Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Community Idea List  (Read 257970 times)

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
Re: Community Idea List
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
It ran in real time on a Q6600 with Radeon HD 4890(Infinity Tech Demo 2010).

I'm not sure about the real time galaxy vid though. Probably on less powerful PC, it is a little bit laggy.
Ehh, I think I jumped to conclusions.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 06:09:59 AM »
minor problem: i clicked something and either opened a new page or removed everything..its all blank. The document is still open  though. cntrl z doens't work.

nvm, fixd, i just switched to another table by accident :DDD

smjjames

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
What about a way to copy and paste bodies or multiple bodies at once?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »
think that was suggested. check and add it to the list if it isn't. you don't have to ask :)
and that is something that is going to be added in the next update if possible iirc.

smjjames

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
Okay, and I was thinking of copying the solar system with all known moons (minus the ones with a mass of 0) and pasting it right above or near or something the origional. Sort of like that copying the solar system thing and pasting it again that was posted somewhere, except without the moons.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
Okay, and I was thinking of copying the solar system with all known moons (minus the ones with a mass of 0) and pasting it right above or near or something the origional. Sort of like that copying the solar system thing and pasting it again that was posted somewhere, except without the moons.

Or copying the Saturnian system and pasting it next to the Jovian system... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

rciandes

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
I think it would be really cool to have atmospheres for planets, when one part of the planet is in the light, the sky looks normal as usual, when its night time, then it looks night time :P

FiahOwl

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
I think it would be really cool to have atmospheres for planets, when one part of the planet is in the light, the sky looks normal as usual, when its night time, then it looks night time :P

Atmospheres are being added in the next update :)

smjjames

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »
Yea, there was something about atmospheres in that interview, not sure what he said specifically about them though.

Since I'm getting lots of long period comets and potential Trans-Neptunian/Kupier Belt Object equivalents in the system I'm accreting, I thought perhaps an option in the object menu to give it a comet tail.

I'm interested in seeing what the improved collisions are like, suppousedly colliding objects are treated like 'exploded' objects or something, basically more realistic collisions than just poofing when they touch.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
Atmospheres are being added in the next update :)

In the next major update due out sometime next year, yes it will have atmospheres.

There will be a minor bug fixing update in the next month, but this will not include atmospheres.

smjjames

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 09:29:27 AM »
Can we get some pics though please? :D

Also, I have a thought, I tried to set an object that I wanted to explode to a custom texture and different trail color, but none of the exploded objects kept those settings, except for the 'core'. So, either have a way to change the trail/object color and/or texture of multiple objects or have an option for exploded objects keep the color and/or texture of the origional whole object.

Although, it sounds like the explode mechanics and stuff might change since it sounded like the new collision system involved 'exploding' the object or something. Obviously it can't be literally exploding the object just before they impact because that could set off a chain reaction.

FiahOwl

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
Can we get some pics though please? :D

Also, I have a thought, I tried to set an object that I wanted to explode to a custom texture and different trail color, but none of the exploded objects kept those settings, except for the 'core'. So, either have a way to change the trail/object color and/or texture of multiple objects or have an option for exploded objects keep the color and/or texture of the origional whole object.

Although, it sounds like the explode mechanics and stuff might change since it sounded like the new collision system involved 'exploding' the object or something. Obviously it can't be literally exploding the object just before they impact because that could set off a chain reaction.

I think there will be an option for new mechanics and old mechanics.

smjjames

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »
Depends on what the new mechanic is. I know as much about it as you do, I'm just saying the way I heard it described or thought it was described as. Whatever the new mechanic is, it's suppoused to be more realistic.

FiahOwl

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
Depends on what the new mechanic is. I know as much about it as you do, I'm just saying the way I heard it described or thought it was described as. Whatever the new mechanic is, it's suppoused to be more realistic.

Yeah. I'm going to make a Modding Concept thread.

smjjames

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
You know how like when you have a diagram showing the locations of stars in our neghborhood with lines showing the z axises and a mark showing the position on a horizontial plane?

Like this (maybe not the horizontal connection lines) :

I was thinking that it would be an useful and cool feature to add. We already have the orbital plane and there is already a z-axis line shown when we place objects and drag them up or down. I was trying to order the objects in the system, but given how messy the orbits are, it is difficult to tell which one is in what order. While I was doing that, I had thought of the kind of diagram mentioned above which might make things somewhat easier as well as being a visual tool in general.

FiahOwl

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »
You know how like when you have a diagram showing the locations of stars in our neghborhood with lines showing the z axises and a mark showing the position on a horizontial plane?

Like this (maybe not the horizontal connection lines) :

I was thinking that it would be an useful and cool feature to add. We already have the orbital plane and there is already a z-axis line shown when we place objects and drag them up or down. I was trying to order the objects in the system, but given how messy the orbits are, it is difficult to tell which one is in what order. While I was doing that, I had thought of the kind of diagram mentioned above which might make things somewhat easier as well as being a visual tool in general.

Have you tried the Relation Lines feature?

smjjames

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
Doesn't help much in determing the order of the objects in my situation, and I have 51 planets currently in the system. Not to mention the fact that many of them have high inclinations (over 50) and since the two stars orbit on a 36 degree or so plane, the planets try to orbit around 30 degrees or so.

I've got less than 400 sim years to go, so maybe a few more objects will get ejected....

FiahOwl

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
Doesn't help much in determing the order of the objects in my situation, and I have 51 planets currently in the system. Not to mention the fact that many of them have high inclinations (over 50) and since the two stars orbit on a 36 degree or so plane, the planets try to orbit around 30 degrees or so.

I've got less than 400 sim years to go, so maybe a few more objects will get ejected....

Ah, nvm.

FiahOwl

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:55 AM »
Err... Wut?

smjjames

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
Someone else with the same name maybe? It does look kind of odd with the same name.

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
 I think that  on the main planets such as earth Jupiter you should be able to see shifts and cloud changes,craters and destruction,or stars expanding over time...

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
there's impact marks , but it would be quite difficult code in craters by modifying a object for every collision

smjjames

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
I think that  on the main planets such as earth Jupiter you should be able to see shifts and cloud changes,craters and destruction,or stars expanding over time...

Dan is planning on including stellar evolution over time eventually. Although now with the interlocked luminosity and temperature values, you can simulate that more easily.

I'm sure you can find the formula somewhere for calculating what the luminosity or size a star (both on and outside the main sequence) will be in n billion or million years if one looked around.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:13:23 AM by smjjames »

AveryRe

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 08:15:14 AM »
I have a pretty simple (although probably already mentioned) idea, the ability to simulate simple space missions. This could work much like the way you emit light waves. You could click on an object (lets say, Earth) have an option to launch a shuttle, turning your cursor to a crosshair, and then click on another object. It could accurately simulate the time it would take to fly a craft to that object and one could speed up the process obviously using the time manipulation options already in the simulator.

This also opens up the option for one or two more steam achievements  ;) for example:

One Small Step for Man...
Send a spacecraft from Earth to the Moon.

Edit: There could also be additional parameters such as the option to have a craft return to its point of origin after visiting it's destination.

Return to Sender
Send a spacecraft to a distant planet and have it return safely to Earth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:26:15 AM by AveryRe »

smjjames

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »
Hey Dan, since the UI will be changed a good deal (well, the object properties box probably won't change as much, but who can say at this early point), I have a thought. What about a box that shows the stars spectral classification? Such as G5V (main sequence), A2i (supergiant), or B7iii (giant). Although you don't have to do the whole 'a' 'ab' 'b' thing here or go into the extended spectral types.

parsley

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 02:44:13 PM »
Can you make it support 3d somehow? (Talk to nVidia about 3dtvplay, or AMD about their version?) I'd love to have planets out in the room.

Watching the galaxy collision simulation (even if it's maybe a bit wrong, from reading the previous post about dark matter), being able to rotate smoothly in 3d while all the calculations are going on is amazing.

smjjames

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »
They're developing the next major update which uses the Unity engine, which should support 3D properly.

Right now, the 3D mode requires those special glasses and it causes the program to wierd out every time I accidentially turn it on. Tried changing it to the NVIDIA supported mode, but that just caused more problems.

My graphics card has supported other 3D games and stuff just fine, so it's probably the engine the current one uses. Which reportedly hasn't been updated in over a year.

parsley

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
They're developing the next major update which uses the Unity engine, which should support 3D properly.

Thanks.

ethan123

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2012, 09:11:31 AM »
very cool game and good work also in the new update would the game much different, i would like the graphics on some of the stuff to more advanced overall a very good game/simulator 

QuantumSun

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but having the ability to change certain astrophysical data without changing other data (i.e., changing the diameter of a star without the temperature or luminosity data changing.) I try to use data from star and exoplanet catalogues (SIMBAD, etc.) but sometimes I cannot get the astrophysical data to fully represent what I'm seeing in the catalogues. The ability to lock EVERY data point would fix that problem (obviously not the one you are changing.) That being said, and as an aside, I am absolutely addicted to this program! Great job all involved!  ;D Oh, also, does this program utilize GPU's for physics processing?