Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help! :D  (Read 25083 times)

smjjames

Re: Help! :D
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
The first two, Pnhlb and Fdcsshuu, their average temperatures are 93.5 F (range is 58-129 F) and 33.5 F respectively.

To see the temperatures, click on the planetary body, select the middle tab, scroll down a bit and select planetary temperatures.

You can change the names to something more pronounceable by the human tongue if you want to. Also, you have my permission to use those two if you want. Not sure how it'll fit into a quadrinary system though, or maybe Fiah can just transplant the star and two planets.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:09:34 AM by smjjames »

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54391'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:09:46 AM by FiahOwl »

FiahOwl

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54392'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:09:43 AM by FiahOwl »

smjjames

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
As for the EuPelagic subtype, if there is no land, your colonists can't land on it

LMFAO

You'd think it would be obvious if you read the class and subtype descriptions.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »
I don't want it to be cramped. I want it to be fairly comfortable. More of the feeling of a space station than a ship. And ice? Hmm... That would work. Where would we find such quantities though?

Moons, comets, planets ( think Pluto)

matty406

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
I don't want it to be cramped. I want it to be fairly comfortable. More of the feeling of a space station than a ship. And ice? Hmm... That would work. Where would we find such quantities though?

Moons, comets, planets ( think Pluto)
Just strap Pluto onto your ship and you'll be fine and dandy. :P

Ravenshaw

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
Thanks FiahOwl! I appreciate it:D If this ever goes beyond being just a personal project, and I end up selling it, I'll make sure to give you full credit, and also a small percentage of the royalties if you want.

And Pluto.. You mean like mining Pluto to get that much ice? Wouldn't that affect it's orbit though?

FiahOwl

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54525'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:09:00 AM by FiahOwl »

FiahOwl

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54526'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:08:58 AM by FiahOwl »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 08:49:29 PM »
it would
All depends on how much you mine
But Matty has best solution

Ravenshaw

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
Will do. I'm not 18 either. Anyway, here's the small description I wrote of A.S.I. for the story.

Aeridani Space Industries. [A.S.I.] This technological juggernaut is at the leading edge of space-based technologies. One of the few companies that has international contracts, A.S.I is known for its pioneering spirit and revolutionary thinking, so it was only natural that they were the ones contracted by each of the worlds governments when the colonization opportunities arose. Rather than using this as an opportunity to gain money, they did something far more valuable. The price that each government had to pay in return for their services was guaranteed immunity for any and all A.S.I. ships and workers, and a place on each ship of the Generation class that would be leaving Earth. As a result, they are the first private corporation to ever establish a foothold outside of Earth. In the new systems, having a job with A.S.I. is a mark of honor.

Just thought you might find that interesting.

And you say it wouldn't affect the orbit? Alright then, sounds good.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
It would affect its orbit

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
How much depends on how much you mine. A large ship would need a huge ice shield, definitely change pluto's orbit a bit

Ravenshaw

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »
Could we mine the asteroids for metal instead?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
Yes, but metal is expensive a valuable. Ice is cheap and no one cares about Pluto.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Maybe so, but wouldn't Pluto's orbit being screwed up affect the rest of the solar system in various ways?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
No, the effect would be infinitesimal over such large distances
And mining out asteroids would make the same exact effect

Ravenshaw

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
Alright. Pluto it is then! Thanks. We'll set to building the ships right away. Um.. And what about this "ablative shielding?" How does it work?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
Ice, ablative
It's basically putting a bunch of material ( ice) to block debris. That's all

Ravenshaw

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
But wouldn't that make it so that the engines have to work harder? I mean, wouldn't that be very un-areodynam.... Oh. They're in space, that doesn't matter, does it..

FiahOwl

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54555'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:08:47 AM by FiahOwl »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »
But wouldn't that make it so that the engines have to work harder? I mean, wouldn't that be very un-areodynam.... Oh. They're in space, that doesn't matter, does it..

Longer to accelerate, but even if you accelerate at 1g, not too uncomfortable, only take 9 years to 0.9 light speed.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »
GaianPaludial Subdivision  These are EuGaian worlds with 30 to 50% water coverage, where land features tend to have low surface relief, forming extensive swamplands, lakes, lushly forested regions, and semi-open woodland.  The climate is predominantly oceanic, with relatively open ocean flow and freedom for globe-spanning weather systems to keep a largely homogenous planetary temperature.  Polar regions do tend towards glaciation, however.  The geographical arrangement is typically due to a decrease in geological activity, and tends to be common for lower mass, older Gaian worlds.

Can we have one of these, plus a gas giant with habitable moons in the same system?

FiahOwl

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54562'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:08:42 AM by FiahOwl »

smjjames

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
GaianPaludial Subdivision  These are EuGaian worlds with 30 to 50% water coverage, where land features tend to have low surface relief, forming extensive swamplands, lakes, lushly forested regions, and semi-open woodland.  The climate is predominantly oceanic, with relatively open ocean flow and freedom for globe-spanning weather systems to keep a largely homogenous planetary temperature.  Polar regions do tend towards glaciation, however.  The geographical arrangement is typically due to a decrease in geological activity, and tends to be common for lower mass, older Gaian worlds.

Sounds like a terraformed Mars.

Besides what Fiah said about the gas giant, you could put a large gas giant (I honestly have no idea what the minimum gas giant size is needed to hold earth size moons in a stable orbit, so you could fudge around here) and have the planet be a satellite of the gas giant, two birds with one stone so to speak.

Also, as far as mining ice, it doesn't have to be JUST Pluto, you could mine ice from various locations, heck, have the ship park in the Kupier belt for a while and mine the whole belt.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
Nah. I want to have them be separate form each other. One larger planet for the main colony, and the  moons to have other things.

FiahOwl

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54566'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:08:37 AM by FiahOwl »

Ravenshaw

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
Crap:/ Umm.. So we would have to go with the planet orbiting the gas giant?

smjjames

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
If you have a close orbiting binary with a period of many years, you could have the GaianPaludial type world around one star with the gas giant around the other star of the binary pair. Will that work for you?

Still, you can have a gas giant in the same system as the habitable planet, it just won't be in the habitable zone.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »
one station at one planet is better than 10 stations at 10 comets. 10 times as complicated. 10 times the risk. No I think Pluto will have yo do
GaianPaludial Subdivision  These are EuGaian worlds with 30 to 50% water coverage, where land features tend to have low surface relief, forming extensive swamplands, lakes, lushly forested regions, and semi-open woodland.  The climate is predominantly oceanic, with relatively open ocean flow and freedom for globe-spanning weather systems to keep a largely homogenous planetary temperature.  Polar regions do tend towards glaciation, however.  The geographical arrangement is typically due to a decrease in geological activity, and tends to be common for lower mass, older Gaian worlds.

Sounds like a terraformed Mars.

Besides what Fiah said about the gas giant, you could put a large gas giant (I honestly have no idea what the minimum gas giant size is needed to hold earth size moons in a stable orbit, so you could fudge around here) and have the planet be a satellite of the gas giant, two birds with one stone so to speak.

Also, as far as mining ice, it doesn't have to be JUST Pluto, you could mine ice from various locations, heck, have the ship park in the Kupier belt for a while and mine the whole belt.