Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Atmosphere Physics  (Read 4505 times)

CCalpha

Atmosphere Physics
« on: February 02, 2016, 12:32:11 AM »
A simple atmosphere system would be nice, When I send asteroids to earth that skim through the atmosphere with a periapsis at 10 Km high I'd like to see the atmosphere catch it and watch it as it impacts, burns up or skips out. At the moment you can put something in orbit a couple of meters off earth surface and it will act as though it were in a vacuum.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
Re: Atmosphere Physics
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:34 AM »
A simple atmosphere system would be nice, When I send asteroids to earth that skim through the atmosphere with a periapsis at 10 Km high I'd like to see the atmosphere catch it and watch it as it impacts, burns up or skips out. At the moment you can put something in orbit a couple of meters off earth surface and it will act as though it were in a vacuum.

That is certainly true and it is on the short term todo list. It has not been highly prioritized before because most of the play-time is on a scale where a 30 km atmosphere will not be very noticeable anyway, but, as you point out, there are certainly scenarios where it breaks the realism in an obvious way.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »

That is certainly true and it is on the short term todo list. It has not been highly prioritized before because most of the play-time is on a scale where a 30 km atmosphere will not be very noticeable anyway, but, as you point out, there are certainly scenarios where it breaks the realism in an obvious way.

How will SPH behave?

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 06:20:47 AM »
>How will SPH behave?

In an unrelated way. We have no plans to model a planetary atmosphere using SPH.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 02:50:23 PM »
Not for the atmosphere but for planets/stars.
But it would be nice to see the atmosphere of a planet get suck off the planet by a very close moon or by a large very fast passing planet.

Pizzaeater1K

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »
But it would be nice to see the atmosphere of a planet get suck off the planet by a very close moon or by a large very fast passing planet.
I agree. It would also be nice to watch the atmosphere get thicker in one spot or just rotate around the planet.

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »

Well, if a planet with an atmosphere was near a star, it would have it's atmosphere get blown off by solar winds, or be super heated.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »

Well, if a planet with an atmosphere was near a star, it would have it's atmosphere get blown off by solar winds, or be super heated.

Yes, that would be nice.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »
Doesn't that already happen?

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »
Doesn't that already happen?

No, water gets blown off and then closer the planet gets blown apart but no, atmosphere doesn't get blown off planets, currently.