Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Creation feature  (Read 2176 times)

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
Creation feature
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
I would like the feature to create any body you want,with your own characteristics,organized in tabs will be sweet too,a great UI improvement
I have a photo of what i have in mind
Obviously,i didn't put all the things you can edit of a body in Universe Sandbox,cause it wont fit in the photo
EDIT:Yes,i misspelled body wrong,both in the photo and the post xD

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
Re: Creation feature
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
My summary I guess:

Diameter (or Radius, as you have used) is related to the density and the mass, so that rules it out of the options.

Temperature is completely irrelevant when creating a planet, as temperature changes depending on distance to stars, etc.

Type of object is not really important, because when creating a galaxy, you cant use materials.  Unless, of course, you try to change the composition of the black hole in the center (if there is one in the galaxy in question-- Yes, some smaller irregular galaxies do not have a large heavy hump in the center like a black hole).  The only difference between asteroid, planet, etc is mass.  So that kind of rules that out.

Materials also affect density, so that rules density out, which rules radius out, as density affects radius (going in a loop to where I started I guess)

Creating a galaxy seems a bit difficult, creating a center black hole isn't so hard, but there will have to be some sort of procedural cluster generator for the galaxy star particles, unless you can create a template for the generator (ie. Seed)

Radiation is irrelevant in creating a planet, as radiation is simply another form of photons.  (photons collectively are radiation, eg. Infra red radiation is lower energy photon radiation ie.  Heat, which rules radiation out as it simply mimics temperature in this case)

Additionally, the difference between a planet and moon is not in the physical object itself, but what it is orbiting.  So it is probably a good idea to merge them into planet/moon.

In general, these fallbacks seem to make the whole thing a bit trippy.  For now, it is much easier to spawn in a planet and edit it's parameters.  You can even pause time while editing planets so that their changes in gravitational pull don't affect objects so much.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:53:58 AM by Electrodynamix »

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:33:57 AM »
The "create" feature already exists in the Main Panel

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »
I think he means a more detailed creation system.