Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I broke the universe! (crash issue)  (Read 6148 times)

ultimaIX

I broke the universe! (crash issue)
« on: April 30, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
Hello.  Recently bought this (wonderful) app off steam.  Was loving it - what had started out as a "hmm, this looks kinda cool" turned into a 5 hour long session of me finding new ways to break the universe, haha.  However, i seem to have not only destroyed the universe, but i've also broken the game itself.  Although i did crash the sim a few times - it didn't like it when i made a ridiculously dense object for example; it always just recovered itself.  (What do you mean i can't make a pair of dice with the mass of 15 million suns?!? lol)

The last crash seems to have killed the program though.  I tried to load a different simulation, the game crashed (with error report) and attempted to restart.  I saw the game load up (not a steam issue apparently), however once the USB window comes up, the planet-around-the-star loading icon appears, and the program dumps.  The crash report window comes up, but then loops right back and crashes again.  I'm assuming there's a corrupt file somewhere, so i was wondering if there are any config files or cashe files that could be deleted to return the program to it's original state.  I did see a few config files in there, but i didn't want to start removing things randomly and end up doing more harm.  Since the program worked just fine for several hours, i'm assuming this isn't a hardware or driver issue.  I suppose i could reinstall the program, but i'd rather fix it, so that just in case it happens again i'll know what to do.  Thanks for the help in advance, and Wow, what a great app!

-ultimaIX

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: I broke the universe! (crash issue)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »
I'll be releasing a fix for this late on Monday, or click the "More Options" button to turn off auto reload of the system on startup. That should fix it.

I'm going to fix the crash and change the way the auto-reload works so this won't happen again to you or anyone else.

ultimaIX

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »
That fixed it, thanks!  (back to tinkering... :)

-ultimaIX

dividebyzero

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
Same problem here so I did this and it worked. This could help as an easy fix. Right click Universe Sandbox in Steam Library Select -> Properties -> Set launch options, and add - auto reload 0   That could help if you can't start the game.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
Same problem here so I did this and it worked. This could help as an easy fix. Right click Universe Sandbox in Steam Library Select -> Properties -> Set launch options, and add - auto reload 0   That could help if you can't start the game.

That's interesting that this worked. :)
Turns out what's happening is the command line thinks it's trying to load a new simulation which overrides the auto reload option. Cool.

I'm going to fix this feature to not repeatedly auto load over and over if there's a crash.

presidentjlh

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
Hey, that auto reload thing worked!  ;D

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
This issue has been fixed. I'd recommend removing the command line additions to prevent possible issues in the future. :)