Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Steam version crashes Windows completely!  (Read 3374 times)

buckfuts

Steam version crashes Windows completely!
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »
To start, I run Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
A couple of weeks ago, I impulse bought US2 directly from Steam (unfortunately before I realized there was a stand alone version that actually works). When I initially installed and ran it, I played the tutorial for about 20 minutes and it went to the blue "memory dump" screen and rebooted. the next couple of times it never made it past the load screen and then blue screen again. After that I looked on your and Steam's sites and tried the stuff on your sticky plus a couple of other things I found in other posts, but still, best case scenario, it opens and a minute or two later, memory dump and reboot.
The one thing that seems to be off is, when I try to verify the integrity of the local files it says "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired". I have not found anything about how to reacquire them on either of your sites. It doesn't change when I uninstall/reinstall the program. You would think there would be a manual way to find that file and reload it, but the message is too vague to manually fix it.
According to Steam, I have opened the game more than ten times (one of the badges, woohoo!) yet I only have 30 minutes game play. Believe me, I would have played more than 30 minutes the first time alone if it was possible.
Also, it does seem to generate logs. if you want them. I don't see anything error related in them though.
Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.
P.S. Since I probably can't get a refund from steam, is it possible to get a stand alone version for a lesser amount? I would like to be able to play this, but I'm kind of annoyed that I spent money just to get a program who's main function seems to be to kill Windows and make me spend weeks trying to search two sites posts for nothing helpful.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Steam version crashes Windows completely!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
I'm really sorry you're having this problem. I wish I knew why that happened.

Just sent you an email to the address you entered on the forum. Reply to that when you get a chance.