Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will 3.0 include satelites, space shuttle etc?  (Read 6879 times)

1lluminatus

Will 3.0 include satelites, space shuttle etc?
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »
I know it's possible to add these to the simulator somehow, but I never managed to do it succesfully. Will there be atleast a few 3d models in 3.0?

Also, I can't wait to see how Sol looks in 3.0 or any other star.  :D

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Will 3.0 include satelites, space shuttle etc?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
We're planning to include some basic 3D models, like satellites, in the next version.

The specific models have yet to be determined.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:19:23 AM by Dan Dixon »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:18:17 AM »
Also, I can't wait to see how Sol looks in 3.0 or any other star.  :D

Wait no longer...
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,6242.0.html

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:48 AM »
will there be lighting effects for the planets like gas giants.?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
Gas giants and rocky planets are lighted the same way. the game doesn't differentiate from states of matter i think.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »
will there be lighting effects for the planets like gas giants.?

What kind of effects do you mean? Can you elaborate?

1lluminatus

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »
Thanks for answering my question and for the great picture! Sadly I lost my steam account, but already have made a new one and am about to buy Universe Sandbox again. ;D

I really appreciate everything you guys are doing. Keep it up.

EDIT TO ADD: Did the backgrounds (Stars, Milky Way) change? I remember the background being sharper, or is that just my imagination. :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:35:01 AM by 1lluminatus »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
Did the backgrounds (Stars, Milky Way) change? I remember the background being sharper, or is that just my imagination. :P

Good question. You're right, it isn't as sharp. We'll ether revert to the old texture or move to a new one that's better than the original one.

APODman

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
    • Astronomic Picture of the Day - Brazil
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
The part of the models used for satellites suggestion would be to incorporate a system of inclusion of orbital data (TLE) of realistic objects in the U.S. 3.0.

Software such as Visual Satflare 3D or the Heavensat can import directly TLE updated database as Spacetrack and / or Celestrack to simulate the passages of objects in orbit so as to provide visualization of the passages and the study of evolution satellite orbits and satellite positioning emitting flares in order to predict recurrence.

Something that would be possible is also the important prediction of re-entry tracks of the satellites debris.

( Here are one recent example of the importance of this kind of prediction, the re-entry track of the Ariane 44L: http://www.satflare.com/track.php?q=24770 , in really the debris of the Ariane 44L R/B fall over one city in Brazil: http://tinyurl.com/82hcbll . The debris were within the predicted trajectory, later even an amateur video of the reentry of the Ariane 44L R/B was released confirming the prevision of the track of the re-entry: Reentry of Ariane 44L R/B (NORAD 24770) captured ? )

The system, I think, should be able to offer a manual selection of groups of objects in orbit to be viewed in the simulation as well as update their TLE (as in Heavensat).

This possibility is very interesting, actually think it would be fantastic, both the scientific point of view and because it will surely attract the attention of a large community of scholars and sattelite amateur observers to the US 3.0 since the software possess an ability of visualization far superior of any other software dedicate for sattelite simulations.

note: Important aspects of sattelite observation and the Science that are involved can be read here:
- http://www.satobs.org/satintro.html

[ ]'s