Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any chance of allowing users to select their preferred standard unit of measure?  (Read 2083 times)

vmorgo

Any chance of allowing users to select their preferred distances/units of measures on an as-needed basis?

While it does make sense in some cases to have distances in meters, kilometers, etc, it makes the simulation somewhat harder to use, particularly when placing planets and stars when measures are "lunar distances", "suns", "moons", "Kilometers", etc. and these units of measures change in a seemingly more or less random manner.  For example, if I wish to place an object 0.8 AU from a star, I would prefer to be able to see the distance measured as 0.8 AU, not some number of millions of kilometers, especially given that if I move the object more than 1.0 AU from the star, the distance is suddenly converted to AU! 

I know it's a 'picky' thing, but being able to lock/standardize on one unit of measure and have the option of changing it when I want to, rather than on the basis of some algorithm deciding that some distance is "great enough to be measured in this particular unit" would be awfully nice.

It might make sense simply to enable/disable the automatic measurement conversion algorithm, and let users use it if they want to, but turn it off when it is NOT wanted, and allow the users to select the desired unit of measurement as they see fit at the given time.

Chris

• Developer
Wherever we display a value, we convert it to a unit that is more easily comprehensible than 135986875412km.
The conversion tries to find the unit that expresses the value in its shortest form.

Looks like we have a bit of improvement to do there :)

You can change the displayed unit by clicking the unit and selecting a different one from the dropdown.
From what you describe it sounds like this selection resets when you select a different object -
something i need to investigate and fix, because that's not intended.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:04:01 PM by Chris »