Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: real-time/dynamic light rendering  (Read 1993 times)

gbrak30

real-time/dynamic light rendering
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »
we all remember Doom 3 and other games from that time that introduced real-time dynamic lighting right?
when i start a blank sim, and spawn a planet, technically it should be dark but there is a phantom sun lighting it.  Can we turn this off? Also when there are collisions and/or hot objects that are emitting light, how come that light doesnt hit surrounding objects? it seems like the dominant light source (when there isnt a star present) is the phantom sun.  Any suggestions?

tepidbread

Re: real-time/dynamic light rendering
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
=
when i start a blank sim, and spawn a planet, technically it should be dark but there is a phantom sun lighting it.  Can we turn this off?

I think that there is a slider for changing ambient light levels. It is located in view/backgrounds/advanced settings (top right corner of a background tile). See if that helps... I hope it made sense

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Objects are illuminated by default, I don't think it can be turned off. In a previous version (don't know which one), I think it used to be dark in the simulation until a star was added, but I can't remember very well (don't quote me on it). As for real-time lighting? I don't know about that. This game is quite intensive as it is without a fancy lighting system, but its not out of the realm of possibility. Giant Army just wants to get down the performance and the bugs before attempting big game changing features.

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
we all remember Doom 3 and other games from that time that introduced real-time dynamic lighting right?
when i start a blank sim, and spawn a planet, technically it should be dark but there is a phantom sun lighting it.  Can we turn this off? Also when there are collisions and/or hot objects that are emitting light, how come that light doesnt hit surrounding objects? it seems like the dominant light source (when there isnt a star present) is the phantom sun.  Any suggestions?
If you mess around with settings you can turn the light down as stated before. I think US1 had a "phantom sun" button though and I'm not sure if US2 does