What do you want to see in the next version?
Let us know!
Universe Sandbox ²
Legacy Phase 2
October 1, 2012 v1-2.2
- Requires fewer dependencies (making the first time install faster, smaller, and more robust).
- Added 'Venus Transit 2012' simulation.
- Universe Sandbox no longer requires .NET 4,
only .NET 2, which is included with Windows 7.
- Added 'Venus Transit 2012' simulation.
- Renamed Steam Version to Steam Edition.
- Added page for blocked external links.
- Removed multi-core option (it never worked).
- Fixed problem with loading v1 save files and xml files not inside of zip files.
- Fixed common crash when calculating surface temperature of a planet.
- Background automatically disabled when using the 3D Nvidia mode.
- Fixed spelling error in Horizon simulation.
- Changed code to use the largest run time value (either saved locally or found on Steam). This should fix a problem some users losing run time and run counts.
May 4, 2012 v1-2.1.6
- Universe Sandbox Premium is now DRM free;
no keys, no restrictions, although legacy v2 keys will still activate the free version.
- Added the 't2embed.dll' file to solve a frequently reported crash on startup problem.
- Fixed bug where pressing numbers while the color dialog was open would change simulation settings.
- Fixed problem with bad data being saved in the objects.xml file inside of .ubox files.
- Several minor spelling errors were fixed.
December 21, 2011 v1-2.1.5
- Linked the properties of luminosity and temperature with mass, diameter, and density.
- New achievement: The Answer.
- Luminosity, temperature, mass, diameter, and density now all respect the real world relationships with each other, as you change one the others now correctly update.
- The surface temperature of planets now considers all stars in the simulation (not just one).
- Surface temperature distance is now measured from the star surface to the planet surface.
- Added conversion to Fahrenheit in the planet surface temperature hover tip.
- Added a new achievement: The Answer.
(only in Steam version)
- Update to Rigel's temperature and size.
- Added a per run option to disable the warning if the dust multiplier is set too high or too low.
- Added background timer that will force exit Universe Sandbox if the exit routine hangs.
- Fixed crash that sometime occurs when hitting the middle mouse button when in accurate (RK4) mode.
December 17, 2011 v1-2.1.4
- Added new achievement and calculation of surface temperature model for the Earth.
- Added 'Snowball Earth' achievement
(only in Steam version)
- Added simple atmosphere model to calculate surface temperature of the Earth.
- Added a link on the New page to start empty simulations paused.
- Added a checkbox for showing Lagrange points of individual bodies.
- Added button to reset the clock to 0. Expand the Simulation panel to access it.
- Fixed problem with Shift+F triggering experimental rotating frame feature error when editing the name of a body.
- Fixed problem with Sun orbiting the wrong way around the galaxy.
- Fixed problem with Hide UI (Tab) not correctly fading out quick save, load, and full screen buttons.
June 30, 2011 v1-2.1.3
- Improved 3D stereoscopic options and features.
- Improved handling of custom 3D models (.3ds, .obj, .x).
- Added a "Black Hole" button.
- Added a Monolith object.
- Greatly improved 3D stereoscopic options:
- Added support for NVIDIA 3D.
- Added row and column options to 'Interleave'.
- Added 'Two Window' mode for dual monitors.
- Added Side by Side options with 3 variations.
- Added second mouse cursor for some modes.
- Added a convergence slider.
- Added a "Black Hole" button to instantly make any object into a black hole.
- Added a Monolith object.
- Now you can toggle fullscreen with the F11 key (same key as the major web browsers).
- Added automatic conversion utility to load 3DS and OBJ model files.
- Renamed 3D options for improved clarity: Anaglyph to Colored Glasses, DLP to Interleave, Cross Eye to Side by Side.
- Added reverse orbit checkbox to ring properties.
- Objects with the properties of a black hole are now automatically set to the color black.
- Changed habitable zone visual indicator from a torus to an inner and outer sphere.
- Added startup check to test for proper setup of the UBOX file association in the registry.
- Now calculating simulations extremes (largest, smallest) when simulation is paused.
- Improved clarity of text message when you make an object into a black hole.
- Improved relationship between object font size and object mass.
- Fixed startup crash if mouse wheel is disabled in options.
- Fixed problem with setting up the UBOX file associations.
- Fixed problem with 3DS files not loading.
- Fixed problem with objects reporting no rotation when creating geosynchronous rings.
- Fixed crash when deleting and adding rings.
- Fixed problem with rings not always rotating the correct direction around object.
- Added handler for crash when converting colors.
- Fixed common crash when using Auto Time Step and launching new bodies.
- Fixed problem with landing point triggering when focused on a small object after adding a larger object.
- Fixed problem with Auto Time Step not resetting on a simulation reload.
- Fixed problem with sending crash reports and not closing properly after some fatal startup errors.
May 6, 2011 v1-2.1.2
- Fixed two commonly reported crashes.
- Fixed common issues when adding new objects.
- Added additional checks in the debug version to record where invalid positions values are set (this was the cause of several bugs).
- Fixed crash when adding a new object and position initially reported is invalid.
- Fixed problem with adding objects after placing the first one on startup.
- Fixed problem with objects hovering above or below the base object when switching between add modes (launch, auto orbit, and velocity).
May 2, 2011 v1-2.1.1
- First update since the Steam launch. Includes several startup and crash fixes.
- Added better crash detection for the most common crashes. A future update will address the cause of these issues.
- Universe Sandbox now asks explicitly if you want to open the last saved or loaded simulation that caused a crash after it starts back up.
- Added a warning message if the dust multiplier is set too high or too low.
- Added code to better report on several errors that have been reported.
- Fixed crash on opening of WASP-12 & Hottest Known Planet simulation.
- Fixed problem with custom color of objects not saving and loading properly.
- Removed duplicate moon, Mimas, from list of moons.
- Fixed problem switching to foreground window of Universe Sandbox when trying to open another instance of the application.
- Fixed crash caused by adding geosynchronous rings to a body with no rotation.
April 29, 2011 v1-2.1
- Major improvement to save/load. Dust, trails, and additional settings are now saved.
- Major internal upgrade to allow for multi-core support in a future update.
- Public release of Universe Sandbox on Steam.
- Saved files now record all dust, all trail data, object rotations, and additional simulation settings.
- Object XML format has changed significantly, although the older file format is still supported.
- Simplified and prioritized the most visible controls in the Options panel (formerly the View panel).
- When the UI is hidden (toggle with the Tab key) clicking with either mouse button will show the UI.
- Taking a layered screenshot also take a standard and standard+UI screenshots.
- Added button on the Save and Open pages to open the folder where simulations are saved.
- The 'Our Solar System' simulation now includes a few hundred additional asteroids and Trans-Neptunian objects.
- Renamed 'View Controls' panel to 'Options'.
- Added a save icon to the quick toolbar in the upper right corner of the window.
- Click anywhere along the far right side of the screen to show or hide the menu.
- Minor change to how Options and the Menu are opened with the mouse. Added a gear icon for Options.
- Quick toolbar now accessible when menu is open.
- Added an 'Advanced Options' secion to the Options panel.
- Added labels for mass, diameter, and density.
- Added additional preset options for diameter and density.
- Pressing Enter in the save file name text box will save the file, you no longer also have to hit the save button.
- Save textbox now automatically focused when first shown.
- Tweaked what happens when pressing of a left or right arrow key when text is selected in a textbox.
- Revised the Camera Orbit, Forward & Back icons.
- Hid the menu/web browser icons for Refresh and Open in an External browser.
- Added mouse click total stat.
- Moved particle multiplier to the Options panel on the left side.
- Correction to credits page.
- Fixed problem with reporting errors data when creating geosynchronous rings.
- Fixed crash when pressing the 'Tidal Lock' button when object not in orbit of another.
- Fixed problem with sliders not responding to the first click after setting their value with a popup.
- Fixed problem with rotational period value not updating properly in combine mode.
- Fixed crash when drawing hover marks. If an error is detected the object in question is deleted.
- Fixed problem with objects being created twice when using orbit or launch tools.
- Fixed problem with ghost objects interacting in bounce mode.
February 18, 2011 v1-2.0.16
- A quick follow up to 2.0.15 to fix a problem with the menu appearing to shrink for some users.
- Added a "Focus On" button on the properties panel. This causes the camera to focus on the selected object.
- Each layer of a layered screenshot is now shown as it is captured and saved.
- Added the libnoise.xna library for generating textures.
- Improvements to handling restarts after a crash.
- Added better handing of problems when sending error reports. This should make sending reports more reliable.
- Fixed problem with menu appearing to shrink on some video cards.
February 16, 2011 v1-2.0.15
- Easily change the texture or model of any object with the updated properties panel.
- Support for reading the output files of Mercury, a professional, non-graphical gravity simulator.
- Add a button to create random textures.
- More fixes, more polish...
- Added a simulation of the newly discovered planets around Kepler-11. | blog post
- Created a fictional simulation of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol. | blog post
- Added textboxes to specify a custom texture or model for any object (and a button to open up the folder where you can add your own).
- Model textbox also supports 'teapot', 'box/cube', 'sphere/ball', and 'chip'.
- Added support for reading Mercury .aei files. Mercury is a gravity simulator developed by an Astronomer. Drag the folder or .aei files into the target in the File Tools window.
- Added axis attachment for objects. Check the 'Axis' box to turn on a visible axis for any object.
- Experimental button to create random planet textures.
- Click on an object to show the properties panel.
- Click on the Physical tab.
- Click on the 'Random' texture button to generate and save a texture.
- Added option to capture layered screenshots. The background, planets, object labels, and the UI are all saved as separate images with opacity for layering in image editing software.
- Check for Updates link no longer appears if you have the latest version.
- Added an 'Open Simulation Folder' button to the Save simulation panel.
- Moved the File Tools into a menu web page (instead of a separate mini-window).
- Added a Log file and Error viewer into the web page menu system.
- Added a drag area in the File Tools page to open XML files in notepad.
- Failed update checks no longer show a message box unless 'Check for Updates' was clicked. Failed updates now indicated by a warning icon.
- Automatically sets the lighting system to the version (old vs new) supported by your video card.
- Added the ability to adjust trail options and mathematical properties in the Free version.
- Rewrote code to clean up handling of web pages with integrated UI controls (like Open and Save)
- Menu now fades in on start up.
- Background opacity slider now fades background.
- Added support for <Settings>date=X to understand time values like 100 years or 10 seconds. Before it was either a date like 2010-01-01 or it started at 0 seconds.
- On a particularly bad crash (one without a Universe Sandbox crash dialog) you should now be able to close the 'Update' form that appears afterwards.
- Shortened the fade time of object labels when the mouse hovers over them (from 1.0 to 0.7).
- Added a 5 second time out for the update fix application that is automatically run when you use the Universe Sandbox setup executable.
- Add new object icons are now background loaded as needed and fade in after they've loaded.
- Separated Horizon data parsing code from saving and loading code for simulations.
- Added the SlimDX library (unfortunately lots of bulk for some seemingly simple in-memory texture manipulation needed for the layered screenshots.
- Updated AForge.net library to the latest version.
- Expanded the Credits page.
- Simplified the crash dialog box. Paired down the on screen text and cleaned up the options for not sending a report and exiting.
- Finishing or closing the tutorial will disable the warning dialog for the remainder of the session.
- Fixed problem with the calculation of the length of time of the first few frames when the program starts up.
- Fixed new bug with saved files being renamed to a single number (i.e.: '2.ubox').
- Fixed problem with menu scrolling twice as far as it was supposed to if you mouse scroll while it was opening.
- Fixed problem with being able to activate controls on a panel (like selecting a textbox or clicking a button) as the form fades out. This would occasionally lead to a crash.
- Fixed problem with 'Create Copy of Included Simulations' not copying files.
- Fixed problem with the Save page not updating the control positions properly if it was showing the scrollbar and was then resized large enough that they weren't needed.
- Fixed problem with HD 20180 community simulation not working.
- Fixed abnormal densities in HD 69830 community simulation.
- Fixed major problem with adding galaxies with the 'Add Object' tool (still work to be done on this).
- Fixed problem with the mouse buttons not switching properly for left handed mouse users. This was fixed, but reintroduced in 2.0.14.
- Fixed file association to show "Open" as default action instead of "Universe Sandbox File" (you may need to run the tool from Options to fix this).
- Fixed problem with new objects effecting particles in the simulation before it had been placed.
- Fixed object properties panel and new body panel from disappearing for 1 frame after a tab click.
- Partial fix to visual problem with newly placed object's projected paths flailing about for the first few frames after creation.
- Fixed some text alignment issues on the Feature Disabled panel.
- Fixed "Continue using the free version" link to go home if there is no previous page to go back to.
- Fixed issue with camera jumping from the Sun to a random star during the opening tutorial.
January 8, 2011 v1-2.0.14
- Major overhaul of mouse and keyboard handling, no more missed clicks.
- Tons of fixes and improvements in preparation for the upcoming 2.1 release.
- Improved input handling code to prevent missed mouse clicks and keyboard presses when the frame rate is really slow.
- When moving objects with the hand tool you can now press and hold the Ctrl key to change their height.
- Changed what happens when the application loses focus, the UI fades but the screen stays bright.
- Added 7 more moons and 2 asteroids to the list of objects that can be added to the simulation.
- Added a new Chart Mode option: Original. This arranges the objects as they appear relative to each other in Live mode but scaled to a cube.
- Trails of destroyed or deleted objects now fade out instead of disappearing instantly.
- Added Apsis information next to the Semi Major Axi (sma) textbox. Hover over the ± text on the right to see the Periapsis and Apoapsis info. Click on it to get the Wikipedia article for Apsis.
- Renamed the 'Systems' folder to 'Simulations'.
- Solar System now properly rotated relative to the Milky Way in 'Powers of 10' simulation.
- Added support for typing numbers with the numeric keypad.
- Labels fade in and out when toggled on/off.
- Applications asks user to install Microsoft .NET 4 if not installed when exiting the program.
- Added the Web Installer for .NET 4.
- Created a stand alone application to setup the UBOX file association.
- Added button to launch new UBOX file association application in Options.
- Update system will now only update to the upcoming 2.1 version if .NET 4 is installed.
- All included simulations are now in the UBOX format (and no longer raw XML files). The built in File Tools utility was used to convert them all.
- Added 'Show FPS' checkbox to View Panel. FPS readout appears on the Simulation panel.
- Added support for pressing ESC key to dismiss message boxes.
- Updated data for Apophis and the star Spica.
- Added a search icon in location bar and removed the go button (just hit enter instead).
- Changed method for handing focus on System Center and Absolute Space. Instead of special code for each type, they are now setup as math points and focus is handled as if it's a moon or planet. This new method also fixed issues with arrow key movement when these focus points are used (as noted below).
- Moved the 'Vivid' color mode to the bottom of the color mode list.
- Saved UBOX files now save the main file as 'objects.xml' instead of 'bodies.xml'.
- Reorganized and cleaned up a notable amount of old code (including code for ring objects).
- XML files saved into UBOX files have 'objects.' added to the beginning of their name.
- Fixed crash after opening the list of 3D modes, but then clicking elsewhere.
- Fixed crash when opening rope panel and then deleting the selected bodies.
- Fixed problem with the Shift key triggering commands when editing a textbox.
- Corrected various spelling errors.
- Fixed problem with web browser only updating every other resize.
- Fixed problem with system scrollbars appearing in web browser on the first page load.
- Fixed flickering cursor in Free mode.
- Fixed problem with Enter key triggering the 'Feature disabled' panel.
- Update system will no longer ask to restart if it's clear the problem is on the server and not local.
- Removed debug code that was saving out gradient textures to the image folder.
- Fixed problem with trails not clearing properly when setting a body to be the 'Center of the Universe' (what trails are drawn relative to).
- Fixed problem with cursor not changing on the main menu button (...).
- Fixed problem with constellation lines flickering when view is zoomed in on a body.
- Fixed problem with background not drawing properly in 3D mode. Thanks to Jeff B. for identifying the problem.
- Fixed problem with 'smooth' moving objects flying out and then back in again. This bug has been around for years.
- Increased the resolution of smooth motion code. This should help with minor visual glitches when starting Chart mode.
- Fixed problem introduced by the new input handling where the view would rotate when the window received focus.
- Fixed problem with arrow keys not moving camera when focused on 'Absolute Space'.
- Fixed problem with arrows keys moving camera too quickly when focused on 'System Center'.
- Fixed problem with trails being repeatedly destroyed every frame after they've faded out (resulting in a slight improvement in frame rate).
- Fixed camera jump after using arrow keys to shift the view and then focusing on a new object.
- Increased ring and chart mode button sizes to make the text fit properly.
- Fixed problem with Velocity arrow not dragging out from objects when simulation is paused.
- Fixed problem with ring objects not being drawn.
- The height of objects relative to the focus no longer zeros when you use the hand tool.
October 27, 2010 v1-2.0.13
- Fixed 3 frequent crashes.
- Improved the automatic update system to better handle problems.
- Improved the automatic update system's ability to detect problems and prompt the user to take action if necessary.
- Improved handling of error messages when you're not connected to the internet.
- Added check to send a success message after the successful update to a release candidate version.
- Updated comparison chart on trial info web pages.
- Rewrote some of the oldest code in Universe Sandbox that calculated the number of frames drawn per second (FPS).
- Updated activation system library.
- Made changes to the way settings data is stored in preparation for a feature in development.
- Prepared trail code for future support of saving and loading the data from a UBOX file.
- Fixed long delay on startup if not connected to the internet.
- Possible fix for an occasional crash of the web browser when the window is resized.
- Fixed problem with stars not showing their saved custom color.
- Fixed crash introduced in last update when adding a single body into an empty system.
- Fixed crash when focused on a small body (like the Earth) and you try to add a much larger body (like a galaxy)
- Fixed crash when body with landing points crashes into another body.
- Fixed problem with mouse not working properly when maximized on secondary monitors.
October 19, 2010 v1-2.0.12
- Controls to add new bodies more powerful and easier to use.
- Planet trails now draw longer on fast computers.
- Added new tools to make editing UBOX files easier.
- Lots of bug fixes and other improvements.
- Major improvements to make adding new bodies, easier and more powerful:
- Add multiple bodies to the simulation without having to click the icon in the add panel for each.
- New ability to set the velocity of a placed body by dragging the mouse after you click to place it and velocity can be relative to the focused body.
- Set the height of a body by dragging when you place a body in auto orbit mode.
- Added File Tools for easy extraction and packaging when manual editing UBOX files. Press Alt+T to show the new window or find the link under "New" from the main menu.
- Trails will now automatically lengthen as long as the frame rate isn't dramatically impacted. You can disable this by un-checking "Auto Length" in the View panel.
- Added Ambient light slider.
- Velocity arrows can now be dragged to adjust the overall speed of a body.
- Bodies can now have negative mass. This may cause strange results with collisions and the orbital element values.
- Launch body mode (on the add panel) now indicated by a crosshair cursor.
- Improved the organization and labeling of the options on the physical properties tab.
- Improved the accuracy of the calculations for the habitable zone around stars.
- Rotate body rings now always visible regardless of distance.
- Added simple LOD system for stars: Stars now become a flat billboard when smaller than a few pixels on screen. This also improves the look of stars from a far distance.
- Height of body from grid indicators added when placing bodies.
- Added text box and preset values to background brightness slider under Screen Option on the View panel.
- Reload sim, load new sim, and window mode toggle buttons now visible when you hover over the open menu (...) button.
- Deleting galaxies now deletes associated dust.
- Added on-screen delete button to properties panel for group selections.
- Added presets for time step text box.
- Screenshots now saved when you release the PrintScreen button on your keyboard (in addition to F12). Press is not detected (only release) because of a limitation of the Windows OS for this key.
- Minor improvement to the accuracy of the size of impact marks made by asteroids (now based on the crater diameter formula proposed by Gene Shoemaker).
- Improved internal handling of dust in preparation for adding a dust saving feature in a future update.
- Universe Sandbox will no longer ask if you want to exit when you end its task from the Task Manager or if you're shutting down or restarting windows.
- Improved the startup settings of the Alpha Centauri simulation.
- Launch body icon now a crosshair.
- Update to launch icon in the new body panel.
- Made internal changes to how multiple body selection is handled.
- System center focus point now smoothed when adding new planets that used to cause a visible camera jump.
- Internal changes to the way materials are handled.
- Added an imaging processing library, AForge, that will be used for live texture manipulation in a future update.
- Minor tweaks to increase dust creation on collisions of bodies.
- Updated the 'Auto Orbit' command to use the same function as the 'Orbit Parent' code when multiple objects are selected (this makes more perfect orbits).
- Removed body viability toggle from view panel.
- Fixed problem with planets not showing up or appearing as a star field on lower end graphics cards. This fix resulted in a slight speed improvement for new lighting system overall.
- Fixed problem with Habitable Zone not updating when you change a star's luminosity.
- Universe Sandbox no longer beeps when using an Alt+key combination (like Alt+T or Alt+Enter).
- Fixed crash when typing non-numbers into the Trail segment text box.
- Ambient light now affects dust (when turned on).
- Fixed problem with Mass, Diameter, Radius text boxes not automatically updating when typing in values.
- Fixed problem that caused body to disappear if you set its mass to zero.
- Fixed problem with text boxes not losing focus when Enter or Tab hit if mouse was over a text box arrow or popup list.
- Fixed ability to toggle labels and highlights independently of body viability.
- Fixed problem with stars not displaying at all if no mass data is available.
- Fixed problem when normalizing zero length vectors.
- Fixed crash when trying to box select a landing point.
- Fixed problem with moving bodies in the screen area to the right of the tabs.
- Surface view can now be triggered by zooming in with the keyboard (and no longer just the mouse wheel).
- Fixed problems with hiding a body when the cursor is over a UI element.
September 2, 2010 v1-2.0.11
- Added HD 10180 - A star similar to our Sun with as many as 7 planets, including one nearly Earth size. Read about it on Wikipedia.
- Added 10 new community created simulations.
- Add a new Fun Thing to Do: Create Your Own Solar System.
- Lights! Stars now emit light.
- Select a body, switch to the physical properties tab, and check 'emit light' to make any body a light source.
- Adjust light brightness with a slider.
- Headlamp feature in chart mode. Never again will chart mode be too dark.
- Turned star glow back on in Chart Mode. Glow now fades out as you get closer to stars.
- Added a sliding button in the Location Bar to exit surface view mode. Keep zooming in on a planet to try out surface view mode.
- Added option to draw bodies at "Actual Size".
- View panel now responds to mouse scrolls when mouse is hovering over the view panel toggle column/button.
- Added icons in upper right corner of screen to toggle full screen/window mode, restart the simulation, and open new simulation.
- Minor tweaks to the look of webpages pages to match the new website design.
- Increased the trail segment length on Our Solar System to 50.
- Setup framework for dual screen support, one screen with the UI and the other without.
(not yet available)
- Minor fix to not display move/rotation tool pallet when planet not visible.
- Fixed problem with tools reseting after load of new simulation.
- Fixed minor graphical issue involving the loading indicator.
- Fixed problem with bounce/combine mode not being indicated in view panel.
- Fixed problem with Camera Orbit being switched on when exiting from Chart Mode.
- Fixed problem with planet/star color showing up black when first created.
- Adjustment to prevent creating new internal styles when the x/+ style buttons switch.
July 16, 2010 v1-2.0.10
- Added the Location Bar. This feature combines the functionality of the former camera focus text box and the find tool.
- Removed the find tool and action tool (which never did anything anyway).
- Moved the 'Center of the Universe' feature back to the camera panel (into the former space of the camera focus text box).
- When you add a new body it will now try to auto orbit around the body you're focused on and not the largest body in the system.
- Switching to Full Screen now uses the active monitor (for those with multiple monitors).
- Fixed crash when using tutorial, arrows are highlighted, and you don't click on them right away. (AELMO)
- Fixed hard crash when starting Universe Sandbox with available screen height of less than 720 pixels.
- Fixed problem with not being able to type in numbers to change slider values.
- Fixed problem with double clicking and moving mouse in text boxes.
- Fixed problem with redirected pages not working properly with forward and back buttons in the built-in browser.
- Fixed problem with UI not displaying after single click on startup.
- Fixed crash if attempting to toggle new light mode that didn't initialize properly
- Fixed problem with key presses being stored up when program wasn't focused.
July 9, 2010 v1-2.0.9
- Added a single time step button (it's hidden and to the right of the play/pause button).
- Added ability to view Wikipedia articles in the menu/help panel.
- Added save and load support for custom 3D models, field-of-view, temperature, and luminosity.
- XML tags (in simulation files) are now case insensitive.
- Added info icon next to body name on property panel.
- Disabled temperate and luminosity settings from updating mass, diameter, and density. Will re-enable in a future release.
- Added info icons for Roche Limit, Habitable Zone, and Hill Sphere (more icons coming in future releases).
- Made changes to the way full screen works, now faster and more reliable.
- Updated FOV icon.
- Changed the way the Roche Limit checkbox works to be more intuitive.
- Properties panel for multiple selected bodies now shows the number of bodies selected.
- Loading now supports multiple <settings> lines within a single <body> tag.
- Fixed problem with some keyboard shortcuts not updating on-screen settings.
- Fixed position lock checkbox to work in bounce mode.
- Fixed crash when Universe Sandbox open and you double click on a ubox file twice.
- Fixed problem with Universe Sandbox seeming to lock up when launched by opening a ubox file.
- Fixed occasional crash from calling an invalid internal timer name before it was initialized.
- Fix to crash identification method to make compatible with error messages in non-english languages.
- Fixed rotation issue with Fomalhaut System sim.
- Fixed soft crash when viewing zero radius bodies in the Radius vs Density Chart Mode view.
- Fixed problem with Open Simulation list not displaying properly on occasion.
June 30, 2010 v1-2.0.8
- Added position lock checkbox for bodies.
- Added Hill sphere and Roche limit checkboxes for individual bodies. Find them on the the Physical properties tab.
- Added FOV (Field of View) slider to the camera panel.
- Changes to ring properties now happen automatically.
- Clicking on checkbox text now toggles the check.
- Added additional data collection for strange bug that causes a trail crash on the 1st frame (still working to track this one down).
- Added close buttons to New Body, Find, & Chart Panels.
- Added option to measure ring size in multiples of the selected body's radius.
- Changed output for crash reports to more easily identify the frequency of different crashes.
- Fixed Orbital elements sliders not always disabling correctly which lead to a crash if you used them.
- Fixed problem of text box arrows & pop windows remaining on screen when the simulation deletes a body.
- Fixed crash when loading simulations with background set to none.
- Fixed problem with the time step popup "auto" button not always working.
- Fixed crash on huge time steps when move tool was in use.
- Trail color transitions now smooth; they no longer appear segmented on color changes.
- Fixed problem with free mode not properly setting new body controls.
- Adjusting the velocity cylinder now works at larger scales (it wasn't working correctly in the Solar System, for example).
- Fixed the spacing and size of the explode popup panel.
June 25, 2010 v1-2.0.7
- UI rendering speed is 10x faster.
- International Keyboard Support (fixes the y/z switch on the German keyboard and French users can now type in numbers)
- Buttons and icons fade in and out when you hover over them.
- Added sliders to control Orbital Elements.
- Text box arrow press sensitivity increased.
- Double click on a simulation in the Open list to open. Also added Open button.
- Right click on a body to toggle properties that used to display with just a mouse hover.
- Resolves problem with controls and menus overlapping improperly
- Resolves crashes from clicking on invisible controls (that shouldn't have been able to be clicked in the first place)
- Text boxes now scroll and work as expected
- Trail segment text box now working correctly.
June 4, 2010 v1-2.0.6
- Fixed problem introduced in 2.0.5 with trial and warning pages being replaced by main menu.
- Fixed crash when opening .ubox files by double clicking on them in explorer.
June 3, 2010 v1-2.0.5
- Added a "Send current screenshot" checkbox to the Feedback page.
- Added the "Auto System" feature from version 1.
- Cursor now automatically hides after a few seconds if window is maximized or full screen.
- Added a Tests folder for simulations that test technical aspects of the simulation engine.
- Screenshot folder button now opens folder and selects last screenshot.
- UI now hidden on startup.
- UI now hidden in introductory tutorial.
- Improvements to Hidden Interface (tab key) usability. Still needs more work.
- Added option to view crash screenshot.
- Use the forward and back buttons on your mouse to open and close the menu.
- Closing menu now resumes simulation if it was playing when menu was opened.
- Added a button in Options to reset the update system if updates aren't being detected.
- Minor improvements to Intro & Tutorial lessons.
- Fixed problem with Lagrange point calculations. The Lagrange simulations now work as expected.
Thanks to Tony of Gravity Simulator.
- Improved startup handing of textures and loading of the menu system to fix a reported crash.
- Fixed issue with hiding the HUD while in a tutorial.
- Fixed problem with box select not selecting behind panels.
- Fixed bug when loading simulations with Orbital Elements. Thanks to NeutronStar.
May 27, 2010 v1-2.0.4
- WASP-12 & Hottest Known Planet
- Lagrangian Points - Earth & Moon Perfect
- Lagrangian Points - L1 of Sun & Earth
- Solar System Jumble
- Menu & Body Properties windows now scroll and expand to fit your screen. All controls now usable on windows only 350 pixels tall.
- Added a What's New and Credits page.
- Navigate the menu with the forward and back buttons on your mouse.
- Added additional simulations thumbnails to main menu.
- Added 'Tidal Lock' button.
- Added velocity and raw rotation x, y, z values to body properties.
- Added 'White' as background option.
- Changed auto camera position to a checkbox in Chart Mode.
- Added button to open last screenshot taken.
- Two new chart mode views: Added Density vs Radius and sort by 'Distance from Largest'.
- Added more options to various text box pop-ups
- Improved look of Chart Mode panel (now with rounded corners).
- Reordered and aligned controls on body properties panel.
- Set Jupiter as center in Shoemaker-Levy 9 sim.
- Added 'Replace Rings' button to Ring properties.
- Added name of body orbiting to orbital elements properties.
- Updated Rho Cancri Solar System.
- Changed focus and camera rotate icons to eyes.
- Slowed the speed of the mouse wheel for scrolling panels.
- Fixed problem with black ring particles
- Fixed problem with combo box selection not full width of box.
- Fixed crash from clicking on invisible UI.
- Fixed problem with holding down Ctrl to rotate body and not rotate associated ring systems.
- Fixed problem with popup not working in new body velocity text box.
- Adjusting velocities with velocity cylinder much more reliable - more improvements coming soon.
- Fixed problem with orbits becoming very elliptical when adjusting the semi-major axis or orbital period.
- Fixed bug with interpreting velocity units in xml files.
- Fixed problem with cursors not changing properly in the main menu.
May 10, 2010 v1-2.0.3
- Two new activities: Speed of Light & Creating Rings around our Moon
- Reorganized View Controls, now in 3 different sections: Simulation, View, & Screen
- Text boxes work much better. Double click to select a single number or unit, triple click to select all text, Home and End keys now work, and simple support for keyboard based cut, copy, and paste (Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V).
- More tooltips for view controls.
- Minor improvements to ring properties panel.
- Added Orbit Parent button for box select.
- Other minor bug fixes.
May 7, 2010 v1-2.0.2
- Delete button (and a create dust button).
- Background intensity slider in view panel.
- Fixes to the product key system for beta users.
- And other minor bug fixes.
May 3, 2010 v1-2.0.1
- Fixed problem with product key system.
May 1, 2010 v1-2.0.0
- Public release of the major update
Legacy Phase 1
February 23, 2009 v1-1.0.424
- Galaxy Clusters - 800+ galaxy clusters including Virgo
- Galaxy Clusters & Brightest 200 Galaxies
- TrES-3 orbiting Star with Protoplanetary Disk
- uses the new procedural asteroid belt feature
- Satellites orbiting Earth - preview version
- uses the new orbital elements feature
- Fomalhaut System - info
- uses the new procedural asteroid belt feature
- Gamma Ray Bursts
- view the location of over 30 Gamma Ray Bursts from 2008
- Gehrels 3 Comet captured by Jupiter in 1970
- watch Jupiter capture a comet in orbit around it
- Seven new simulations/systems.
- Procedural asteroid belts now createable (by editing the simulation XML files).
- Set a body's position and velocity with Orbital Elements (in the XML files).
- See a body's Lagrange Points by hovering your mouse over it and holding down the Ctrl key.
- Rotate bodies and galaxies on their axis with the mouse.
- Rotate bodies by hovering the cursor over them and holding down the N key.
- Move the mouse left and right to rotate the body, while holding down the N key.
- Press the Ctrl or Shift key to rotate the body on the other axises.
- These controls are a bit awkward to use and will be improved in a future release.
- Added 'Density', 'Name', and 'Acceleration' as sortable Chart Mode options.
- Resetting the simulation no longer resets your projectile or explosion settings (this is useful when playing with the pool balls or exploding a space station above a forest moon).
- Hill Sphere color now matches body color.
- Added a toggle to show all Hill Spheres.
- Added a toggle to show all Lagrange Points.
- Background view (Milky Way, Stars, None) now adjustable in the simulation XML files.
- Switched Chart mode to plot from left (smallest value) to right (biggest value).
- System files now support <RA>, <Dec>, <Distance> for plotting positions without XYZ position values.
- Created a 3D model to represent galaxy clusters.
- Added new texture maps for Mimas, Iapetus, Miranda, and a forest moon.
- New distance unit: Redshift
- Removed minimum radius limit for the Explode command.
- Added a black hole button to make the selected body's radius be the Schwarzschild radius.
- Added a Chart Mode 'Make Live' button. This makes the Chart Mode view a live, editable mode.
- Added the star "Eta Carinae" and the galaxy "Triangulum" to the preset bodies list.
- Feedback system now much less likely to fail (now uses the web to submit data instead of an IMAP email server).
- Star color is no longer calculated if set in the XML system file with the <Color> tag.
- Galaxy background orientation button works again.
- Corrected minor issue with the motion of the camera when it moves from one body to another.
- Fixed Andromeda spelling error in New Body preset list.
- Fixed problem with some stars not plotting properly in the Star chart mode.
- Rotation period problem fixed (again adjustable from the control panel).
- Fixed problem with the simulation unpausing when you switched to the control panel and back.
- Parent-Child relationships now recalculated when mass is changed and simulation is paused.
- Fixed problem with impact marks being too small sometimes.
- Fixed issue with camera not responding to a change in the focused body's radius.
- Improved depictions of the largest 10+ galaxies in "Galaxies - Our Local Group".
October 25, 2008 v1-1.0.400
- Chart Mode: Use this to line up bodies by Mass, Velocity, or Diameter.
- Right click to open the control panel (or press Enter).
- Click on the button Chart Mode.
- Right click again to open the control panel.
- Change the chart view with the drop down next to the Chart Mode button.
- Click the Chart Mode button again to exit chart mode.
- Added infinite zoom out (you can now zoom out further than the known visible universe is wide).
- Create galaxies from the preset menu under New Bodies in the control panel.
- Move bodies by hovering the cursor over them and holding down the M key.
- Also hold down Ctrl to only move the primary body (and not the rings or stars).
- New objects to play with: Dice, Pool Balls, Footballs, Baseballs, and Bowling Balls (and they're all to scale).
- More constellations: Added the 88 standard constellations (there were just 2) and a few different filter options.
- Add a find body tool:
- Press Ctrl+F to open the find tool.
- Start typing the name of the body to fly to.
- Press the up or down arrows to fly between bodies found in the search.
- Fixed blurry background image on some computers. Star background will be significantly sharper for some.
- Improved pointer selection of bodies.
- Bounce collision mode now works for a larger range of body sizes (constant values are dynamic and calculated for each group instead of fixed).
- See an object's Hill sphere by hovering your mouse over it and holding down the Shift key.
- Moving bodies works better than ever. Try moving a galaxy. Hover your cursor over a body and hold down the M key. Moving bodies now works in bounce mode.
- Planets fade between colors as you switch color modes.
- Data now loads 4-10 times faster.
- Added a red border when simulation is paused.
- Added a background data & texture loading indicator in the lower left corner of the window.
- Added a Community & Featured group in 'Open Systems' list.
- Added icons for systems in 'Open Systems' list.
- Mousewheel scrolling of the 'Open System' list now works correctly.
- Time step now adjustable even after the interactive trial runs out.
- Set bounce mode default collisions to inelastic (this is more realistic, the old value was 0.4) - Change this value with Shift+i.
- Removed systems: 'Solar System Size Comparison' & 'Star Size Comparison' as they are no longer need with the new 'Chart mode' feature.
- Removed an unnecessary render surface (an internal texture).
- Improvements to log file output.
- Loading of textures now possible from system files although custom textures not yet supported.
- Textures on graphical button now scaling correctly.
- Upgraded to the latest version of nUI, the interface library.
- Added support for creating non-spherical objects.
- Launching small objects (like dice) into really large bodies (like our Moon) in bounce mode doesn't work correctly.
- Launching galaxies in bounce mode give unexpected results (as their collision boundary is currently their radius).
- Zooming in on objects can make distant objects flicker. (zooming in on a star will make constellation lines flicker)
- Trails will jump around unexpectedly in some situations.
- Rotation of objects acts strangely in bounce mode as bodies collide or separate (although works slightly better then in the previous release).
- Some spacecraft are way too large and don't look like spacecraft.
September 19, 2008 v1-1.0.370
- We have another dwarf planet:
Renamed '2003 EL61' to Haumea in all systems and data files.
- Simplified and improved the experience when Universe Sandbox encounters an unrecoverable error.
- Added low resolution galaxy and star backgrounds to better support older graphics hardware.
- Log files now collect more information about graphics hardware.
- Added option to restart Universe Sandbox in safe mode and prompt about this after a startup crash.
- Upgraded to the latest version of nUI (interface library).
- Changed minor planet labels to dwarf planet.
- Corrected zoom issue on intro systems using focus=none.
September 11, 2008 v1-1.0.364
- Added new system: Retrograde Orbit - 2008 KV42
Recently discovered comet (more info)
- Added distance from viewer stat.
Hover over a body to see the info.
- Updated look of body stats.
- Updated look of loading indicator.
- Fixed problem with 3D high-res screenshots.
- Fixed problem with the reset Settings button.
- Added adjustable elasticity in bounce mode:
Current keyboard shortcut: Shift-i
September 8, 2008 v1-1.0.362
- Added adjustable rotation period controls:
Object Properties on the Control Panel.
- Changed button labels to use verbs.
i.e.: 'Yes / No' is now 'Restart / Cancel'
- Fixed issue with Play/Pause button not updating when viewing the Control Panel.
- Fixed issue with Vivid color mode not working.
- File updating issues corrected.
- Minor fixes to settings and license issues.
- Feedback emails now formatted as HTML.
August 26, 2008 v1-1.0.358
- Fixed primary license issue.
- User settings now saved to a 'Settings.config' file.
- Added support for the 'Application' key
(acts like the 2nd mouse button)
- Fixed handing of pressing Enter while editing text boxes in the Control Panel.
August 25, 2008 v1-1.0.357
- Fixed user settings not saving across updates.
August 24, 2008 v1-1.0.356
- Added auto calc for Lagrangian points 3, 4, 5.
- Added 2 new Lagrangian system (under Intro).
- Fixed problem with creating desktop shortcuts.
- Fixed problem with specifying colors in XML files.
- Fixed problem with objs in XML files needing mass.
- Early version of photon torpedoes: Press Y
August 12, 2008 v1-1.0.351
- Two new Fun Things to Do.
- Fifteen+ new systems.
- 3D grid and control of the particle count.
- Added projected paths feature (In view controls).
- Added Name field to Body properties & New Bodies.
(You can now rename moons & planets.)
- Added simple move command for bodies.
- Two Constellations (more to come)
- Added a 'stoplight' marker next to time step that turns red when time step is too high.
- Added more bodies to the New Bodies preset list.
- New background - Stars without the Milky Way.
- Added adjustable settings for 3D modes.
- Added two additional 3D modes (DLP & Cross Eye).
- Improved camera positioning in 3D modes
- Enter key now opens the control panel.
- Made progress on an upcoming feature. :)
- New starting time for Lagrangian Points.
- Better support for low end video cards.
- Added new tags for System XML files:
author, description, tags, etc.
- Changed 2005 FY9 to Makemake; new dwarf planet.
- Settings (on the Settings page) now save on exit.
- Added ability to disable mousewheel.
- Added support for user added Horizon data.
- Menu page loading indicator.
- Fixed crash caused by adding rings to a massive object with a small radius (like a black hole) when using color by velocity.
- Removed "buy a license" links from the main menu once a license has been purchased.
July 13, 2008 v1-1.0.333
- Added drop down for changing the collision mode.
- Fixed common startup crash
(this should fix about 75% of all reported crashes)
- Fixed loading error caused by spaces in XML system files.
- Added better reporting of bad object names in the log files.
- Fixed UI flashing on startup (minor visual glitch).
- Fixed incorrect error message when a comment or feedback fails to send.
- Added check to test if automatic update is broken.
July 8, 2008 v1-1.0.332
- Universe Sandbox now requires a license to use the interactive features beyond 60 minutes.
- Fixed minor issue with Creating Shortcuts
- Added an email link to comments & error windows.
- Added warning message if low on video memory.
July 5, 2008 v1-1.0.330
- Added a warning message when the time step gets too high (this should reduce crashes).
- Added scale info & real time ratio to basic HUD.
- Added additional keyboard shortcuts for laptops.
- New system: Solar System Size Comparison
- Fixed 'Create Shortcut on Desktop' to work with standalone installation.
- Fixed crash when you select 'To Dust' on a body with impact marks.
- Fixed crash when increasing the time step past ~8000 in systems that use yyyy-mm-dd dates.
- Fixed bug when loading data on computers with various international settings. Some cultures uses commas (,) where others use periods (.) and so the masses and sizes were wrong.
- Updated WiimoteLib.dll to the latest version (1.5.2)
June 19, 2008 v1-1.0.325
- Added Galaxy & star data. Galaxy collisions!
- Added eight new systems.
- Auto time step has been significantly improved, but still doesn't work correctly in all situations.
- Added side menu for Open, Save, Reopen, etc.
- Added drop down list to adjust color modes.
- Visual improvements to color modes.
- Fixed issue with the 'Color by Mass' color mode.
- Stereo 3D mode now works with all color modes.
- Streaming data in background for faster startup.
- Play/Pause button & clock now visible by default.
- Various improvements and adjustments to feedback text.
- Added glow toggle in View controls.
- Moved "Tour Mode" button to view controls and renamed "Camera orbit".
- Play/Pause button look and use improved.
- Orbit velocity calculations now work at all scales.
- Menu will now slide up and down if the window height is too small.
- You can now use the keyboard enter numbers in the control panel. Click on the number to edit.
- Dust now effected by Zero Momentum command.
- The Milky Way panoramic was backwards. :)
- Renamed Universe controls to System Controls.
- Renamed Simulation to System Properties.
- Renamed Options to Settings.
May 30, 2008 v1-1.0.312
- Added a new page to the tutorial.
- Fixed an occasional crash when you hit F1 or F2.
- Various additions and fixes to the documentation.
- Moved Next links on Introduction pages to bottom of window.
- Switch to full screen now Alt + Enter (not Ctrl).
May 28, 2008 v1-1.0.311
- Now runs on 64 bit versions of Windows.
- The new menu system should load much more quickly on slow computers.
- Version number changed to 1.0
May 27, 2008 v0.8.310
- Added a verbose mode for the log files (to help with tracking down crashes and problems).
- Added confirmation on Exit.
May 26, 2008 v0.8.309
- New Main Menu System: The main menu and the help system are now integrated.
- New activity: Ring around the Moon.
- New introduction and tutorial rewrite.
- 3D render mode now fully functional. Do you have some red/blue glasses?
- New background image is a high-res panoramic view of the entire sky and Milky Way galaxy.
- Comet crash into Jupiter starts with comet closer to the planet.
- Help system now indicates new page is loading with hourglass cursor and other bug fixes.
- Hover over an object to learn its type:
Planet, Moon, Asteroid, etc.
- Milky Way now correctly oriented on first load.
- Empty Systems won't crash.
- Lagrangian Points calc fixed for complex setups:
Check out the new system: Lagrangian Points.
- Updated to the latest version of Truevision3D.
- Minor bug fixes to the nUI interface system.
- Moved the time display to the top left near the play/pause button.
May 12, 2008 v0.8.302
- Improved appearance of trails in the system: Apophis passes near Earth in 2029.
- Added option to automatically restart on crash.
- Fixed problem with impact marks not staying on bodies in pause mode.
- Fixed problem with trails drawing as straight lines and fading incorrectly after collisions.
- Fixed crash if System file doesn't exist.
- Fixed crash in some systems if running for a long time.
- Fixed crash when you explode a body in Solar System Jumble.
May 11, 2008 v0.8.301
- Added support for creating your own Systems.
Click on New from the main menu.
- Added ability to toggle background galaxy orientation between horizon and realistic.
- Added info on the accuracy of the simulation.
- Added asteroid & black hole to projectile presets.
- Fixed camera shake issue when viewing bodies far from the center of a system.
- Fixed rings stability issues around fast moving bodies.
- Icon added to desktop on 1st run.
- Added option to indicate purchase of software.
- Improved Play, Menu, & Help button handling.
- Help screen now fades in if not ready.
- Tutorial now begins automatically on first run.
- Improved handling of background; now always centered on camera.
- Fixed occasional crash on middle click.
- Fixed the global commands 'Halt All', 'Create Orbit', 'Reverse Time' to work with dust.
- Fixed camera movement in 3D mode.
May 8, 2008
- Fixed culling of halo ring.
- Fixed XML error when running on non-english computers.
May 6, 2008
- Minor adjustments to display of help info.
- Added ability to attach images to comments.
- Improvement to dust creation on collisions in bounce mode.
- Gray bodies (like Mercury) now change colors correctly in velocity and acceleration modes.
- Improved help sliding motion.
May 4, 2008
- Send feedback without leaving the program.
- Added a crash catcher that emails logs files.
- Added known issues information.
- Fonts now load from texture files.
- Fixed problem with help not rendering clearly.
- Fixed crash when you pressed the 1 key.
- Clicking Play & Help buttons no longer close the control panel.
May 2, 2008
- Added a new activity: Perpetual Motion.
- Added a new activity: Solar System Jumble.
- Press C to cycle through color modes.
- Fixed crash that often occurred on exit.
- Fixed density calc bug when bodies combine.
- Minor change to program icon.
- Added more credit information.
- Added close link to the bottom of help pages.
May 1, 2008
- First release of Universe Sandbox.