Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greenhouse effects for gases other than CO2 (alpha 14)  (Read 1989 times)

Chaou

Greenhouse effects for gases other than CO2 (alpha 14)
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
One of the problem currently in alpha 14 is that the greenhouse effect in the climate tab is not always accurate, often it does not seem to update when new information is given. There's also the problem of the greenhouse effect only accounting for CO2 and not other gases.
I've found a work around for this however. For example, if you want to find the greenhouse effect of an atmosphere with 5.12 atm and a composition of 73% methane, the following steps are useful.

1. Bring the GT C and CO2 percentage down to zero, this will give you the temperature without any greenhouse effect, write down this number.

2. Begin with the GT C of earth's atmosphere, which is 748, then put the atm to the desired amount, in this case 5.12 atm, and the percentage of the desired composition, in this case 73%. You can stop here and record the temperature change your only interested in the greenhouse affects of CO2 and not some other gas.

3. Take the GT C of the above result and times it by the greenhouse warming potential of the gas you are looking for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global-warming_potential
This will give you the GT C that you are looking for, it will often be over 100% of the composition, forcing you to put a lower GT C, we will fix that in a minute.

4. Put the atm to some arbitrary high amount, this will allow you to put the GT C you found in 3. Wait until the surface temperature updates, the difference between that number and the number you got at the beginning in 1. is the greenhouse effect.

5. Make sure you haven't adjusted the albedo or obit while doing this, it can make your result inaccurate. It can take awhile for the temperature to update as well.

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
Re: Greenhouse effects for gases other than CO2 (alpha 14)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
Im the kind of guy to fiddles with the numbers until I get a temp I like.  Im not the kind of guy who actually does any work at all ever.  You know...  But anyway, this might be useful sometime.  I was using a different method (PP/MOL- Gt of Hydrogen, in addition to the already working Gt Carbon when I presented US2 Alpha 14 in the Junior Space Design Competition to my team just cause... They need to get the game or else.