Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Molten Factor and lava consistency  (Read 2679 times)

Cryo

Molten Factor and lava consistency
« on: September 12, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
After comparing the old alphas to the current version that we are now all using,i noticed that there was once a "molten factor slider along with water level.After heating up a planet due to tidal forces i kind of realized that,shouldn't the lava/magma behave like water does in game? currently it looks like wisps of red energy moving about the planet/comet/dwarf-planet etc in all sorts of directions.Although the likely hood that i missed a post as to why it was taken out it high.May i ask will it ever be seen in game again?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Molten Factor and lava consistency
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
We're handing it differently now... so the old method doesn't make sense.

And we're in the middle of another major change that will change this again.

What's the functionality that you feel like is now missing? What do you actually want to do?

Cryo

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:38:02 PM »

What's the functionality that you feel like is now missing? What do you actually want to do?
i would like to see an option to...(im thinking how realistic this would be..) have a setting were the age of a planet also affects the temperature of the planet? say, a 1 billion year old planet vs a 6 billion year old planet?

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 05:35:56 AM »

i would like to see an option to...(im thinking how realistic this would be..) have a setting were the age of a planet also affects the temperature of the planet? say, a 1 billion year old planet vs a 6 billion year old planet?
I don't see that working because planets don't start off molten when you spawn them, this would only make since if GreenLeaf gets the accretion disk type stuff to work (or be practical), besides, the temperature of a Planet overtime is unnoticeable unless you're going at huge time steps.

Cryo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »

I don't see that working because planets don't start off molten when you spawn them, this would only make since if GreenLeaf gets the accretion disk type stuff to work (or be practical), besides, the temperature of a Planet overtime is unnoticeable unless you're going at huge time steps.
watching suns go through stellar evolution takes billions of years as well as galaxy collisions