Welcome, Guest

Poll

Are you religious?

Yes, I believe in a religion with more than one god.
1 (2.3%)
Yes, I believe in a religion with one god.
9 (20.9%)
I believe in a personal god, but no religion.
5 (11.6%)
I'm not sure.
10 (23.3%)
I don't believe in any god.
18 (41.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 19376 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: Religion
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2014, 08:38:20 PM »
Take a look at this:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

To the extent that you can find good things in Christianity and Islam you'll have to cherry pick. Of course you can always simply ignore the bad parts and pretend that Christianity is good. But the truth is that it's clearly not - and that is equally evident from it's evil influence. Thanks to that an entire millennium has been spent where people have been killed for being gay, atheist... people they thought were witches were killed, people who spoke out against their worldview such as world being flat were killed, people were sent to conquer other lands and purge those who did not share their superstitions, pretty much every oppressive fascist bandit government has come to power using christian ideas as arguments to support their actions, from Hitler's delusional fear of jews... And the remnants of this poison we still see in society today which has not yet progressed beyond the point where bigotry and prejudice doesn't remain... we see it every time the American evangelicals fly to Uganda to set up laws to kill gays now that they can't do it in USA, we see it when the conservative idiots in Russia speak of burning people in ovens, we see it when Taliban buries people alive.... I do not understand for one second how people can remain apathetic of that. The sooner this pollution can vanish from the surface of the Earth the better.

matty406

• HAIL TO THE ALMIGHTY LOAF
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:57 AM »
Holy books have been re-written over and over again and it's very possible the writers slipped in their own prejudices, that accumulated over centuries.
The point of Christianity was "be good to others and you will be rewarded when you die", and religion is so strong i wouldn't be surprised if people hundreds of years ago warped and used it as a controlling tool.

Point is take the scripts with a grain of salt and not as a solid resource for either side of the argument, they're probably like a written version of chinese whispers

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Holy books have been re-written over and over again and it's very possible the writers slipped in their own prejudices, that accumulated over centuries.
Even if that's true, we should take them for what they are - the versions people cling to today, not what they "should have been". The ancient versions that no longer exist and nobody believes in are irrelevant today.

The point of Christianity was "be good to others and you will be rewarded when you die", and religion is so strong i wouldn't be surprised if people hundreds of years ago warped and used it as a controlling tool.
Based on what do you say that is the whole point of Christianity? If the original versions had been lost, how can you say what the original versions meant to say?
Christianity is based on a book with hundreds of pages, many of which up and down are filled with barbaric moral commandments. Many of the commandments in it contradict other parts, and I'm not just speaking Old-New Testament, the NT has its bad sides too.
In any case the Bible that christians believe in today which has actual relevance to the world and actually affects it IS a controlling tool - it contains morbid ideas telling people to kill innocent people.

Point is take the scripts with a grain of salt and not as a solid resource for either side of the argument, they're probably like a written version of chinese whispers
They're not a solid source of anything. Neither morals nor truth. That is why it is extremely dangerous when people take them seriously and think they are.

tuto99

• Become a Tutonian today!
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »
I've never experienced people looking down on me for my atheism like that in Denmark. Even though there are occasional cases of religious idiocy and all that, but luckily not to the extent it seems like in USA.

Most people here seem mostly apathetic about it. Too apathetic I would say. Too many seem so apathetic about it that they don't mind the fact that the church still receives millions of DKK from the state every year from taxes and the duties they have, such as registering births, that really should be state duties. I think the biggest problem here is that the broad population has so little interest in it that they have no clue they're atheist but think that being atheist means being strongly antireligious. And then again I have read plenty of people on Danish internet forums who go about saying "atheists are just as bad as religious extremists" "science doesn't have all the answers so it's really as bad as religion" and all that nonsense.

How sad that we as a society still hasn't managed to progress beyond such stupidity. It is a disgrace.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Denmark is different from the United States. There are people who are assholes and/or idiots here, and all I can do is get used to it. I may have made it sound like a big deal when it's not, but it's something that just bothers me sometimes. Unnecessary stress ;_;

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »

Darvince

• Wacky instant inflatable super fun balls
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2014, 05:24:34 PM »
kol I'm laughing so much

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2014, 07:14:10 AM »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:19:15 AM by Bla »

Darvince

« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »
mfw Hagee is an intolerant dunce and my parents and grandparent love his services /s

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
A good discussion of the absolute "morality" of christianity.

Christian Apologetics: Hitler can't help you.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »

TheMooCows

• Why should I have to trust humans?
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »
"the biggest piece of evidence supporting creationism imo is that oranges are pre-sliced" hmm true

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2014, 03:22:36 AM »
Well that's still a more convincing argument than the modern cultivated bananas fitting so very perfectly and smoothly into our mouth.

In other news, Saudi Arabia has now officially decided that all atheists are terrorists.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/02/atheists-classified-terrorists-new-saudi-arabian-laws_n_5075129.html

Darvince

« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
Well that's still a more convincing argument than the modern cultivated bananas fitting so very perfectly and smoothly into our mouth.

just like a pēnis

atomic7732

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • like fireworks, I saw the lights
    • PegasiProgramming
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
i thought it was fit into the hand

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »

matty406

• HAIL TO THE ALMIGHTY LOAF

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2014, 05:26:39 PM »
Kol that article is hilarious. Awesome. :P

bong

• Where's CyclonePoster?
« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
i feel bad for peopl who are forced to be religious

Xriqxa

• I see you!
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »
I'm really proud of everyone for having such a civil conversation about a potentially contentious topic.

Thanks!

I was scared to open this topic. I thought I was about to peek into an inter-universal war.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
While working on a project in college, someone from our group was browsing atheist memes during a break, kol.
Recently, one of the memes I saw came to mind.