Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Video Tutorial - Binary Star Systems in Universe Sandbox  (Read 24719 times)

Joshimitsu91

• Hit me up on Steam: "Joshimitsu91"
Video Tutorial - Binary Star Systems in Universe Sandbox
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
Here is my video tutorial on the basics of Binary Star Systems in Universe sandbox. The tutorial will teach you how to make binary stars, add planets and make the binary star orbits elliptical.

This video was designed to help new users, as lots of people have been asking how to make binary stars etc. on the forums. I hope this helps some people out.

Here is the video:

Universe Sandbox - Video Tutorial - Binary Systems

Please watch in 720p HD for best quality! There is no music as i didn't want to breach copyright. The video was filmed and edited by me (Joshimitsu91). Thanks to NeutronStar for his post about binary stars which helped me to learn how to do them.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:31:51 PM by Joshimitsu91 »

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: Video Tutorial - Binary Star Systems in Universe Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
This is very helpful to people who need help on creating their binary stars system.

imo this should be up in the videos page.

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:23 AM »
Thank you :) I'll just have to wait and see what Dan thinks i guess. I hope it can be helpful to some people anyway :)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
This should be on the wiki...

Btw I posted a few comments, I'm "alphatelescopii".
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:43:59 AM by NeutronStar »

Stevodoran

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Great Video man!!   8) Keep em cumin!

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
Really great. Nice work.

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »
Thanks guys! I might make some more tutorials if i find anything that is frequently asked about (and that i understand! :P).

Btw I posted a few comments, I'm "alphatelescopii".

I've replied on youtube since you pointed that out. It seems to be a glitch, i should probably point it out to Dan when i get a minute, might be an easy fix.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »
Yeah... when you select things with the box tool it will de-select objects that are already selected. I should probably not do it that way. I think it's confusing for many people.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »
And I just added a mod that allows users to embed YouTube and other videos in the forum.

Just paste the http link into a message and it will automatically show up. :)

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
Thanks thats a big help! :) It's worth noting that although it appears to have de-selected them it still says that all the bodies are selected.

Josh

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
Good catch. Yeah... that's a bug. It's miscounting the barycenter or something. I'll fix it eventually. Thanks!

Ramierez

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »
I actually like the fact that it deselects an already selected object.  As an example..

If you shoot a body at the Earth and then explode it into 500 pieces a bit before it impacts, you get a massive cloud of objects chasing the Earth (and passing)  If you wanted to say, force them into orbits with the Earth as a group, it's easier to have Earth already selected and then drag a box around the debris than it is to select them all at once and then zoom way in to try and deselect Earth. (plus using CTRL+Click is not going to be as obvious to some to + or - a selection group)

Stevodoran

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »
And I just added a mod that allows users to embed YouTube and other videos in the forum.

Just paste the http link into a message and it will automatically show up. :)

Nice one Dan!

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
I actually like the fact that it deselects an already selected object.

I'll preserve the ability to do this, but you may have to hold the Shift or Ctrl key in the future. The current method of selection is not how other programs work and it's confusing.

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »
If anyone thinks of any ideas for tutorials let me know, i'll do them if i have the time :) I'll probably do them in 1080p aswell... might redo this one if i get the time too.

I'll preserve the ability to do this, but you may have to hold the Shift or Ctrl key in the future. The current method of selection is not how other programs work and it's confusing.

Good idea, i like it!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:50:23 AM by Joshimitsu91 »

Deathzilla7

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »
Awesome! As soon as I get my key, I was planning to start a binary system.

Also, can you make trinary systems? Before my demo ran out, I tried with 3 Eta Carinae's. One of them always bounced out. Weird Physics, eh?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
If anyone thinks of any ideas for tutorials let me know, i'll do them if i have the time :)

A tutorial for adding your own custom textures and models would likely be quite useful.

Even just a tutorial for creating your own solar system would be helpful to those just starting out.

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
Also, can you make trinary systems?

Yes :) Some real systems have two close orbiting stars which both orbit with a star that is further away. It's probably possible to have a closer orbiting "trinary" system, i'll give it a try. You can definately have a symmetrical quad system, which is pretty cool.

adding your own custom textures and models would likely be quite useful.

Even just a tutorial for creating your own solar system would be helpful to those just starting out.

I will probably do these then sometime soon, and maybe start a thread for video (or all) tutorials? (Although the posts do tend to drop off the front page...) I will have to experiment with the first suggestion myself first though :)

I also plan to do them in 1080p and  with some audio (I'll have to check the youtube T&C's for music copyright since they are always changing them...). They will also be better edited, since i did the first one pretty quickly, i'll spend more time on future ones.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:42:50 PM by Joshimitsu91 »

Parfocal

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 05:09:59 AM »
Yes, most definitely helpful to me.  I couldn't find any mention of how to create binary systems, and manually created several on my own by creating a large star and a much smaller one, then almost matching the little ones' data to be within 99.999% of the bigger one's data, and it would work...sorta...after a fashion. But not very well. I could only get wobbly "half-sine" wave orbits. Maybe something like this could be included in a future update to US...?  The only reason I knew it was even possible was because there were some stellar (hehe) examples of fictitious systems included with the program, but I couldn't see how they were done.

Some of those pre-created systems didn't have anything labeled as 'Barycenters'. Is there a way to hide that label in my own creations?

Thanks for the tutorial, Joshimitsu91, and thanks to Dan for such a wonderful program!!!

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
Some of those pre-created systems didn't have anything labeled as 'Barycenters'. Is there a way to hide that label in my own creations?

You can select and delete the Barycenter object after you've used it or press "L" to turn off all labels. Does that help?

Thanks for the tutorial, Joshimitsu91, and thanks to Dan for such a wonderful program!!!

You're welcome!

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »

You're also welcome :) As Dan said, you can hide it, or i think you can rename it aswell.

Anyway, i've been busy at work recently and not had any time to make more tutorials :( Hopefully i will be free in September so i can make the other ones i wanted to :)

Parfocal

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
I'm looking forward to it.  One on how to set up binaries within binaries (or multiples...) would be very helpful.

Right now, I can't even get a "simple" binary setup where each of the two binaries are doubles themselves, so...it's a binary system where each binary is a binary.  I can't even do that yet.  Things keep wobbling all over the place and breaking loose from their orbits. Very frustrating. But I'll get it eventually, I hope.

Joshimitsu91

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
Things keep wobbling all over the place and breaking loose from their orbits. Very frustrating. But I'll get it eventually, I hope.

Might be due to the two binaries being too close together? Try making the distance between the two pairs 5x or so greater than the distance between two stars. I'll have a play with that when i next go on and see what i can come up with :)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 05:26:24 AM »
I'll add this into the space industries, but for now lets bump it.