Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: small items and big surface effect  (Read 2670 times)

tantalu

small items and big surface effect
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:07:55 AM »
how come there is such a large surface effect when launching small objects towards planet surfaces?
example
the right impact area was from a less than 3 cm pool ball launched at 5 km/h, the left one from a tiny dice.

why are there so many small human objects available anyway?

Minhoca

Re: small items and big surface effect
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:18:21 AM »
I think it's because when these objects enter the atmosphere they get so much velocity that they are able to make a mass destruction. Since the balls in Universe Sandbox 2 are undestructible(or almost), they don't vaporate mid-air and then they do this. In real-life the ball would be destroyed 0.1 secs(or less) after it gone to space.

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
I think it's because when these objects enter the atmosphere they get so much velocity that they are able to make a mass destruction. Since the balls in Universe Sandbox 2 are undestructible(or almost), they don't vaporate mid-air and then they do this. In real-life the ball would be destroyed 0.1 secs(or less) after it gone to space.
This statement is true, but the impact should not create a crater as large as the example provided. For that to happen, the ball would have to be travelling ridiculously fast—faster than virtually all asteroids and objects around the solar system, and that is ignoring the effects of the atmosphere. It is an exaggeration in-game.

Minhoca

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »
Makes sense. I don't remember balls doing so much destruction like this, i am going to test it out.