Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: LGBT Topic  (Read 85500 times)

matty406

Re: LGBT Topic
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
Signed.
Hard to believe that homosexuality is placed in the same severity as murder and treated as such in some places.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
Great. :) Even though I think things like Avaaz inflate the description of their influence, such insanity should be fought whereever it is possible, no matter how small the difference will be.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »
Do I have to sign up?  :-\

I'll sign it if I don't. I think if I don't put my real name it could nullify my vote... I don't really want to... I don't know the website. lol

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Hard to believe that they just want to kill the gays. There's another topic of the Uganda petition in the MC forums too, so I guess this must be really active.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:56 PM »
Doesn't surprise me the slightest when we have religion.

You don't have to give your real name, but you need to give them an e-mail adress. I just wrote my first name, I think.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 10:24:27 PM »
I don't know how this fits in with the current subject matter, but at my school, some of my friends (and I know most people do this) say "That's gay" or "You're gay" to various people, when (specifically for the latter), they aren't even relating to the actual sexual orientation, almost like saying "You suck", but not really. I've brought the topic up with one of them, and he says "there isn't anything bad about them". He also doesn't say it as much anymore, but he still does. It's stupid that they're just trying to fit in with everyone else.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »
Absolutely. Good job in promoting tolerance.

I see it like saying "that's black" or "you're black". It's ridiculous.

How people use it here... They use it both when it is not related at all and when it is supposedly related. Supposedly because they call things "gay" when they're not related at all, like when my group in the class recently presented an election campaign film project for our Communist party, with three people representing nuclear energy, coal power plants and wind energy, where nuclear energy got angry and blew up, and coal energy was blown away along with its smoke by the windmill. At that time, the background changed from polluted land with a depressing grey sky to a green, grassy background with a blue background a sun. Someone called that "gay", and I know why. Because he thinks all gays are careless people who love flowers.
I was considering saying "so what, our Communist party isn't intolerant. You should go vote for the nazis." But of course I didn't.

bojo

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 09:57:22 AM »
I don't know how this fits in with the current subject matter, but at my school, some of my friends (and I know most people do this) say "That's gay" or "You're gay" to various people, when (specifically for the latter), they aren't even relating to the actual sexual orientation, almost like saying "You suck", but not really. I've brought the topic up with one of them, and he says "there isn't anything bad about them". He also doesn't say it as much anymore, but he still does. It's stupid that they're just trying to fit in with everyone else.

Im certainly not homophobic (btw hate that word because hatred and ignorance is not an irrational fear, just a sugar coated way of expressing that someone is an asshole lol) I myself am bisexual, and my brother is a gay female to male transgender (ok that's the honestly i'm not against homosexuality bit out of the way).

I really don't see a problem with someone reffering to an inanimate object or a given situation as 'gay'. It's not what was said but the context in which it was used. To be overly sensitive is borderline insane. I don't remember ever reading about happy and carefree people being upset that their special word was now being used to label people of a specific sexuality. Words are a magical thing, they change meanings and usages all the time, and they always will. New ones are invented, and older ones die.

Being liberal, tolerant and compassionate for other peoples rights to live and express themselves, doesn't mean you have to spend your time being overly sensitive and offended on other people's behalves. You can be offended that's fine, it never killed anyone, you'll soon enough get over it. If the word was used in a context that was the reverse of what you consider to be a respectful one, then by all means speak up. But jumping on people for saying something is 'gay' is just a little over the top.

My 2 cents.

bojo

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »
How come it seems like there are never any females that are homosexual?
Or is it just because they are more nervous to admit it?

Oh there's plenty of gay women. Probably more of them than men, taking into account the male/female population ratios in most countries*.

*This is pure guess work and not to be taken as scientific fact.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »
But why do you think some people call things gay?

Currently a group of people has had that word applied to them. It's not okay to call things you don't like "gay". You might as well call something "Jewish", just saying "it doesn't have anything to do with Jews! I'm just using an identical word with another meaning here!" is a very bad excuse. Especially when I'm almost certain that the "calling things you don't like gay"-meme started by refering to gays, and still largely does that.

The hatred and ignorance is based on the irrational fear of gays somehow being a problem. This fear of a whole group of people is irrational, because you can't just take a large group of people and say they're all the same. It may be mainly hatred and ignorance, but I also think it's irrational fear, too. But hey, the meanings of words change anyways, don't they? :P

Also I'm not liberal, which I don't think has anything to do with being compassionate or tolerant, which I'm trying to, but I agree other people have their right to say it. As long as I can have the right to point out how stupid the things they say are. :) I hope that's not being overly sensitive.

matty406

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
GENTLEMEN I HAVE RECEIVED AN EMAIL.

"Uganda Gay Death Penalty - We Won!!"

"Dear friends,

Uganda's anti-gay law has failed! It looked sure to pass last week, but after 1.6 million petition signatures delivered to Parliament, tens of thousands of phone calls to our own governments, hundreds of media stories about our campaign and a massive global outcry, Ugandan politicians dropped the bill!"

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »
GENTLEMEN I HAVE RECEIVED AN EMAIL.

"Uganda Gay Death Penalty - We Won!!"

"Dear friends,

Uganda's anti-gay law has failed! It looked sure to pass last week, but after 1.6 million petition signatures delivered to Parliament, tens of thousands of phone calls to our own governments, hundreds of media stories about our campaign and a massive global outcry, Ugandan politicians dropped the bill!"

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
EEEEEEE MALES FREAK ME OUT

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
*presses button*

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »
No I pressed the teal button

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »
This one is a small petition to remove a ridiculous, stereotyping application for androids, which is spreading ignorance about the reason why some people are gay.
http://www.allout.org/en/actions/androidapp

I signed it. The ones hosting the petition will probably send you e-mail,s but in the one I just received you can choose not to get more e-mails from them. I know Avaaz sends a lot of e-mails which might be annoying, so sorry about not saying that when I posted the last poll.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
[REDACTED]

...Wow... I did not know we had...just wow... I'm not Shure I could give my speech without possibly offending you so...yeah...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:13:45 PM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2011, 01:09:22 AM »
...Wow... I did not know we had...just wow... I'm not Shure I could give my speech without possibly offending you so...yeah...
What? Just say it. I want to know who I should consider friends or enemies.
If you can't consider people who are born the way they are 100% equal to everybody else, it's you who's something wrong with, not me.

You pretty much "offended" me with that message already, or at least, from the way it's written, I can see you're against equality. I'm not going to waste my time being friendly towards such ignorant people.

If that's a misunderstanding of your message, just tell me.

If it isn't, you should really realize that you're being just as irrational and bigoted as any racist.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:14:42 AM by Bla »

FiahOwl

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2011, 07:50:58 AM »
What? Just say it. I want to know who I should consider friends or enemies.
If you can't consider people who are born the way they are 100% equal to everybody else, it's you who's something wrong with, not me.

You pretty much "offended" me with that message already, or at least, from the way it's written, I can see you're against equality. I'm not going to waste my time being friendly towards such ignorant people.

If that's a misunderstanding of your message, just tell me.

If it isn't, you should really realize that you're being just as irrational and bigoted as any racist.

I didn't know you misinterpreted it as that. I just wanted to post to see if you people were just joking along or something. I guess it is my fault for only reading the first page of there are lots more content. I would have never suspected that you were gay in the first place. And I don't give a *insert random insult here* about this gay shit. Martin Luther king jr took the first step back in the 20th century, and I guess we might be doing the same thing here. We would all become equal.

Honestly, if my best friend was gay then.. I would not care. You would never know. They could be transgendered at birth and have the instinct... Or they could just find their same sex more attractive.

I just want to say to you: "Cool. Finding out more about my fellow members is cool and all.. BUT I HATE GAYS!!! Jk. I honestly "don't care" about what people are as long as they act mature and all.. So yeah, it's cool to know and all.

TLDR; I don't care if you are gay,mentally disordered,racist(ok, I care about this one), as long as you act like a mature, smart, casual human being.

Thanks for reading this.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »
Why are you mixing matureness into it? Why are you placing it next to mental disorders or being racist? Being racist is like being against equality for gays, and being gay is not a mental disorder.
And being transgendered has nothing to do with it at all.
If I didn't act like a mature, smart, casual human being, why would you care if I were gay in that case? It has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

So you consider gays 100% equal to everybody else?

I don't see what there is to joke about at all.

FiahOwl

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2011, 08:13:05 AM »
So you consider gays 100% equal to everybody else?

Yes. Yes I do!

We are born just plain and empty. Life is the Ultimate sandbox. You do what you want to do. If someone calls you stupid for being gay, well, they are in the sandbox too. Just remember we are all equal no matter what. The Criminal who killed 2972937 people is still equal. He just has a lot of people against him.

Yes, we are all Equal from Birth to death.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2011, 08:23:51 AM »
Humans are born with human genes, they do not choose to be humans when they are born. Gays are born with genes which makes them gay, that is a more than 99% certain fact. It would be an obvious choice to choose not being gay if you had the choice, considering the attitudes in societies towards them. I see no reason to pretend it's a choice.

Anyway, good to see that...
Yes. Yes I do!

FiahOwl

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »
Woah, I did not know that. So that means out there there are gay horses, gay crabs, gay cats, etc.

That's new

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »
Not at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Though that fact wouldn't have to imply that it existed in other animals, if those genes only existed within humans. The percentages are also different in other animals. Some species are entirely bisexual, for example.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
And apparently one of my cats is lesbian.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
wait waht...

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2011, 08:17:50 AM »
Russia's conservative party is trying to ban speaking about being an LGBT person in public. People who want to help stopping them can sign on this page:
http://www.allout.org/en/actions/russia_silenced/
You will get e-mail from them, but you can click a link at the bottom of their e-mail to unsubscribe.

The e-mail I got:
We've been talking all weekend with our friend Sasha - a teacher and mom in Russia - and what we're hearing is horrifying. On Wednesday, political leaders in St. Petersburg are voting on a new law that will make it illegal to speak in public about being gay, lesbian or transgender.

Sasha and a broad coalition in Russia are doing everything they can to stop the bill. Yesterday, they organized one of the biggest demonstrations ever in support of equality - but still the international community is not paying attention. They need support from around the world - and they need it fast.

www.allout.org/russia_silenced

Because Russia is powerful, most world leaders have stayed silent. But if we raise our voices now, we'll shine an international spotlight on the issue that will be impossible to ignore.  

Will you take 2 minutes to add your voice to our urgent call? We'll deliver the petition to Russian embassies around the world and push the issue to the top of the international agenda:

If the law passes this week in St. Petersburg, it could quickly lead to a crushing of freedoms throughout all of Russia. Moscow, the largest city in the country, already said they were looking into passing the same law - paving the way for officials to make it national. Our friends in Russia believe that stopping the bill in St. Petersburg can derail the plan to take this law nationwide.  Many around the world have been reluctant to criticize the ruling party led by President Medvedev and Prime Minister Putin, but their party appointed both the mayors of Moscow and St. Petersburg and they've gone on record in support of the proposed laws.  

Russia is already a dangerous place to be out and open as an lesbian, gay, bi or trans (LGBT) person. Courageous pride marchers were brutally attacked and detained by Moscow police last summer - for the simple act of holding their heads up high in public. If this bill passes, even the small victories that the LGBT movement in Russia has won will be wiped out - and pride marches, cultural festivals, and even the distribution of leaflets in the streets will be considered illegal.

Moments like this highlight exactly why we launched All Out just under a year ago: to stand with our friends around the world when they’re under attack, and to keep opportunistic governments from playing politics with fundamental rights. Please sign this urgent call, share it with your friends, and stand in solidarity with our brave friends in Russia - Coming Out, Side by Side LGBT Film Festival, and the Russian LGBT-Network - who are refusing to be silenced:

All the best and All Out,
Andre, Emmy, Erika, Flavia, Guillaume, Jeremy, Joseph, Nita, Oli, Tile, Wesley and the rest of the team at All Out

SOURCES:

Russian lawmakers back fines for gay 'propaganda'
www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iN30TwwunCPBtqr3Pnt0fxHgrRaQ?docId=CNG.4a103f4c12c31f010418ccb1595560e0.371

Russian's protest: detained by police
www.thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2011/11/17/371135/russians-protest-st-petersburgs-anti-gay-propaganda-law-with-lunch-plates-are-detained-by-police/

Tolerance, not gay bans
www.themoscownews.com/editorial/20111117/189213196.html

Russia's war against rainbows
www.latitude.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/russias-war-against-rainbows/

Russia’s gays under attack as MPs back fines for ‘gay promotion’
en.ria.ru/analysis/20111118/168818571.html