Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Upgrades & Updates: The Future of Universe Sandbox  (Read 185051 times)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Upgrades & Updates: The Future of Universe Sandbox
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
it's going to be universe sandbox 4.

namtap

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »
I can't say I'm not disappointed, but I understand the (arguably unfortunate) realities of this world.

The main thing that bothers me is that, if I'm looking into this correctly, it's only the new version that will have Mac support, correct?  Although I feel as though I haven't the right to complain given that I did buy the program when it was on sale, I did buy it having been told that there would be a future update to include my primary OS.  I do have a Windows partition, which avoids having to deal with the rarely-functional WINE or Parallels or whatever, but it's still an inconvenience and it's a little disheartening to hear that I'm never going to get that port.

I'll still probably end up buying US3 once it goes on sale; I'm not sure.  Depends on how much the full asking price is and how well it would perform on my computer (US2 isn't great in that regard, at all).

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
The main thing that bothers me is that, if I'm looking into this correctly, it's only the new version that will have Mac support, correct?

Correct. The engine used by v2 is Windows only and a Mac port of v2 is not feasible. The engine we're using for v3 has support for Windows and Mac (plus other platforms) and we're rewriting it from the ground up.

Although I feel as though I haven't the right to complain given that I did buy the program when it was on sale, I did buy it having been told that there would be a future update to include my primary OS.  I do have a Windows partition, which avoids having to deal with the rarely-functional WINE or Parallels or whatever, but it's still an inconvenience and it's a little disheartening to hear that I'm never going to get that port.

Yeah... I feel the broken promise most effects those that (probably) only purchased because they thought they were going to get a free upgrade.

Version 3 has become much more than a direct port of v2 which was more how I imagined it would be when I made the promise. Since that time I've brought on an astronomer and a physics expert that are pushing the boundaries of what I imagined was possible to simulate with any sort of realism.

I'll still probably end up buying US3 once it goes on sale; I'm not sure.  Depends on how much the full asking price is and how well it would perform on my computer (US2 isn't great in that regard, at all).

I hope the performance of v3 will be at least as good as v2. Both like as much computational power as you can give them.

it's going to be universe sandbox 4.

Nope... something else. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:56:44 PM by Dan Dixon »

Dragonbait

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »
Well I'm just really excited for V3, it sounds really good and I'm more than happy to pay for the new version.
I bought long before any sales or any mention of a V3 (let alone it being free) and whilst it was good to hear that V3 would be free, It's ever better to hear that its going to be a substantial upgrade over V2 (even at a price)!
For what its worth I'd happily pay early to get into the beta  ;).

Keep up the good work! ;D

On2wheels

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
Thanks for the update on progress, it's refreshing to have an open and frank discussion with developers, I'm anxiously awaiting the next version, and I hope it puts my newly built intel based pc thru its paces.  As I understand it, the new version will be a different application and run alongside the old one?

clockworks

• Connor
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
i'm in support of what you think is best:)

Atmosfear

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 05:26:48 AM »
Dan, thank you for your full explanation about the decision.  I love your program, though I don't use it on a weekly basis, and would be more than happy to purchase the new version when it comes out.  Also keep in mind that some v2 owners (like myself) did not pay 'full price' but got it for just a few dollars when Steam ran its special last year.  You've got me hooked on stardust, sir.  Cannot wait to see what you've got cooked up!

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
For what its worth I'd happily pay early to get into the beta  ;).

Yeah... we're talking about offering pre-orders that include access to the beta. Perhaps something similar to what Prison Architect or Planetary Annihilation is doing.

The new version will be a different application and run alongside the old one?

Yes.

TrueCoppa

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
For what its worth I'd happily pay early to get into the beta  ;).

Yeah... we're talking about offering pre-orders that include access to the beta. Perhaps something similar to what Prison Architect or Planetary Annihilation is doing.
That sounds like a great idea, it solves the problem of how people get access to the beta as well as opening it to everyone, not just a few who get selected.

JayPix2012

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
Will there be cloud animation for rock planets and gas giant planets Dan?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
Will there be cloud animation for rock planets and gas giant planets Dan?

Ask this question in a feature related thread, not this one.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
To answer your question, well partially, I think Eric or Chris is working on procedural gas giant cloud formation. (Check out the Unite 2012 presentation here, http://video.unity3d.com/video/6958259/unite-2012-creating-the)
About cloud formation for terra planets, I think Dan said something about him working on that feature, but I'm still undecided whether that's true.

rv6abob

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »
I have no problem paying for an upgrade. You have great software and I look forward to what you come out with next!

ShoeUnited

• Non opus est, si pretium non habetis.
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 03:15:47 AM »

Sign me up for this.  I saw your ideas as they bloomed and I thought 'Naw'.  When you said free update.  I think I even argued against it a little in one post (memory not as good as the search feature, but lazy wins). 

Then I saw you were writing on the Unity engine.  And that kind of told me to reconfirm I'd have to pay.  Which was fine by me and my attitude from the start.  A man can't eat on dreams alone. 

Since (iirc) you are using the unity engine, are you going to use the preview function for linux support?  I'd love to have UB natively on linux.  :D  And with steam rolling out linux support some time next year probably, what fortuitous alignment. 

Don't need to apologize or feel humbled because you have to ask to have money for these people and yourself.  You deserve the money.  You deserve the right to dream.

jman

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
So just one question looking at all the fourm posts is confusing because there never seems to be a straight answer so I'm going to ask this once, if you allready have ubox2 will ubox3 be free or will i have to buy it again? just a yes or no answer please.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
...yes

actually ubox3 will cost money for everyone.

Tristhal333

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
You know what would make sense. Perhaps take a small amount say 10% or 20% of the final price for those who have Universe Sandbox already. But yah the reasons are clear why it has to be sold and not just an upgrade.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 08:24:43 PM »
You know what would make sense. Perhaps take a small amount say 10% or 20% of the final price for those who have Universe Sandbox already. But yah the reasons are clear why it has to be sold and not just an upgrade.
No, Dan and the team deserves a full payment, not a 20 or 30 percent off.

MrMeltJr

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »
No, Dan and the team deserves a full payment, not a 20 or 30 percent off.

This. I confess I did only buy this on a whim while looking through Steam sales, but I'd be happy to pay full price, and would've done so had I not seen it on sale. Anything up to $30 would be okay with me; more than that, I'd have to stay with v2 (until I get rich, and I plan to at some unforeseeable point in the future).

'course, I'd be happy to pay at a discount, too :P

SupeRobotLazerTiger

• I love the smell of black holes in the mornin'.
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »
I've had tons of fun - (or countless pentillions of tons....) in v2! I would be more than happy  to pay for v3 (and if I  would give some generous donations if my account permitted LOL) and wish you guys a very merry christmas and good luck on your work!

Wetferret

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
I absolutely do not mind purchasing a new version.  This program has been an incredible amount of educational fun, and I would honestly feel good about supporting this project.  Keep up the incredible work.

Tristhal333

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »
"No, Dan and the team deserves a full payment, not a 20 or 30 percent off."
I do agree im just saying 1 dollar off would be nice lol for those who already bought the original sim. Really it is an entirely new game i must say.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
"No, Dan and the team deserves a full payment, not a 20 or 30 percent off."
I do agree im just saying 1 dollar off would be nice lol for those who already bought the original sim. Really it is an entirely new game i must say.
One dollar off? That's kind of pointless.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:22:34 AM by tuto99 »

1029chris

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »
What, This is terrible! I just bought Universe Sandbox on my mac on the steam christmas sale so I could get Universe Sandbox 3 when it comes out! I don't have anymore money to get 3! Now I will just have a useless windows game sitting around. This is so disappointing... Is there anything you can do about that?  :'(

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2012, 12:05:29 AM »
What, This is terrible! I just bought Universe Sandbox on my mac on the steam christmas sale so I could get Universe Sandbox 3 when it comes out! I don't have anymore money to get 3! Now I will just have a useless windows game sitting around. This is so disappointing... Is there anything you can do about that?  :'(

To be fair... didn't you only pay $2.50 for it (or was it $5)? Although depending on your situation, that could be a lot of money.

Did you buy it via Steam or this website (in which case it was $20)?

Send me a note with your email address (and mention this thread):
http://universesandbox.com/contact/
... and I'll make this right.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:46:15 AM by Dan Dixon »

raf1

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
My son bought me the current release for Christmas - not sure what he paid for it but it appears to be an incredible value (@ $20).  I have read this thread and appreciate each respondents financial situation and acknowledge that as a fixed income retiree, I share the concern regarding the outright/upgrade pricing suggested so far.  However, I also see a dedicated team of developers and a passionate community of users which leads me to believe that they are both interested in the future viability/availability of US.  Having said that, I can see where it is necessary for the policy change in order to ensure the continued development of an awesome feature set.  So the market, as it always has, will ultimately decide the pricing of US.  I for one will give strong consideration to upgrading US whatever future pricing policy prevails. Best regards to all for the New Year.   

zed260

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »
i bought version 2 sometime ago i paid 19.95 for it maybe those who paid full price can get 3 free or something

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 05:25:04 AM »
i bought version 2 sometime ago i paid 19.95 for it maybe those who paid full price can get 3 free or something
The version 3 WILL COST MONEY. STOP ASKING FOR IT TO BE FREE.

zed260

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 11:15:04 PM »
im going to see if i cant pay something like 50 plus dollars "maybe even as high as 70" that be more then triple the sandbox version 2 price and get a contract written up forcing dan to give me all future versions/expansion packs for free and if not honered be forced to refund me the full amount of sucha  contract

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »
im going to see if i cant pay something like 50 plus dollars "maybe even as high as 70" that be more then triple the sandbox version 2 price and get a contract written up forcing dan to give me all future versions/expansion packs for free and if not honered be forced to refund me the full amount of sucha  contract

where are you getting the quote that it maybe even as high as 70 from?