Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ficvision thread for the fics only ayyy  (Read 2360 times)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
ficvision thread for the fics only ayyy
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:07:19 AM »
ok submission from tuto

"oh shit" he saids.
"what?" she saids"
idk, like i forgot something i think" he said. He was a very mad at the time.
"okay, where's your donger?"' she laughed.
It was only in thsi moment that

"ok, so i guess i left it at the station, maybe its still there."
So He went to the station, but no donger was there. UNTIL>>>>>>
"hello daddy," said jimy nutron.
"oh no not thsi agian" He saids.
"what, daddy? It's me, your sun. Jimy Nutron?" Jim responded.
He already remembered what happened last year... when that video came out.
"Jimy, i dont want to be near you ever again. Plz spare me my sanity units."
"but daddy, the pizza was a joke."
"no it wasnt. taht video was real like 10/10 real. Please I dont want to talk about it."
"but Daddy, it was only a dream I had"
"No it was as real as dragon"
"Ok Daddy."
"DONT SAY IT LIKE THAT"
He ran away to a nearby forest. There, it quickly got cold and he became slightly sick.
He called his wife to tell her of the news. It was big shit.
"Mrs. Wife?"He said.
"Hello, is this Mr. Husband?"
"Yes, it's me Mr. Husband."
"Hello, mr. husbo"
"McWife, i need to tell you something now."
"what is it?"
"i found my son again i think he has my donger."
"fucc"
"ikr"
"lol kk"
"ayy lmao"
"kolok allahu ackbar"
"lmfao rofl"
"k srsly he has it tho"
"oh ok"
"what are you gonna do!?!"
"idk bb"
"im not bb im Mr. Husband"
"oh right sorry"
"its ok"
"ok"
"ok"
"k"
"k...."
He hung up. It was that time of the day where had to to his daily yelling. It didn't matter where he was, or what situation he was in, he had to yell...

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mr. Husband went back, to the, city. He fell asleep at a bus station, on the bench. Until Next Time, Stay COol and dont forget your dongers!?"

submission from floenne
NOTES
The magic system that permeates this reality is generally considered to have three main components: A physical manifestation, an environmental manifestation and a macaroni manifestation.

*Mana*, also known as rvezi, ìette, or greg depending on the language that one speaks, flows around in one’s circulatory system and fights foreign mana that tries to get into one’s body. It also attaches itself to one’s muscles in case one needs to jump several meters or use one’s arm as a magical firehose.

This mana also flows around one’s body, outside in one’s own personal cloud. This cloud, usually invisible and inert, generally extends a foot or two away from one’s body. It has the capability to create a lot of drag, and evaporate fast, small objects such as bullets and turn them into usable mana. One of the major fields of study is based around this simple question: “How can one throw a projectile that maximises damage without getting burnt up, and how can one minimize the speed necessary to burn up an object?”

The clouds also have social effects. When two people interact on a friendly basis, their clouds are rendered almost entirely inert. However, when two people with distruct interact, their clouds might slightly permeate the air around them, creating a faint static that can literally envelop the entire room.

Though this static is harmless, it can manifest itself in more violent ways: if one feels sufficiently threatened or angry, they can send wisps of their cloud out at anything standing right next to them. One can even “arm” their cloud and turn it into a brilliant, glowing mist that is like walking into thick smoke for anyone else. However, this is considered to be an **extremely** rude thing to do, and could land oneself in jail overnight.

However, if the point of no return is reached and two glowing clouds begin to interact, huge amounts of heat and sparks are usually cast off of the border between the two clouds as they mix and fight. In rare cases, it may turn out that the two antagonists have synchronized clouds, which are inert to each other and cause them to be unable to utilize environmental mana to fight against each other.

In fact, mages with synchronized clouds can freely transfer mana between each other. Synchronized mages often team up with each other to form powerful mercenary groups. A common test to figure out if two people are synchronized is to arm the cloud around one’s index finger and try to touch the other person’s index finger.

http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=TzxpPAwusG0#Inverness_%26_So_Sus_-_Infinite_Soju if you're feeling we-might-prevail-over-the-darkness or optionally http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=yT3Jwdt967M#Most_Emotional_Music_Ever%3A__Cry__by_Thomas_Bergersen if you're feeling more this-is-the-end-of-days-and-humanity-is-fucked

The panic of a dozen footsteps thundered its way across the forty meter dock, suspended a thousand feet above the smoke and fire that enveloped the city below. Close behind, scores of the undead poured out of the tower door, a tsunami that overflowed the railings of the dock and sent many plummeting to their second death.

The fire mage hastened a series of signals with her trembling right hand, and stopped midway across the dock. The cloaked mage rushed up to her, and they ignited a stream of turquoise mana between their gloves. The rest of the crew scrambled into the anchored airship and cut it loose with a reckless blast. The blonde mage and her damaged golem bolted to the helm, while the engineer threw open door after door, sprinting down the hall in search of the engine room and yelling at the rest of the crew to keep the tide at bay.

Having linked her cloud with the cloaked mage’s, the fire mage took both of her hands and rubbed them together, enveloping her gloves in a green fury. She drew her sabre; it casted off sparks and then glowed a brilliant orange. The cloaked mage clasped his hands together and then drew them apart, weaving a brilliant, electric web of blue mana. He casted it off of himself and into the approaching wave, slicing into many and incapacitating others. An undead jumped off of his dead-again companions, flying through the air and lunging at the fire mage. She sliced her sword through the air, creating an electric crescent of mana that decapitated the assailant. Together, the two of them threw volley after volley of electric mana at the horde, retreating in lockstep with their glacial advance across the dock. One hit, be it a scratch on their bare skin or a pelt of acid to their face, and they would contract the infection. Their cloud was holding strong, evaporating all incoming projectiles into usable mana, but the horde could not be stopped, only slowed.

Impatient vibrations hurried throughout the ship, and the two mages gritted their teeth: the engine was missing a critical part. It would take a few minutes for the engineer to print it, but the horde was two thirds of the way across the deck already and climbing higher with each passing moment; groups of the undead now flooded over the mountain of their vanquished brethren, jumping like fleas above the two mages. It would take a trio to have a chance at stopping the deluge.

The blonde mage emerged from the helm just in time to catch two undead who had managed to jump onto the airship. She dispatched them with a blinding flash of light, and they collapsed onto the deck. Her blonde pigtails shimmered behind her as she sprinted to the ship’s railing, accreting orbs of lightgel in her mana cloud. Several more undead jumped the ten meter gap to the airship, but she shot her lightgel at them and recoiled to the other edge of the ship. The orbs impacted their bodies and robbed them of their forward momentum, and they fell downwards into the smoke below. She picked up the vibrations that the cloaked mage signed, and raced once more towards the other end of the ship, preparing single, massive globe of lightgel on top of the railing. The two mages on the dock jumped backwards, the cloaked mage stringing the railings of the dock with wires of mana that sliced in half the approaching horde. The cloaked mage landed in the opening to the airship, while the fire mage landed on top of an opened gun-port on his left.

On cue, the blonde mage shot her sphere towards where the two mages had been earlier, recoiling at tens of meters per second towards the other end of the ship. She discarded an entire third of her mana cloud behind her to slow her down, and she bumped into the other railing without injury. The unstoppable golden orb of lightgel met the advance of the horde and smashed the entire line to bits, rolling up the mountain and reaching perfect balance at its tip. The three mages waited with bated breath, and watched with rekindled terror as the horde overcame the sphere and avalanched over the pile of their comrades. In the blink of an eye, the fire mage’s cloud turned a brilliant, pulsating green and she threw herself off the gunport and onto the railings of the dock. She swung her sword at the nearest horde member, but one of them phased in and out of reality, dodging her attack and lunging at her legs. Her eyes widened, and she jumped two meters backwards onto the side of the ship, and then swung her sword at the assailant once more, throwing a crescent of crackling electricity that caused it to convulse on the ground. She jumped back onto the dock, but miscalculated and landed with her back against the horde. Seeing the opportunity, several of the undead lunged towards her, one managing to grab ahold of the rucksack on her back. She yelped, and tried to jump back to the ship but the added weight caused her to hop onto the very edge of the dock. The cloaked mage jumped towards her and thrusted a spear into the creature, causing it to lose grip and allowing the fire mage to jump back onto the gunport. But the airship vibrated with glee, and smoke bellowed from its rear. It jerked several feet away from the edge of the dock, causing the fire mage to miss the gun port and fall below the airship.

The fire mage twisted around, and her cloud screamed with the dying fury of an immortal man. Time dilated to a crawl around her, and she gazed below at the burning metropolis, and to her sides in search of escape. She spotted another dock about a dozen meters below the airship’s, and ejected a third of her cloud to boost her in that direction. She tumbled onto the dock, rolling forwards until she came to her feet. She signed with her hands in a furious debate with the golem, not willing to be left behind in the burning metropolis. The undead, meanwhile, jumped off the deck and rained onto hers, and she had to force them away with electric blasts from her sabre. The airship groaned, and started its descent towards her platform. The cloaked mage jumped up onto the deck of the ship, and the engineer emerged from the cabin, sword in hand. The three of them coupled up and formed a triangle of streams, merging their clouds into one that deflected all but the slowest of projectiles. As the ship lowered, the undead found it easier and easier to leap onto the deck of the ship. And though most were repelled mid-air, and others electrocuted upon landing, some still managed to hit the deck and attack the trio. They cautiously danced their way around the deck in utmost concentration, moving in perfect rhythm and queueing their attacks in a flawless order to keep the majority of the horde off of the ship. By now, smoke had risen and begun to obscure the airship. One by one, their eyes imprinted themselves with a swirly glow, and they now saw not light but mana itself. This new, neon battlefield was much like an infrared sensor, and allowed them to accurately target the undead through the smoke.

The fire mage backed up to the foot of the dock, contemplating how to jump onto it. She’d have one shot, and if she failed then she’d be sent a thousand feet into the hellscape below, the crucial documents in her rucksack burnt to a crisp. She pondered for a moment. They were more important than she was; her survival was optional. Now, with the deck of the ship level with the dock, she tumbled. Jump, twist, steep lean. Higher jump, longer twist, steeper lean. Tall jump, backwards twist, lean. She flew off the edge of the dock and into the air. Her shoulders bent inwards and the rucksack slipped off of her back. She threw it towards the ship, aiming for the deck. It hit the railing and teetered for a moment, but fell down the side of the ship. Screaming, she took out her sabre and ejected most of her cloud to send her careening into the side of the ship. Her sword dug itself deeply into the hull, and she swung her body towards the falling rucksack, grabbing it with her boot and leaving the strap hanging precariously off of her toe. A scroll fell out of the sack; she hoped it wasn’t important.She bent her knees and flicked the rucksack off of her foot, catching it on her free arm and slipping it back onto her shoulders. Hanging by the edge of her sword a thousand feet in the air, she chastised herself for being so stupid. She used her free hand to signal to the golem, and the ship accelerated away from the dock. The sword would hold for a while, but her grip wouldn’t: her entire body was tingling and aching from the overuse of mana, and her vision was losing clarity. She watched as dozens of undead leapt from the edge of the dock. Most missed the ship, falling short of the deck or slamming right into the side. But one had a peculiar arc that seemed as if it was aimed directly at her. She gritted her teeth, and swung away from it. But it was able to dispatch its cloud to grab her boot, which it attempted to climb to reach her exposed skin.

She furrowed her eyebrows and kicked furiously, but its grip dug into her boot and pierced its top. She bashed its head with her other foot, but it caught onto the toe with its jaw and began shook it with furious temper. Taking one of her hands off of the hilt, she reached to her hip and procured a knife, which she threw at the undead. It screamed, releasing its hold on her boot, and she took the opportunity to kick it off of her other foot, expelling the foul creature from her feet and sending it spiraling down below. They were a good distance from the dock now, and the undead had stopped jumping onto the ship.

Revai heard someone scream her name. She looked up to the railing of the airship, and saw the cloaked mage smiling. She yelled at him, asking for some way out of her predicament. He nodded, and called the engineer over. They studied her for a minute, discussing what to do. The engineer signed with his hands, vibrating a wave of instructions through the ship, and a gun port popped open near Revai. Her grip having almost failed her, she gave one last swing and swung her leg into the opening. She saw the shadow of the medic, and a white glow illuminated both of them as he grabbed her and pulled her in.

The airship flew above the burning metropolis, a lone sword punctured in its side. They had been planning this extraction for years, and despite an unexpected apocalypse, they were able to succeed in their goal of locating the plans for a realmgate. But this was only the beginning of yet another journey, one that would prove to be much more testing.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: ficvision thread for the fics only ayyy
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:07:30 AM »
submission from floenne v2
um i don't exist yet...

submission from syule
By the time Iezikol left the laboratory, the sky was a deep shade of blue. He walked down four flights of stairs, across a pedestrian bridge crossing a stream of cars and busses, down another two flights of stairs, and into a dimly lit atrium. At the japanese stall, he ordered stir-fried noodles with fish and eggs on the side. Then he sat down at one of the tables in the nearly deserted atrium to eat. But he had only barely begun when someone tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

"Hello Bla", said Iezikol. Bla sat down. Bla dropped a small, dull colored cube onto the table without a word.
"What's this?", Iezikol asked.
"I am not very sure", said Bla. "However, I know that this changes everything"
"Everything." Iezikol mouthed slowly
"Everything", Bla confirmed.
"Well, there is just one problem", Iezikol said.
"That is?"
"I don't understand what you are talking about"
"Let's both go to the talk in room 437 right now. I know it will clear everything up", said Bla.
"But I just started eating", Iezikol complained.
Bla picked up a fork, "I will help", he said, and started eating Iezikol's food.

Iezikol followed Bla through the winding corridors. They were all the same -- grey carpeting, white walls, bright flourescent lights, closed doors every few meters. At seeminly random points, another corridor would branch off the side into the distance. The only noise was a muted mechanical hum, and the soft pad of shoes on the carpet. Then they arrived in a small office room, with four other people crammed in.

"This is Iezikol", Bla said to the woman who was standing up.
"Ok", said the woman to Iezikol. "I'm Rod. Anyway, that does not matter. We are talking about the machine hallucinations here. Do you know?" (*1)
"Yes, I know", said Iezikol. Iezikol knew because he had been studying machine hallucinations himself. Most of the advanced algorithms he was working on had exhibited this property, where a grotesquely warped hallucination of the input data would be computed as a side-effect while the algorithm went about its task. For example, an algorithm taught to detect faces might start hallucinating the faces of people it had never seen before. Of course, one would never know such a hallucination existed, unless one was curious enough to explicitly extract it while the computation was happening. It was a strange quirk, but not something that was particularly important.
"Good", said Rod. "Then Darvince will tell you about Dreamer".

Darvince, who was sitting in the corner of the room, sat up a bit straighter. "So I was working on a side-project for fun recently... I thought it would be fun to play around with these hallucinations, so I set up a chain of computational cortices. I have the first cortex come up with a hallucination, and then pass that to the second cortex, which constructs a second-order hallucination from the first-order hallucinations that it recieves, and so on."
"Basically, it is just nesting these hallucinations deeper and deeper", said Rod.

"Yes, that's right, but I also set up a second chain of cortices, which just recurrently refine the deepest hallucination", said Darvince.
"What do you mean by refine?", asked Iezikol.
"Think of it as sharpening the hallucinations to make them clearer and more concrete", said Darvince. "That's what we did at first, but then Syule had another idea". Darvince looked over at Syule

"We also developed some discriminators", said Syule. "These discriminators are quite powerful, and they can determine if something is real, or if it is a hallucination. At first, they were able to tell the difference between reality and hallucination about 99 times out of a hundred. But then we used some mathematics to tweak the hallucinators. It turns out that you can compute how to tweak the hallucinators in the direction which makes it harder for the discriminator to tell the difference between what's real and what's not. (*2)

"Yes, yes", said Rod. "Of course, this is excellent for our robotics projects. Data is very scarce, too scarce to teach robots anything at all. So what do we do? We just hallucinate everything we need. It's the perfect solution, I know it will make everything so much easier now. This is excellent." (*3)

"So I did that last week, like you told me to try", said Bla. "I started teaching the robots to work, with these hallucinated data. But of course, real data is always higher quality, it's always better, just hard to obtain."
"Yes, too expensive", Rod interjected.
"But just two days ago, a team in Grenoble published a new dataset", said Bla. "It is quite high quality, and I wanted to use it. But I had to come up with a way of distinguishing the real data with the hallucinated data, or else after you give it to the robot, and it does whatever it wants to with the data, you don't know what is what anymore. Then you don't know if the hallucinations were any good."

"So I had the idea to insert some transformation-invariant marker on the hallucination data", said Darvince. "Sort of like watermarking an image. I just placed a small, rigid cube in each hallucination to mark it as fake data."
"I got up today at 4", said Bla. "I was the first person in the lab. Lying in the middle of the floor was this cube". He held the cube up between two fingers.
Then he let go.
The cube stayed in the air.
"Since it was important to distinguish the marker cube from other cubes possibly in the data", said Darvince, "I made the marker cube exempt from gravity. So... it does that."

Several hours later, Iezikol left the building. He made a call to his old friend, Swonx. Then he got on a nearly empty bus, and took a short nap. He got off at Noro Hills, and stepped inside a shopping mall. A few minutes later, Swonx arrived.

"Long time no see", she said. Iezikol nodded, then blushed.
"C-Can I hold your hand?", he asked.
"That's pretty lewd", Swonx said, smirking, and grabbed Iezikol's hand.

They went shopping for stationery. Swonx bought some thick, creamy, high-quality paper. "It's quite hard to find good paper like this", she commented. Iezikol bought a pen sharpener.
"I didn't even know pens could be sharpened", he said, walking out of the shop. "They can't", said Swonx, "but that's ok, it'll look good sitting on your desk."

Then they went back to Swonx's apartment. Iezikol slumped on the sofa, in a semi-catatonic state. Swonx picked up and set down the pen sharpener a few times, then started sketching it on the paper she had just bought. Then she brought out two glasses of wine. A couple hours passed, Iezikol staring at the ceiling, the light scratching of Swonx's pencil against paper.
"You're quiet today", she commented.
"Do you think... everything is just a dream?", Iezikol blurted out. "I don't know if that makes any sense"
"Yeah, I think that makes sense", Swonx said. She didn't think that made any sense at all. "But you should go to bed."

Iezikol went to bed (*4)

(*1) These machine hallucinations are actually kind of a thing in real life. They are more often called mental hallucinations.
(*2) This idea of having discriminators, and tweaking the hallucinators to fool the discriminators is known under the name "Generative Adversarial Networks" in real life.
(*3) Well in real life we don't bother with hallucinations we just train self-driving cars with simulations like GTAV (no, I am not joking here!)
(*4) What stop looking at me I got tired of writing this mess of a story.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:11:33 AM by vh »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:07:42 AM »
yeah i had to do 2 posts cause character limit

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 02:10:04 AM »
everyone can vote. you can distribute 1 point across all submissions however you want
vote by posting in this topic with your scores
heres the thing if you agree to be responsible for tallying up all the votes you get to vote with 2 points instead of 1
deadline is feb 22

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
I give 0.1 points to Tutofic and Fiahfic v1 each and 0.8 points to Syulefic

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 12:48:32 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '178969'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:27:23 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »
If we ever have a kolkon, I'll make the winner a nice dish of oats with milk

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 01:47:38 AM »
there it is

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 12:02:11 PM »
If we ever have a kolkon, I'll make the winner a nice dish of oats with milk
delicious

FiahOwl

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '178975'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:27:21 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »
but can you vote for yourself

FiahOwl

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '178978'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:27:18 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »
what's stopping people from giving themselves 1 point and being done with it

and you giving 1.35 to yourself is hilarious because even if someone did just give themselves 1 point they have no chance of offsetting your vote to your own fic

FiahOwl

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '178982'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:27:15 AM by FiahOwl »