Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Retrograde moons  (Read 2612 times)

Tobytja

Retrograde moons
« on: October 18, 2015, 05:17:17 AM »
Please implement the possibility to put retrograde moons to the game. When I tried to create our Solar system with all moons and with the Sun on the orbit of Sagittarius A*, I wasn't able to put retrograde moons around the planets. More precisely said, I wasn't able to make them move in the retrograde direction. I tried to give them negative speed, I tried to add 180 degrees to their inclination, but nothing worked.

DaniheltheMage

• Ayy lmao
Re: Retrograde moons
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »
Putting a - (minus) reversed the speed for me. Lets say it was moving at 29 m/s, just change it to -29m/s

Tobytja

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »
When I did that, the moon started orbiting the Sun (parent's parent). When I tried that for the second time, the moon was placed to the centre of its parent and set all orbital elements' values to 0. I was unable to change the values anymore and since the moon is obviously smaller than its parent, I can't even delete it (I can't select it). But I guess the increased mass of the parent grew by some 0,00001% (maybe less), so that's not such a big deal.

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
When I did that, the moon started orbiting the Sun (parent's parent). When I tried that for the second time, the moon was placed to the centre of its parent and set all orbital elements' values to 0. I was unable to change the values anymore and since the moon is obviously smaller than its parent, I can't even delete it (I can't select it). But I guess the increased mass of the parent grew by some 0,00001% (maybe less), so that's not such a big deal.
try flipping it with the inclination options.

Tobytja

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
How exactly do you suggest to do that? I tried to increase inclination by 180 degrees, which I thought should flip the moon's trajectory, but it didn't work either. It set the inclination to some crazy number, which had nothing to do with the desired value. The orbit path was completely different from what it should. It would be far easier, if there just was an option to select, whether the moon is prograde or retrograde.

Arian

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
First of all, don't type in the value for inclination but use the slider. Do that in paused mode to prevent unwanted side effects while the orbit of the moon changes. To pause, simply press [space].
Move the inclination slider all the way to the right and note that the highest value to reach will be 179°.
180° would be no inclination at all but just the same orbital plane as 0°. It's a bit tricky but inclination is not supposed to determine the trajectory of your moon, even if it actually does. It only tells the angle between the horizontal plane and the orbital plane.