Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Create Proto Planetary Disk  (Read 7555 times)

Quizer9O8

Create Proto Planetary Disk
« on: September 16, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »
I'm recently trying to make a solar systems that looks like it just has been born out of a nebula cloud with spam clicking on add random moon, small random moon and random astroid. And if that isn't enough I have to change their composition one by one individually so the materials in my solar system will be spread evenly out.
It would be nice if you could select by add a ring the "Proto planetary disk" feature so it would save you and me some time instead of doing it all by hand.

Physics_Hacker

Re: Create Proto Planetary Disk
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
...That's what I do, but adding the asteroids only makes the simulation slower and doesn't really do much...

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »
I use just planets, asteroids are a pain to manipulate

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:42:59 PM »
Can you more clearly describe what you're imagining?

So... you want the ability to create rings of bodies to act like a Proto Planetary Disk?

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 10:05:58 PM »

So... you want the ability to create rings of bodies to act like a Proto Planetary Disk?
Maybe he's thinking of something like the "auto solar system" option from the old Universe Sandbox

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 05:58:44 AM »
*cough**cough* SPH *cough**cough*

Llez

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:14:50 AM »
I know what I'd like to see is some sort of particle/body ring that has some random gravity or placement that leads to such to it allowing the coalescing of random planets. I love the idea of the  randomness of such a thing and hope that it CAN be implemented. Also, yay first post  :P.

Arian

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 02:55:18 AM »
Well, you kinda can do this, but you have to deal with a lot of material not being used and "cluttering your universe". I recommend having the advanced powers menu open to "delete all escaping bodies" every now and then to keep it running smoothly.

On a new, paused sim:

1)  add a random planet (maybe 1 earth size)
2) add an "ordered disc" from the rings menu (0-100 radii, bodies instead of particles, repeat for the materials you want in the max radius giving you the per cent)
3) add another ring (0-3 radii, with bodies)
4) delete the initial planet
5) unpause
6) profit ??

Arian

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 01:35:31 AM »
When adding rings, make use of the advanced menu (the pen symbol on the selected ring type).

Select ordered disc and open the advanced settings.
Number of Bodies: 100 (experiment with that number for performance)
Bodies instead of Particles: ON
Mass=Parent/Count: ON
Color Mode: Manual (matter of taste)
Material: Silicate (other materials in other rings, to be added later)
Inner Radius: 0 (for other materials 0 to 3, try around for best results and fewest unused debris)
Outer Radius: 100 (for Silicate)
Radius Units: Radius
Motion: Auto Orbit
Velocity: up to experimentation (since the auto orbit will get lost pretty soon after unpausing with the center planet deleted)

The inner and outer radius define the range at which your materials will spawn, while the numerical range will define how concentrated the materials are. (higher concentrations = higher likeliness of collisions and "bodybuilding", but also less likeliness of materials outside that range being used)
So far I got the best result with silicate spread across the whole width of the disc, iron at around 0-30 radii, water at 1-50, CO2 at 1-70 and organics at 0-100 again.

The sim will run considerably slow at first but speed will increase after enough collisions reduced the number of bodies. If you get too many small fragments that don't contribute to accretion, use the advanced powers menu to delete all fragments. But don't do that too soon, leave them a chance to return and hit the bodies that build up.
Once the sim runs fast enough to decide that too many bodies are escaping the accretion area you can use the "delete escaping bodies" power.

For performance reasons, disable labels and trails/orbits and everything that's not really needed.

Cypher_00

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:01:23 AM »
Thanks Arian I am going to try that tonight.

And yes Dan, It would be great if there was a default scenario or tool to quickly make a proto planetary disc.

Ever since I started playing Universe Sandbox 1 this is something I always wanted to be able to do.

Quizer9O8

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »

Yes i want rings of bodies and particle's acting in a way like a proto planetary disk does. The mass and particles should be spread equal (depending on body size, inner and outer radius) for a nice start. For example any gas particle would be placed within/outside the cold temperature region of the star. All other particles should placed in a logical way.

Something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoplanetary_disk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:42:12 AM by Quizer9O8 »