Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Customized Textures for US2?  (Read 3557 times)

HaitchCueZed

Customized Textures for US2?
« on: April 30, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »
Is there anyway to get customized textures for planets or asteroids in this game? And if so, how would that work?

Physics_Hacker

Re: Customized Textures for US2?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »
Is there anyway to get customized textures for planets or asteroids in this game? And if so, how would that work?

There is no way of doing this currently and is something I've been asking for for a very long time...

Phyics_Nerd

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 12:35:11 PM »
I got my idea for my username from you  ;D

Gregory

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
The "Random Planet/Moon/Small Moon" tool is a great way to look for bodies with custom textures, but the bodies like Ganymede, Callisto, Mimas, Dione, Tethys, Rhea, Titan, Iapetus and Triton need their own textures, based on NASA maps, the planets are done that way (though the gas giants need improvements in their textures).

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »
I got my idea for my username from you  ;D

Glad I inspired somebody  ;D

The "Random Planet/Moon/Small Moon" tool is a great way to look for bodies with custom textures, but the bodies like Ganymede, Callisto, Mimas, Dione, Tethys, Rhea, Titan, Iapetus and Triton need their own textures, based on NASA maps, the planets are done that way (though the gas giants need improvements in their textures).

This is true but I think it also would be nice to be able to use our own height/color maps on planets too, like we used to on Universe Sandbox Legacy:
See, back then, when a custom texture wasn't used, a default texture of the moon was used. Well, with our procedural textures nowdays, it could work the same way, except instead of defaulting to a moon texture, if a custom texture/heightmap isn't used, it could use this procedural textures instead. I don't see a problem with this method...

swanee

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:27:45 AM »
I used to use Fractal Terrains to generate custom worlds that could be packaged as VRML/JPEG/PNG's.  I'd love to be able to skin planets in Universe Sandbox with worlds I hand crafted, take screen shots, do a little processing in photoshop and blammo, graphic novel pane complete.  Like an astronomical poser pro.