Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shuts down while testing.  (Read 2614 times)

PrimeMinisterTom

• GANDALF IS WATCHING YOU! New Alpha Tester.
Shuts down while testing.
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:19 AM »
Hello there. I was five minutes into Universe Sandbox2 then my computer just shuts down. No warning - just shuts down. It boggles me. When I checked the log there is no sign of a fatal error. But it doesn't do it with other programs.

Is this Universe Sandbox or my computer?  :-\

Here is the log:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:31:56 AM by PrimeMinisterTom »

wubbzy301

• I stole a username idea!!!
Re: Shuts down while testing.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
Maybe it's your computer.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »
I'm not seeing anything in the error logs that point to a problem with US², everything appears to be running correctly up until the point the log cuts off.

It seems like you're running from a laptop, US² can be very taxing on a computer, so it's possible you're having issues with overheating. Check to make sure your laptop's vents are clear and not blocked. (Might help to dust them out as well). 

Additionally, you can check the windows event viewer, and look for any red errors. They may point to what caused the computer to shutdown. Provided the PC was able to shutdown cleanly... (You'll be looking for system events in the log)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-information-event-logs-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7

If the computer didn't shut down cleanly, it's quite likely that there's a hardware / Operating system problem on the computer. At worst, US² should only be capable of generating a blue screen. Not halting the entire machine, or forcing it to restart.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »
We just added a new feature in Alpha 8.3 that configures your graphics settings based on your computer's specs.

Home > Settings tab > Find Best Settings

- Start Universe Sandbox ²
- Click on Home
- Click on the Settings tab
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings panel
- Click "Find Best Settings" then "Find Best Settings"

Does that help?

PrimeMinisterTom

• GANDALF IS WATCHING YOU! New Alpha Tester.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:38:35 PM »
Maybe it's your computer.

Umm, I guess so.

Does that help?

It works.

I don't know why but even though the settings are set high, the simulations seem to run faster. o.o

If the computer didn't shut down cleanly, it's quite likely that there's a hardware / Operating system problem on the computer. At worst, US² should only be capable of generating a blue screen.

Yes. That day was a bad day for my computer. So, yes. It is a hardware problem. My computer does it to every game, that day.