Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Surface Grids & Lasers | Update 24  (Read 17080 times)

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Surface Grids & Lasers | Update 24
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:05:36 PM »
Surface Grids & Lasers are here!

Update 24 of Universe Sandbox is a huge update that adds new layers of detail to the simulation and new ways to experiment with planets, moons, and entire systems. And did we mention the lasers?

Learn more on our blog

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Re: Surface Grids & Lasers | Update 24
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »
Congratulations on the first release of surface grids. This new surface grids update is great, but there are lots and lots of bugs that other users reported that has not been fixed in the experimental build.

Please fix all the remaining bugs and unfinished features in the next release of surface grids. Don't forget to also add and implement new features that other users are requesting.

There is a crucial but important feature that is missing in surface grids. That is for stars, black holes, galaxies, asteroids and human objects to simulate surface grids. I have already requested for that update to be implemented in the next version of surface grids. Please do that.

As for the next DevLog, please tell us what your current develop plans are and what are your next goals on ground to cover for the next release of surface grids. I would like to know more on that.

A few DevLogs ago, you said that you were going to improve the visuals for gas giants, but you never released an update for gas giant visuals. Right now, gas giant bands look like noisy pixels rather than perfectly smooth rotating bands. As for the number of bands and gas giant band colors, I would like to see color options for gas giant bands too. There are so many users that requested the color options for customizing gas giant colors and bands.

Water levels on Earth are not still quite correct. Please fix them in the upcoming surface grids update.

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »
surface grids for black holes wouldn't make sense at all

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 08:51:14 PM »
They would make sense because black holes have a temperature. Stars, galaxies, asteroids and human objects also must have surface grids because they all have temperatures. Everything makes sense with temperature.

Lord DC

• Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 09:01:41 PM »
black holes have temperature sure but there isn't really anything you can do with a black hole that is
  • temperature since it will always absorb light therefore....

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 09:36:29 PM »
Yes, I know black holes always absorb light.

Lord DC

• Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
Then there is no need for a surface grid for them, unless you want to somehow change the surface of an infinite point.
Human objects and stars fair enough but galaxies wouldn't make sense either. Galaxies don't have surfaces. if you just want a graph of "average temperature of galaxy" that is way far off, unless you want to construct a manual galaxy with billions of stars

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 11:42:56 PM »
Galaxies have temperatures like stars, so it would make sense to have some kind of temperature grids feature for galaxies. The grids feature would work in a different way as to the current surface grids because galaxies don't have surfaces. Heat from stars spread very far into space, so you will need a specific temperature grids feature to simulate galaxy temperature.

Pizzaeater1K

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »
Black holes are singularities, and singular points as far as we can determine. A single point does not need surface grids, and there is no reason for black holes to have them. Galaxies do not need surface grids either. No reason, and would also be quite laggy. Yes, they have temperatures. That does not need we need to simulate surface grids for every single object in the game.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 01:43:32 AM »
I do believe that galaxies still needs surface grids because of their random temperature within it. From place to place in a galaxy, there are different temperature zones because of the stars within it.

False Anomaly

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »
Galaxies have temperatures like stars, so it would make sense to have some kind of temperature grids feature for galaxies. The grids feature would work in a different way as to the current surface grids because galaxies don't have surfaces. Heat from stars spread very far into space, so you will need a specific temperature grids feature to simulate galaxy temperature.
While we're at it, would you like a temperature graph for the empty regions of space? /s

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
Yes, that would be good to have a temperature graph of empty space for grids. That is a very good idea that I haven't though of. Since space does warm up due to the presence of heat from stars, it makes perfect sense to have a temperature graph feature for empty regions of space.

False Anomaly

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »
Yes, that would be good to have a temperature graph of empty space for grids. That is a very good idea that I haven't though of. Since space does warm up due to the presence of heat from stars, it makes perfect sense to have a temperature graph feature for empty regions of space.
/s marks sarcasm btw. But seriously, what would you use such a graph for? Well, you can't terraform space. Plus, you wouldn't get any interesting readings. Might as well just be laying a thermometer on a table.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm not sure, but developers would probably find a workaround for empty space grids.