Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Barycenters and other questions  (Read 2298 times)

emarksmi

Barycenters and other questions
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »
Universe Sandbox is fantastic.  So many ways to play around with what if's.  Playing around for a couple of days, I do have some questions:

1.  Is there some way to have the simulation to display the barycenter of a system?  If so, can you anchor the viewpoint to the barycenter?

2.  Is there some way to make the simulations start paused so you can adjust various parameters of the simulation and objects prior to the simulation starting?

3.  Can you reset the running time standard?  For example, I'm currently running a "what if" using the full solar system simulation that loads when you load the program.  The timer starts from a date and then runs forward.  I'd rather have the timer running in simulation time starting from zero.  Can I do that?

The bottom line is that this program is fantastic.  I wish I'd found it years ago.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
Re: Barycenters and other questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Yes.
You should be able to select both objects by highlighting them both, and there should be an option bar. In it, it should say "add barycenter" somewhere.
I don't think so. But you can click on the sim you open and instantly tab the space bar to pause it as soon as it opens.
I don't think so.
Sorry.

Physics_Hacker

Re: Barycenters and other questions
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
1: Yes, just ctrl+drag over the objects you want to see the barycenter for, then click on one of the info tabs that appears on the side of the view, this will bring up the multiple bodies window and there's an option to show the barycenter there.

2: you can start premade simulations paused, and i think doing so will make your own saved simulations start paused,  though I'm not sure how reliable this is.

3: As far as I've seen, no, you can't reset the time or use another counting mechanism.