Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Suggestions - Planet customization and satellites  (Read 3778 times)

RobotRussian

Suggestions - Planet customization and satellites
« on: December 24, 2015, 08:15:33 PM »
I thought of two good additions to the game.

Possibly a way to make planets more green if they are habitable, because rocky planets with water seems a bit strange. Plus, there should be a way to change coastlines or mountain ranges, creating more customized continents/lakes/oceans.

I would also think it would be nice to be able to create man-made satellites, similar to the ones orbiting Earth or make them alien-like. It would make a simulation better if there were satellites orbiting the planet or manned missions out to other planets/moons.

vmorgo

Re: Suggestions - Planet customization and satellites
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 07:36:21 AM »
I second the first suggestion.  I don't really think the second suggestion is necessarily a good idea, since this is a universe planetary simulator and the focus is on the physics/orbital mechanics interplanetary/interstellar objects, not simulation of civilizations or their artificial creations.

RobotRussian

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
Now that I think about it, maybe the second suggestion isn't the best one, and I wouldn't mind if it doesn't make it in. But I hope that the customization makes it in, I would want to make a world more like a home than a rock world with some water.

DenisineD

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
or let be able to put 3-D Models from different kind of 3D program: ex Sketch Up

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
I don't know about y'all, but I would like to see a Ring World, or Niven Ring, model in the game.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 03:05:05 AM »
Honestly the best way to customize worlds would be a texture/heightmap system like I've suggested before (and have pretty much always been ignored by the devs...not trying to be pushy honestly but I'd at least appericiate a "that sort of system would take too long/ be too hard to implement so if it will ever happen it'll be much later" type of answer, if that's what the case is.

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 04:53:21 AM »
Honestly the best way to customize worlds would be a texture/heightmap system like I've suggested before (and have pretty much always been ignored by the devs...not trying to be pushy honestly but I'd at least appericiate a "that sort of system would take too long/ be too hard to implement so if it will ever happen it'll be much later" type of answer, if that's what the case is.

We apprecciate your suggestions very much, but giving every object in the game its very own texture map is sadly not viable. We do this only for known and actually explored bodies, that have real elevation data.
For everything else we use a system which dynamically blends multiple heightmaps to form a random planetary surface.
It's unlikely that every object will carry its own set of textures, due to limited memory.
However, we'll try to find ways to let you customize objects, perhaps even import your own models.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:13:02 AM by Chris »

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »

We apprecciate your suggestions very much, but giving every object in the game its very own texture map is sadly not viable. We do this only for known and actually explored bodies, that have real elevation data.
For everything else we use a system which dynamically blends multiple heightmaps to form a random planetary surface.
It's unlikely that every object will carry its own set of textures, due to limited memory.
However, we'll try to find ways to let you customize objects, perhaps even import your own models.

I didn't mean having set textures for every object, I have just been asking for planetary texture/heightmap customization, kind of like the way the old US worked, but instead of using a texture of the moon for when a texture isn't set, the currently implemented system could be used.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 01:10:25 AM »
Hey Chris. How is that atmospheric light scattering thing going if your the one whom is doing that?

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 06:46:41 AM »
Hey Chris. How is that atmospheric light scattering thing going if your the one whom is doing that?

Actually Georg is going to be implementing that.
But i can tell you that it'll be after we've released a pending upgrade to the planetary temperature and climate module. There's something pretty exciting in the oven right now, but i can't spill all the beans about it yet ;)

Cryo

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »
*Anticipation intensifies*

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 09:48:38 PM »
Oh ok. That's cool, just wanted to know.