Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: English Lessons for Hellpotatoes  (Read 1730 times)

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
English Lessons for Hellpotatoes
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
Put my errors here, I wanna learn with 'em.

so, "de" and "do" in portuguese mean "of" and "from"

eu gosto de maçãs
I like OF apples

eu sou da alemanha
I am FROM (it's right?) germany

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: English Lessons for Hellpotatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
of is not used before the object when it's a thing (in this case, maçãs)
from is used before the object when it's a place (in this case, alemanha)

Definition of OF

—used as a function word to indicate a point of reckoning <north of the lake>
a —used as a function word to indicate origin or derivation <a man of noble birth>
b —used as a function word to indicate the cause, motive, or reason <died of flu>
c : by <plays of Shakespeare>
d : on the part of <very kind of you>
e : occurring in <a fish of the western Atlantic>
—used as a function word to indicate the component material, parts, or elements or the contents <throne of gold> <cup of water>
a —used as a function word to indicate the whole that includes the part denoted by the preceding word <most of the army>
b —used as a function word to indicate a whole or quantity from which a part is removed or expended <gave of his time>
a : relating to : about <stories of her travels>
b : in respect to <slow of speech>
a —used as a function word to indicate belonging or a possessive relationship <king of England>
b —used as a function word to indicate relationship between a result determined by a function or operation and a basic entity (as an independent variable) <a function of x> <the product of two numbers>
—used as a function word to indicate something from which a person or thing is delivered <eased of her pain> or with respect to which someone or something is made destitute <robbed of all their belongings>
a —used as a function word to indicate a particular example belonging to the class denoted by the preceding noun <the city of Rome>
b —used as a function word to indicate apposition <that fool of a husband>
a —used as a function word to indicate the object of an action denoted or implied by the preceding noun <love of nature>
b —used as a function word to indicate the application of a verb <cheats him of a dollar> or of an adjective <fond of candy>
—used as a function word to indicate a characteristic or distinctive quality or possession <a woman of courage>
a —used as a function word to indicate the position in time of an action or occurrence <died of a Monday>

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
I'll make a thread to people put my gramatical errors,

"I'll make a thread for people to put my grammatical errors." It's still an awkward sentence but it's grammatical.

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
I'll make a thread to people put my gramatical errors,

"I'll make a thread for people to put my grammatical errors." It's still an awkward sentence but it's grammatical.
kolok

and thanks Darvince