Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about multiverses  (Read 3741 times)

DelilahTw

Question about multiverses
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:28:17 AM »
Hello :)

I want to ask if the current version of the game support multiverses...I know that you can simulate solar systems and those will have planets side planets with moons and you can even collide solar systems but all the solar systems are a part of a galaxy like milky way for example and  I don't know if in the current version of the game you can go one step more and have something like Universe->Galaxies->Solar Systems->Star and Planets and have all the simulation in the screen and after that I would like to know if you can make all of this if you can have more that one universe on the screen... because we are in one universe but is not the only one... I would like to make a real simulation and I don't know if this game will arrive to this because is what I'm after. I would like to try real tests to try to understand things instead of play destroying planets or terraforming things.

Thank you and sorry for my English... I'm trying my best with the language but I'm really bad.

Gordon Freeman

Re: Question about multiverses
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »
You mean running two simulations at once? That doesn't sound computationally practical, but nice idea :3

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:08:12 AM »
There is no observable, testable, and experimental evidence to support the multiverse theory.
If you believe in the multiverse, then you believe in it by blind faith.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:09:30 AM »
I am not entirely sure what you are suggesting, but if Gordon understood you correct in wanting multiple simulations at once, then that is actually something we have considered. Not really to simulate multiverses", but rather to have a real-time comparisons between two sims with slightly different settings. That could be slightly different tolerances, integrator or perhaps gravity.

It would also be interesting to spawn a number of asteroids with ever so slightly different properties for position and velocity and see how their motion will diverge over time. This would be interesting to show how uncertainty about the actual precise properties of near-earth-objects can lead to either a hit or miss in the future.

DelilahTw

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »
There's one way to have multiverse simulations and is layering step by step... once you are in the multiverses maps you don't need to load or simulate galaxies inside with their solar systems, planets, etc... once you select  one of the universes in that multiverse map is when you generate that universe with the parameters that you selected previously like how many galaxies, distribution, types... but in that point you don't need to now and generate nothing about solar systems and planets... you are just inside one universe and you have the galaxies inside... once you select one of the galaxies in that universe...is the time to go to the next step and generate the solar systems and after the planets... so what I'm trying to say is that we don't need to generate and play with all the data in all the steps at the same time... there's no computer for that.. but all the steps can be divide individually... so the first one the one with the multiverses should be one of the easiest ones because is just a global representation of what is coming after but is not generating anything... would be amazing to give parameters to all the statements in the process to try to understand how is the universe that we are and how can be other universes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:39:08 PM by DelilahTw »

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
There's one way to have multiverse simulations and is layering step by step... once you are in the multiverses maps you don't need to load or simulate galaxies inside with their solar systems, planets, etc... once you select  one of the universes in that multiverse map is when you generate that universe with the parameters that you selected previously like how many galaxies, distribution, types... but in that point you don't need to now and generate nothing about solar systems and planets... you are just inside one universe and you have the galaxies inside... once you select one of the galaxies in that universe...is the time to go to the next step and generate the solar systems and after the planets... so what I'm trying to say is that we don't need to generate and play with all the data in all the steps at the same time... there's no computer for that.. but all the steps can be divide individually... so the first one the one with the multiverses should be one of the easiest ones because is just a global representation of what is coming after but is not generating anything... would be amazing to give parameters to all the statements in the process to try to understand how is the universe that we are and how can be other universes.

Basically, besides there being different universes, you're describing Space Engine.