Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rings not affected by planet passby  (Read 2807 times)

Scimajor

Rings not affected by planet passby
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »
Disclaimer: I am completely new to this application.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I set up a planet with a ring system and "fired off" a much smaller planet through the ring system. None of the particles in the ring were affected in the least.

Oddly, if I set up a system with a moon orbiting a planet and then put a ring system on either the moon or the planet then the ring system is predictably disturbed.

Additionally, if create a collision the "dust" does not seem to be affected by gravity in the least.

Ideas?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Rings not affected by planet passby
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
Scimajor, are you firing the body perpendicularly or parralel to the rings? If the body has a small mass and/or is moving too fast, there will be negliable effect. Try making the object heavier and denser and slower. Also, shoot it on the same plane as the ring so it stays close to the dust particles longer and has a greater effect.

Scimajor

Re: Rings not affected by planet passby
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
You nailed it. I wasn't taking into account the temporal aspect of the event. The moon I fired into the ring system blasted through at a speed greatly in excess of what was necessary to produce my desired effect.