Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planet textures seem to mix with old ones  (Read 5382 times)

Arian

Planet textures seem to mix with old ones
« on: September 13, 2015, 03:54:05 AM »
Sorry, I don't really know how to describe it any better.
For some reason, my planets seem to have two textures. The older ones from previous releases as a blank and the new (btw awesome) ones.

The old textures appear to be cut out which creates a white silhouette where the land mass used to be.
First I thought this was a side effect of loading old saved objects but it also appears on planets "created" from objects of the default add list.
I posted a screenshot (actually two) of what I mean on steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517547426
Atmosphere and clouds kinda hide it to a degree but on the dark side of the planet it is clearly visible. I could imagine that the old textures have been removed but are still applied to new planets somehow because to me that looks exactly like a missing texture.

Cryo

Re: Planet textures seem to mix with old ones
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »
yeah I've seen this before, happens when ever you increases the amount of water on the planets surface....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:39:06 AM by Cryo »

Arian

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:29:30 AM »
Indeed, water causes the effect. I just tried with several random rocky planets and no matter whether I add water via slider or via power/materials, it always adds that empty texture and makes the water look pretty dull.
If you remove the water, the empty texture will go as well.
That's kinda annoying because the new height map textures are just awesome.
I wonder if an uninstall/clean install would fix that, because most people don't seem to have the issue.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
Interesting, I was able to reproduce it here. I'll make a bug card about it, and see if we can get it fixed in the future.

Arian

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
Thank you very much.
It really seems to be related to liquid surface water (at least it seems not visible while the water is frozen). Might be something in the water texture.
I uninstalled the application and did a clean install, but the visual glitch remains.
It strongly reflects the ambient light so if you decrease that, it becomes rather faint but still visible.

Edit: I need to correct myself. It does show with frozen water.
Also btw, planets still start with a temperature at absolute zero, but since the effective temperature is correct, that's not a big issue as long as Albedo doesn't change automatically.

Did I mention that I love you for making this simulator a real thing? If not, feel hugged, if I did, feel hugged anyway ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:55:18 AM by Arian »

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 03:37:33 PM »
Uh...this is a bit extreme on that bug O.O

Arian

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 12:54:02 AM »
Yeah and with certain backgrounds/ ambient light settings the shadowed side of each planet with water looks like that, resulting in a system that looks like copy/paste planets with strange ice formations.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 01:28:31 PM »
^ tis what happened to me....