out this is hard.

I'm sorry it's taking so long. I assure you we're all working to make the next update as awesome as possible.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »

I do hope that it won't be too CPU/GPU intensive, it sounds like an awesome effect but my PC is far from the best.