Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bounce tool  (Read 3180 times)

dylan

bounce tool
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
Dan can you add the bounce tool from Universe sandbox to universe sandbox 2

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
Re: bounce tool
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »
It's been so long since I played US, what's the bounce tool do again?

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
It's been so long since I played US, what's the bounce tool do again?

Oh, I think I remember what it did. You could enable "Bounce Mode" for a simulation, thus making planets and moons rebound off each other, instead of fusing together. The first game had "Collision Mode" and "Bounce Mode."

In fact, I think that would be cool to have again. Planet, moon, and star interactions between each other are much more interesting in US2, so having bounce mode return would be a fun addition.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »
Yeah, I always liked firing mercuries onto the sun and watch as they bounced off each other, then set all the velocities to 0 and see them all "fall" onto one side of the sun XD And I think that'd look even cooler on US2

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »
that would be useful for the dice, which fuse together when they touch. Same applies to the teapot and pool balls

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »
Yeah, I always liked firing mercuries onto the sun and watch as they bounced off each other, then set all the velocities to 0 and see them all "fall" onto one side of the sun XD And I think that'd look even cooler on US2
I do that with Earths on a Jupiter lol

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 01:26:40 AM »
Dan can you add the bounce tool from Universe sandbox to universe sandbox 2

That is actually under consideration. As others have mentioned, the planetary collision mode makes very little sense for anything but the largest objects. The reason "bounce" was there before, and is not now, is that the previous version used a third party physics engine which was actually _only_ supporting small scale collisions, whereas currently it is a custom engine, we built ourselves, which only supports the large scale.

Point being: we are seriously planning on implementing "bounce mode", but it is a different beast entirely, and it will likely not happen right away.